Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Softer Coil Spring Rates

My current combo is a bit on the stiff side, years ago when building this car my vision was cruiser during the week and casual autocross on the weekends. Well the reality is I use this car as a spirited cruiser and in 5 years have only auto-crossed once on a Hot Rod Power Tour stop.

I'm thinking of softening the suspension a little bit, currently it rides nice on smooth roads (of course) but it struggles to absorb impact from any type of quick/harsh bump on the road. Even at low speeds (driveway curbs for example) the car feels too stiff like it rocks over the curb, instead of the suspension absorbing it.

Front:
      SPC upper and lower control arms w/tall upper and lower ball joints
      UMI 4050F 530 lb rate springs
      Spacers in driver LCA only to fix the lean
      ridetech HQ single adjustable Fox shocks
      Hellwig sway bar with poly end links
      255/40/18

Rear:
      UMI lower trailing arm, poly bushing on frame side & rod end on axle
      UMI upper trailing arm, rod end on frame & rubber bushing in axle housing
      Hypercoil 11" 175 lb rate springs
      ridetech HQ single adjustable Fox shocks
      Hellwig sway bar
      285/40/18

The chart shows what UMI suggests when using coil-overs up front. Assuming this is also accurate for non coil-overs, then the 530 lb springs I have now are way too stiff for my small block Olds with alum heads & intake, lightweight battery and no heat or AC.

Name:  UMI coil over rates.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  9.9 KB

Also, UMI 2" drop rear springs are 135 lbs rate, again suggesting my current 175 lbs rear springs are too stiff.

I'm thinking of changing to 11" 150 lbs rear coils, will lower it a touch more and also ride a little softer. Then up front move to a 400 or 450 lb spring. I'm not opposed to switching to coil overs up front, but would rather not do coil overs in the rear since I just finished my exhaust and I really don't want to risk having to move it.

Thank you for any suggestions and comments.
      Last edited by Mr Nick; 05-24-2020 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Change from SC&C to SPC

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com