Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

HELP cant keep car running after changing gas tank/fuel sender

The car is sitting in my driveway as I type, its a 1969 camaro. The bottom of the gas tank was caved in and it had damaged the fuel sending unit (dont ask me how, was like that when I bought it.) The car started and ran fine before my repair.

Today I replaced the corroded fuel lines with a replacement stainless steel peice (went in perfect and I blew compressed air through it before attaching it) I also replaced the gas tank and fuel sending unit, its a single line with no return. Which is then connected to a stock mechanical fuel pump that goes to a clear fuel filter then the stock holley 4 barrel (350 small block)

The gas gauge now works (didnt before) and the car started right up. I let it run for awhile to check for fuel leaks. Then the car died. It started right up and then died again. After a few more starts/dies it now wont start at all. It will turn over fine but it wont fire up.

I checked and I'm getting fuel, I can see it in the clear filter.

Can anyone help! Thanks in advance.

Country Flag: United States
      did you put gas in the tank? sorry had to ask...

open your gas cap too, leave it off while you try starting it. After you get it running change out that clear fiter for a nice AC metal one.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

yes, I actually put gas in the tank lol. I even put in more to make sure it wasnt a case of the fuel sending unit not reaching the bottom. I put 9 gallons in there.

I had your idea about the gas cap and had it on and then off. As for your suggestion to the fuel filter I agree but since I knew I was chasing down fuel issues it was just easier for the time being to have a visual way of seeing the gas move.

Let me ask this, I know you can burn out an electric fuel pump if you run it dry (some anyway) Does this apply to mechanical pumps. I would guess not since people run out of gas but it just crossed my mind since the fuel line was empty.

any chance that rust got to the carb before you installed the fuel filter? Is there an in carb filter? Is the new filter installed in the correct orientation? did you crank the engine with the hose disconnected at the filter to see if it is still pumping? Any possibility of a kink somewhere in the line between the tank and the carb?

I never removed the fuel filter, it stayed in line the whole time for just that reason. Just in case something was in the tank I couldnt get out. So yes the filter is the correct orientation. Also there is no kinks, I checked. There is only 2 rubber hoses and both are very short and perfectly straight. The rest is the stainless steel I just installed and I double checked that for kinks... none

I will disconnect the hose at the filter tomorrow morning to make sure I'm getting gas pumping through but I think it is because I can see it in the filter.

The one thing you mentioned, the in carb filter? I'm kind of new to all this and didnt know there was a fliter in the carb. Its a stock holley 4 barrel on the stock 350 motor in a 1969 camaro. How do I check this filter and where is it???

Thanks alot for your guys help

Stock Holley? is it a Z?

On holleys theres a screen in the inlet side of the bowl. Originals had a brass sintered filter. First off see if you are getting fuel into the pump.

Running a manual pump with no gas will not hurt it.

Try to put some gas up front. Maybe it wasn't running long enough to prime the lines. Use a small funnel to fill the front bowl with fuel.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Well I've got some ideas I'm going to try out to maybe narrow it down. I'm going to fill a 2 gallon gas tank and put the line from the fuel pump in there and see if that works, try and knock out the parts on the back half.

Then Ill do what you guy suggested and see if fuel comes out before and after the filter into a jar or something.

I'll keep everyone posted and I appriciate all your help more than I can say. I'm kind of new at all this but I am enjoying it alot!

Got spark?

HAHA, I just played with the exact issue for the last 2 weeks in my nova. It came down to me replaceing the fuel tank and sender and just about all of the fuel line. Also in the middle of all of this, I managed to find a piece of something lodged in my bowl float needle. YEa, I was gettin gas in my glass filter too but the bowl was bone dry. Pull it off, clean it out and make sure that the bowl float assembly is in working order. Re-Blow all your lines and see what happens. How much fuel are you getting in the glass filter and can you see a steady pulse of fuel coming in, if not you've got a blockage somewhere. Let us know what ya find out
      72 Chevelle Done!

67' Hell Camino- Under the knife

Some day: Porsche GT3/ C6R inspired 69

Thanks for everyones help! It looks like I tracked down the problem. I took the hose off leading from the fuel line into the fuel pump and ran a rubber hose into a 2 gallon gas tank and pulled the line off the carb before the filter and turned it over. Almost nothing came out so I'm pretty sure its the fuel pump.

Now for more help lol. I bought a new pump and popped the old one out. The guy at the parts store gave me a tip to use grease to hold the piston up while installing a new pump because it falls down... good advice I'm sure but heres the issue. I cant get the piston up lol. It has a light sheen of grease and I can barely get any grip and even then nothing....

Is there a trick of the trade or a tool (hopefully a tool I can buy that I need?

Thanks a million for everyones help, just a bit more to go hah.

Just to give some closure to this topic, the replacement fuel pump worked! I had thought the grease would hold the piston up on the mechanical fuel pump but I realized it just stops it from dropping fast. I greased it up and held it up with my left hand while I wiggled in the pump with the right hand... perfect.

Just to be safe I replaced all the hose running from the pump to the carb and put on a new filter. I also pulled out and cleaned the little screen on the holley but it looked fine to me.

Thanks again for everyones help, gonna go take it for a cruise now

good job, im pretty good with the left finger wiggle and right hand push up too, I guess from drive-in movie practice but thats for another forum....but just a note for others.
      There is a 3/8" bolt hole on the front of the block that runs exactly perpendicular to the fuel pump push rod. Pull that short bolt out and install a 1 3/4" full thread bolt into the hole finger tight to put pressure against the push rod to hold it up. Also make sure you have a 1/2" bolt in that hole or you will get a mysterious oil leak.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

hah, thats the kind of hint I was hoping for! To little to late, but yeah that would have been 10x easier

A hacksaw blade makes a great fuel pump rod holder-upper!
      You can hold the pushrod up with it using one hand, and use the other hand to position the fuel pump on the rod, slide the blade out and install the bolts.

Also bump the engine around so the pushrod is in the shortest position, not up on the lobe, makes pump replacement much easier.
      David
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com