Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Dynamat vs Fatmat vs Eastwood Thermocoustic.....sound deadening expierence needed

Im looking at sound deadening my 67' GTO the spring. Im looking at Eastwood Thermocoustic, Dynamat, and Fatmat. Dynamat seems awfully proud of their product at almost twice as much as the Fatmat and Eastwood has some pretty poor reviews with heat related issues etc. Im just wondering who on here has used these products and if you were satisfied with the products? Is dynamat worth the extra $$? I know its the industry standard and Ill pay the extra $ if it really truly is that much better but I hate to toss $ out the window like that. Also when i do this should I just do the floor or should I do the door panels, roof, etc?

-Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Country Flag: United States
      I used dynamat since it seemed like the best. Shop around on eBay and amazon to find the best deal and buy in bulk to cut down on the price. Dynamat worked out real well for me. I can't remember the exact numbers but I measured the db before and after while driving around and it was significantly less.

I used the Fatmat and it seemed to cut and stick just fine. The car does not seem to drone or rattle, which was my concern. Stereo sounds good with it. I don't know what else to say, I'm pleased.

Do a search on this site...This has been disscused in length numerous times. ANYTHING that comes in a roll is asphalt based and is not a true sound deadening material. Also look at the reviews of eastwoods product, even on their own site! And let me tell you from first hand experience with fatmat that if it doesn't work out for you, it is almost impossible to remove. If this is a project that you are going to sell in the next few years, use whatever. But if this is your baby and you are going to keep it forever dynamat or second skin IS worth the extra money
      Little know fact: Cocaine is the 2nd most addicting white powder in the world, second only to fresh snow

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

There is a heat insulation similar to dynamat and the others that is about 3/16 thick. It is used on fire truck cabs and such, I cant remember the name but its wicked stuff and its not to much more that dynamat.

Quote Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
      That is a great deal.. its what I used to cover my whole floor pan. I'm happy with it. I also used jute padding to absorb sound.

I'm using Eastwoods stuff for my ceiling... its seems virtually identical too. IMO you can't go wrong with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by SShep71 View Post
      There is a heat insulation similar to dynamat and the others that is about 3/16 thick. It is used on fire truck cabs and such, I cant remember the name but its wicked stuff and its not to much more that dynamat.
      What's this stuff? I live in Florida and want to get my car as cool as possible

That link was well timed. I was about to order something, and at this price, I went ahead and chose the Dynamat. Thanx!
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

How many sq feet to do an average size car? i.e., Camaro, Nova....

Assuming only one layer on the firewall and floors.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

I can't speak to how much I will need, but I ordered 3 boxes of the Extreme which is about 105 sq ft I think. I have another 1/2 box which I already had, so we'll see if that's enough. I ordered 5 boxes of the Dynaliner, but that's only 60 square feet. This is for a 71 Firebird, I'll have the install done in a couple of weeks.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com