Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Converter choice

I am pulling together all of the parts for my TH400 build for BadAst.
      I will be ordering the rebuild kit from Jakes.
      I will use a reprogramming kit from Trans-Go and I have quote requests out to Coan and Neal Chance for converters.
      I will probably do the same with Hughes and Continental before I buy.
      Any thoughts on these manufacturers? Suggestions?
      Mark

Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Will you be adding in an overdrive to the equation? That decision makes all of the difference in the world. What final drive ratio? I have followed your van project forever and would be glad to help set up your converter. We have some pro-touring design secrets that will leave you smiling from ear to ear.
      /Steve

Hi Steve,
      Thanks for taking an interest in my project!
      A Gear Vendors O.D. is very much in the picture, down the road of course.
      I have talked with Marty Chance from Neal Chance Converters and he said he could build me an all-around converter for $1400. Based on their Pro-Street design, it would be able to handle Power Tour, Drag Race or Autocross.
      I got a quote from Coan of $850 BUT they didn't call and talk to me about it...
      I also have a quote out to Jakes Performance but haven't heard anything back.
      I would like very much to hear what you have to say and what you can do. Here in the thread , private emails or over the phone. PM your info if you want to do it that way.
      Thanks!
      Mark:

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
      I also have a quote out to Jakes Performance but haven't heard anything back.
      Thats the guy I would listen too. His TH400's are the best out there bar none.

You'd be surprised how cheap you can get into a "Gear Vendors" overdrive. I have 2 of the 400# units, and I could hunt down one of the 800# units on the cheap too.
      http://www.maximum--overdrive.com/products.html
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Dialing in a converter for a three speed with one to one high gear is fairly simple. The right converter for an OD car is quite different. If you are not setting up the OD up front, be sure to negotiate a stall adjustment. From there some excellent --legendary even-- converter builders think that snapping your foot of the gas is what happens at the end of the 1320 and everything else is just getting back to your pit stall at idle. There is very little consideration for road racing. The end result is usually sloppy converter. Then I get calls from people wondering about engine braking when what they really need is a proper converter.

I know you're running a big block, but I don't know with detailed engine specs. For a big block in a 3000 lb plus vehicle I usually spec a billet converter @ $879 or $1079 if output is over 1000HP or 900 Ft lbs.
      Last edited by Steve Chryssos; 03-03-2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: typo

Jim W from trishield performance!

Tri-Shield Performance
      Pine City, MN. 55063

Email: [email protected]
      Phone: (612) 532-2207
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

ps lifetime warrenty
      Clipping from v8buick via Jim Weise

Due to positive feedback from my converter customers on the board here, I have had a number of calls lately, and folks talking here about our 9.5" converters.. so here's the story..

I have been working on this program with these converters for about 5 years now, and have come up with some great combos for our Buicks.

These 9.5" converters were developed in customer and shop cars.. fit TH350 and TH 400 transmissions, and I get some very good prices on them, below wholesale, for these very high quality units.. they are built as well, or in some cases better than the "big name" companies. For a whole lot less money.. Of course everything is furnace brazed, full roller bearings, those of you who have worked with me in the past or seen my work, know that I have nothing to do with sub par quality parts.

A whole bunch of users here run our STG 1 9.5". This is the converter that helped Alan Wander get his 4000 lbs 69 convert into the 11's. Do a search on the board, you will find his feedback on it. Our most popular fixed pitch converter.Wholesale on this converter is $527.14, our price is $465.00. Stall speed is 2500 to 4000 rpm, depending on your desires and combo.

Several fellow board members have our STG 2 9.5" unit (stronger stator for 600+HP and or a heavy car.. Wholesale cost on that unit is $698.50, our cost is $606.00 Stall 3000 to 5500, to fit your needs.

George Sweesy runs our Bulletproof STG 3 converter, in his 850+ HP tube chassis car, which has run numerous 1.20 60' times, which is really quick for a 3200 lbs car..This converter has all the strongest parts available, including a forged cover (back half of the converter that bolts to the flywheel).
      This unit wholesales for $985, our price is $889.00 Stall 4000 to 5500 to fit your combo. Trans Brake OK with this unit.

The secret to a good Buick converter is understanding the torque of the engine.. and since we build and dyno dozens of SB and BB Buick's of all types, I can estimate your power accurately, and direct the build accordingly to fit your needs. From Stock, to Procharged, to dual tunnel ram strokers, we have built and dynoed them, and have the numbers on hand.

All my converters can be sent back, and changed to any stall speed you wish, or changed from a STG 1 to STG 2 or 3, or simply re-stalled to fit your combo as it evolves. Cost is $125 labor, plus any parts you may wish to upgrade.

As far as durability..

Including the VP stuff, we have sold hundreds of converters over the last 9 years, and I have yet to ever have one fail.

Not one

So if you use one of my converters in the application that you originally bought it for, and it fails, I will repair/replace it.. for life at no charge.

Thx

JW
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Well, I have ordered all of the internals for the trans build from Jakes Performance. Full race kit and a smooth drum and he is throwing in a few extras. The stuff should ship tomorrow so I hope to have it by Saturday. I will haul all of the parts along with my core up to a friend in Bay City to put it all together.
      I am working with Steve on a converter design and will get him kicked off in a day or two.
      Thanks for your help Steve, very much appreciated. I wish we could have hooked up while you were in my neck of the woods last week. There's always Back to the Bricks and Woodward, right?
      Mark
      Mark:

Well the trans build is well on it's way. I found a 1971 400 core at my buddies "yard" and picked it up for 125.00. Cheap enough and it was running when it came out of a motorhome. The box of parts from Jakes came in Monday so I hauled the core and all of the parts up to Bay City and another friend is going through it. If you need ANY trans work done you need to talk to Fred. Very smart man when it comes to transmissions. He started pulling the trans apart as soon as we had it on the bench and the first thing he said was "somebodies been in here before"... Snap rings were in the wrong positions and parts were missing that he could see with just a quick cursory look. He was very happy with the Jakes kit also. Everything he needed was there and it was quality stuff. He said I'll have one stout 400 when he's done with it. Thanks Fred, I appreciate you taking the time to do this for me.
      Mark
      Mark:

I also worked with Steve at Twist Machine to build a converter. It came in yesterday and looks good. I'll get pics shortly. Thanks Steve! Excellant turn-around for a custom build. He set it up for 2700-2800 stall and it should work well with the engine set-up I have currently.
      I also pulled the trigger on a GV unit yesterday. Used "J" model. A little old but I talked to Mike at Gear Vendors and he said it will do fine behind the 509. It is set-up for a 1310 yoke which isn't really a problem and it will have the old analog style electronics but I can always upgrade if they become problematic.
      Not getting any "build work" done this week but I have pulled a lot of stuff together to keep it moving forward. I have two days this weekend so I'll get some real work done.
      Thanks for looking!
      Mark
      Mark:

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com