Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I just got myself a 87 Monte SS Aerocoupe. I was wondering if you still had the files from the chassis you were designing. I am wanting to use C6 based front suspension and IRS rear suspension set-up and the base of you chassis would be a great starting point to design the chassis around. I mainly use Rhino, but can import most other files 3d based files.

PM me if you are willing to share your file.

Love yours build looking forward to more info as you go.

Any updates

I have been chugging away after work and on weekends a little, motor/trans is in, been working on the fuel lines, wiring, exhaust. Seems like I fix one thing & break something else. I have been fighting welding the floors, PIMA. Most recently I have added the AC pressure switch to the GMPP harness & added the signal lead for the pwm fan. This fan is variable speed & is controlled from the ECM based on engine temperature. Trying to figure out the reverse lockout circuit now, and someone said the E67 can control cruise too. I'd like to hook that up too.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

GM parts direct shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      Agreed, GMPartsdirect.com has good prices on parts, my problem with them is the shipping is crazy.
      If you read the fine print and yes it's a bit of a slog they only charge 1o% over cost on parts but clearly state they make it up on shipping. They are a GM dealership somewhere along the mid-Atlantic eastern seaboard. I would suggest Scoggins-Dicky here in Texas they were number 1 in GM performance sales for years vary knowledgeable and helpful ship world wide aiways found them vary professenial and reliable pricing is good shipping is fair. They were the ones who developed the TPI base for vortec heads not GM in house project that I don't think paid off. The inherit limitations of the TPI long runners pretty much cancel the flow advantage of the Vortec heads plus the base alone cost $300. They built a dyno mule with their Vortec base Eidebrock runners and LT-4 Hot cam and only pulled about 360 HP disapointing in my view, a carbed setup with a performer RPM/airgap would be right around 400HP. In fact Popular Hot Rodding built such a motor and made 411HP on the dyno at the crank. My understanding is they have pallets left all over the warehouse. Still at the time it looked like an easy homerun, till people began converting VICTOR JR & TORKERII INTAKES TO MPEFI for about the same money.
      In fact I'm one of those people converted a Victor jr 2V with an Accufab 1200cfm monblade TB had a friend help machine a vary simple adaptor and was soon making 425HP 430 TORQUE on an AFR 180cc headed 383 in a 91 firebird all controlled by a DIY Megasquirt built from a kit bought at "DIY auto tune" great people and no experience with building electronics before ZERO with alot of E-mail support from them and slogging thru the MS Megamanual which has gotten to be truely mega. Not going to lie to you it wasn't all smooth sailing had to redoe some small bits. The principal guys at DIYautotune just recently published a book on the subject of efi vary complete w.o getting bogged down in math and formulas. these guys have tuned hundereds of engines and give hands on practical advise and there is a vary helpful community on the forums as well. I say go for it build the version 3 board its only a little more than the version 2.2 and about twice as much as the 1 board but its much more capable and adaptable. the system uses cheap and readily available GM sensors & switches or can be easily calibrated to use others. I have a little over $300 in the Megasquirt reused most of the tpi sensors including MAP, TPS, IAT,CLT , small cap HEI, FUEL
      RAILS UPGRADED fuel pump USING THE LATE MODEL CORVETTE new FUEL FILTER/ REGULATOR AND A LS1 FUEL PUMP ALL SOURCED USED LOCALLY. Its my DD and has been for over 4yrs now. Fires right up and drives better than on the original TPI MAYBE A LITTLE LOST TORQUE AT THE VARY BOTTOM BUT THATS WHERE THE 2V AND 180CC HEADS COME IN TO BUILD POWER IN A USABLE RANGE STILL PULLS STRONGLY THRU ABOUT 62-64 HUNDERED, FAR BEYOND WHAT THE TPI EVER COULD, VARY HAPPY AND LOVE THE LOOK WHEN I TELL people BUILT THE ecu my own self tuned it too.YOU"LL NEED to use a wide band O2 SENSOR SETUP TO TUNE WITH (I was able to barrow one from a friend doing a MS to his Fiat 124 Spider/vert)THEY HAVE COME WAY DOWN IN PRICE ABOUT $199 OR LESS.
      Last edited by Firehawkslp; 09-06-2013 at 05:46 AM. Reason: ciearity and puncuation spelling?
      94% of Americans say "OH SH=T!" as they dive into a foxhole the other 6% are from Texas & say "Here HOLD my beer and watch this."

