Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 55 TBird

55 TBird

When I first bought this car in 2011 i got it back together and drove it around as my daily and loved it. Gave it a mild engine build but pretty much a standard car as it rolled off the showroom floor all those years ago.
      Name:  IMG_5984.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  106.6 KB
      Then a few years ago now I decided I wanted to build it with all the goods.
      So the engine and trans was pulled and sold, which made space for a 351 Cleveland stroker and TKO600. Name:  IMG_5258.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  127.2 KBName:  IMG_5290.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  146.4 KB
      We(Dad and I) sat the block and trans in the placement we wanted and worked everything into place from there. Starting with a front engine plateName:  IMG_5335.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  127.1 KB
      The engines in these are placed behind the front suspension which is good though we set it back further and lower to gain some good clearance and of course CG. We also altered the pedal linkages so the new brake booster and clutch master is swapped over for clearance. You can see in photo above.
      Then we pulled the body to work the chassisName:  IMG_7725.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  135.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_7201.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  151.2 KB
      With the body off we made up a chassis bed, my old shed doesn’t have the best floor and much easier to have it elevated. You can see in the photo above we did away with the leaf spring suspension. I wanted to have some adjustment on the rear roll center. I am still getting a grasp on all of it but learning as we go. Started out as 4 link style but decided to change to 3. Lower arms are parallel with the ground though So is the upper arm which I am thinking of giving it adjustment to tune anti squat?
      The diff is a 9” with 31 spline and old school LSD. I had a set of 3.5:1 gears so I am starting with that and see how it feels. Will give it a top speed of 180mph if the engine takes it there.
      Disc brakes all round. I have used a set of 90’s Falcon rears with a hub style handbrake shoe. Up front I am using a set of Mustang 11 drop spindles and the GM caliper. Originally I wanted to keep the 15” wheel with White wall so disc size and brake options are limited. But looking at a wheel like this oneName:  Adjustments.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  58.4 KB
      I think it will give a great look and open up options for better brakes. Stock stuff will be fine for street driving anyway, which will be most of what this car will do. Unless I find a club to do some track days.
      Well there is a bit of an intro to the build and will keep posting as it progresses.
      I am definitely interested in guidance
      I do this as a hobbie and enjoy fabricating what ever possible. As you can imagine there is not much out there for Tbirds in the aftermarket.

Country Flag: United States
      Welcome! That will be a fun ride when your done. What you've done so far looks great.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Country Flag: United States
      Awesome car to build! I love seeing these get hot rodded, so many people view these as a car you do not deviate from original, it's refreshing to see them upgraded.

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Looking forward to keeping up with this one, as I love seeing alternative vehicles being modified, especially from the 50's.
      cheers Russell

My 1957 Pontiac Star Chief powered by a 5.3 LS with a 4L60E transmission, on 18" US Mags Big Slots.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com