Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

T56 magnum shifter location for factory console 1970 Firebird

I'm trying to finish up the transmission tunnel on my 70 Firebird, and I need to know what the best position is for the shifter, assuming I plan to use the factory 4-speed center console. I received the transmission with the shifter positioned to the rear most point in the rear shifter compartment (I think this is the standard spot for 2nd gen Camaro), but I'm wondering if I should flip the shifter around so that it's a little further forward? It looks like this would get me closer to where I need to be with the factory console (I don't have a center console on hand, that's why I'm asking). Also, I'm assuming that I can just remove the 6 bolts on top and flip the shifter around--I've never worked on one of these before so I don't know what else might be involved.

This also got me wondering if there might be an objectively "best" shifter position, and that because of this, the shifter comes standard in the rear most position, in which case, I shouldn't bother with the center console. Any insights would be appreciated!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com