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Benjamin Franklin, 1759

I know I am slow. BUT IT'S ALIVE. Ignore the mess in my garage.

Full 3" duals, X pipe, FLowmaster mufflers.

http://youtu.be/tiH1QSCI7DA

Scot
      86 Monte SS

It's ALIVE!!!!! Sounds great Sam, congrats!
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Big congratulations man! Time to enjoy the fruits of all your hard work!
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

Sounds great! Congrats!
      Ed Cooney
      '96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, LT1/4L60, full bolt-ons & Solomon's tune, 18" Ridler wheels, lowered with Belltech springs

‘70 Buick Skylark Convertible project w/ GN drivetrain

'91 Formula, pending track day build

good job Sam cool!
      Dale Hayes
      87 turbo t
      turbonetics t60, pet stock location intercooler, ride tech coilovers, rjc exhaust, 60lb injectors with tt chip, ported heads and intake, ported tb, baer brakes, roh 17 inch wheels....now need to finish paint and get it put back together.

Nice work! She sounds good.
      81 Regal, impersonating a Grand National with a 488 Olds
      Build thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ith-a-488-Olds

shaweeeetttttttt
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Wish I could say I had that kind of progress on my swap! Great job! Car sounds amazing!
      Jim
      1986 Monte Carlo SS

Any more progress Scott? Would like to see some picks of how the t56 magnum fit in your car and the shifter location if you have any. Trying to decide if that is the route I will take. I am tired of trying to find an f body t56 in my area for my car.
      Thanks, Jim.
      Jim
      1986 Monte Carlo SS

So it is obvious I suck at posting updates, and suck at getting this thing back on the road.

But the major stuff is done, engine's in, trans in, drive shaft, rear, brakes updated to 13" C5 front & 12 LS1 rear discs.

Motor pic. Brake booster is off because I changed the clutch some, it is hard to push, so I changed the geometry a bit.

I dont have the seats in it to gauge the position of the shifter location, but seems like when I was figuring it, it wasnt much different than the location of the shifter when I had the LT1/T56 in it. Maybe an inch or two. The shifter Handle for the magnum is different than the regular T56, so I made my own. I got a metric bolt that has the same threads as the shifter ball & welded it to a 5/8 rod,put a small bend in it, welded it to a flat 3/8 piece with 2 holes that mounts to the shifter stub. I need to redo the floor around the trans, not enough clearance, & trans hit it 7 rattles.

Scot
      86 Monte SS

Thanks Scot. I understand about the slowness. Your car is really coming together nicely.
      Jim
      Jim
      1986 Monte Carlo SS

Looking good! That T56 fits a lot better than my ZF.

Scot, thanks for the pics and replies about the magnum. You won't believe it, but after I posted on your thread I just happened to look on craigslist. Someone just 15 mins. south of me was unloading a t56 out of a '02 T/A WS6 at a great price! Picked it up yesterday. Even if I have to have it gone through I will still come out ahead money wise.
      Jim
      1986 Monte Carlo SS

Cool, good for you. That was my problem too was finding a used one. And I figured that once going through it price would be about the same as a new magnum, so I got it. Rated for more power, has both electronic & mechanical speedo connections, & all new. So I went that route. Only thing is different on it from the close ratio LT1 T56 I had is the two overdrive ratios. The one I had before, 6th was .50:1, this one is around .6x:1.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Has the owner ever stopped you in town to take a look at what youve done with it?
      RMP- Rolling Mean Power

Quote Originally Posted by BurtRenolds View Post
      Has the owner ever stopped you in town to take a look at what youve done with it?
      What are you talking about?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com