Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

86 T-type -- SecondHand Six

Howdy folks..I have visited the site for a while but didn't register until today. I posted most of this in the intro forum and then I saw the "New Cars" forum. I thought I'd post here and let people take a look at the car. I could use some inspirational comments, or even some clever insults.

I'm working on an 86 Buick T-type that's been dubbed SecondHand Six. It started off as a joke because there wasn't a new part on the car...now it's CNC'ed on the intake and valve covers.

Quick specs:
      Motor: 280 ci Stage Two Buick V6
      Induction: twin 60-1 turbos, tunnel ram/sheet metal EFI intake
      Trans: 400 (looking for a cheap 4L80E eventually...)
      Rear: Ford 9"
      Suspension/Brakes: B-body front spindles/1LE 12" rotors, rear F-body discs adapted to Ford 9", stock suspension mounts with tubular arms front and rear.
      Engine mgmt: FAST

It is getting relatively close to moving under its' own power; I'm wiring it currently. It's taking me forever as I'm doing it on a nothing budget, and fabricating everything myself, from the engine machine work and assembly to the CNC machined parts and fabrication.

I have a web site for the car (in the signature) but it hasn't been updated lately so I'll put a couple of recent pictures here. My goal is to make around 1k HP, get it running and on the 1/4 mile, and add some streetability-oriented parts from there.

Kendall Frederick
      Orange Park, FL
      various cars, some running
      SecondHand Six Racing

dennis68 Guest
      HOLY CRAP---major wood. Look up pro-touring in the dictionary and this guys car is there.

Very nice!!! if your Budget is nothing...I'd like to trade you
      Matt
      1980 Malibu, off the jackstands.....let's see if a T-56 will last longer than a TH-700R4

Country Flag: United States
      Holy God that is sweet. Reminds me of the one in Tony's book. I love your car.
      Tyler

I love turbobuicks. I tried to get a TTA or GN but couldnt afford one so i went with the first gen, im happy and wouldnt change anything but i NEED a turbobuick. I especially like ur GNX fender ducts....
      All i can really say is I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!!!!
      David
      :3gears: 68 Rally Sport Camaro 350/4spd(t56ingarage)/8.5 10bolt 2.56 open,Hotchkis springs, kyb shocks, 17" Rallys 235/245-45-17

1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am 3.8 Buick LC2 V-6 w/51k, Ported heads w/oversized one piece valves, te-44 turbo,PTS built 200R4 w/2800stall, Lucas green top 009 42.5# injectors, AFPR, Adjustable wastegate, ATR 3inch exhaust, Terry houston 3inch mandrel bent downpipe, stock intercooler w/duttwieler neck, Eibach Springs, Bilstien shocks, Spohn adjustable panhard bar...

wow !
      excellent job on the Buick.........gotta love'em !
      i know i do !
      In process!
      1972 C10
      Roadster Shop Fast Track chassis
      LS376/525

seriously.... totally unfair. I now know what the engine compartment of Monsoon will look like. That is by far one of the most beautiful cars I have seen. I only have four questions:

1) What color paint is that?
      2) What type of rims are those
      3) Do you have pics of the interior
      4) Will you be my sugar daddy

DEREK

And thats on a nothing budget?SWEET I love the whole thing,rims,paint etc....
      73 corvette chop top silver LS6 motor ,LS6 intake,700r4,2400 pro torque convertor ,3.70 gears,modified hooker sidepipes to fit LS1,17 x9.5 boyd starburst,nitto 275/50/17-255/50/17 tires,vb&p suspension,nitrous,L-88 headlights,autometer guages.L88 hood,flares,spreader bar,vb&p sway bars

That is awesome!!! Great work and looks tough!
      Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

Wow, making me want to go out and look for a nice Buick. I love the contrast between the paint and the color of the wheels.
      -Corey

Project "Fowled Up"
      67 Firebird Coupe + 440 EFI = Way Too Much Fun!

First car I test drove at 16 was a black GN. DAMN, I wish I'd bought it now!!!

That is an AWESOME car! I think your "nothing budget" is a little richer than my "nothing budget".

Drew H.

Quote Originally Posted by RatMalibu
      Very nice!!! if your Budget is nothing...I'd like to trade you
      Quote Originally Posted by BlazerSpeed
      seriously.... totally unfair. I now know what the engine compartment of Monsoon will look like. That is by far one of the most beautiful cars I have seen. I only have four questions:

1) What color paint is that?
      2) What type of rims are those
      3) Do you have pics of the interior
      4) Will you be my sugar daddy

DEREK
      Quote Originally Posted by nitrovette
      And thats on a nothing budget?SWEET I love the whole thing,rims,paint etc....
      Quote Originally Posted by Drewhelm
      That is an AWESOME car! I think your "nothing budget" is a little richer than my "nothing budget".
      I guess I should be happy everybody thinks it's more expensive than it is..it would suck to declare it's a budget build up and have everyone say, "No *****..what a turd!" :D Thanks for the good words.

I have just over $10k in the thing at this point. I bought the car as a $2500 basket case, sold enough parts off of it to make a profit, and started scrounging. I put two sleeves in the block and machined it myself, ditto nearly everything else on the car. The intake started off as a $50 tunnel ram lower that I bought on Ebay. The most expensive things were the ECM, the wheels/tires, and the paint. It was actually painted in a pole barn.

The color is a factory color, Rosewood. I have always liked the color and searched for one when I started this build-up. The wheels are Boyd's Tuned, 17x11 and 9.5 with 5.5 and 4.5 backspacing. The car has a frame notch and mini-tub to fit them. I actually mini-tubbed it to fit 29.5x10.5W tires for the track. It doesn't have an interior yet..I have some straight-outta-the-80s Recaros that somebody gave me that need to be re-covered and installed. And finally, I need a sugar momma, myself.
      Kendall Frederick
      Orange Park, FL
      SecondHand Six Racing

Very cool car! :icon996:

There's a guy who runs '89 Pace Car Turbo T/A (same engine as yours, I think) at El Mirage and Bonneville. Ken Duttweiler went through his motors. The car still has a single turbo configuration (compressor housing is from a semi truck, so I was told), and 257ci makes about 1000hp on race gas and 1200hp for 274ci. You can probably make 850~900hp on pump gas w/o much fuss.

BTW, this T/A holds bunch of records. The fastest one is 292mph set on the salt flats in '01. Pretty impressive for a V6.

SUPER DUPPER SWEET!! I know 2 guys with GN's .. Id love to own one also!!

Hope the rear end holds for ya!!

Kendall, you better give me a ride in that biiiiatch when you get it going.
      You guys really need to see the car in person, it's everybit as good as the pics, if not better!
      "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and
      I will move the earth."

--Archimedes

THAT IS FRIGGIN SWEET. gotta love turbo buicks.

More pics, more pics, more pics.
      72 Nova SS, on the back burner for now.

current cruiser: "The green machine"

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct in the middle of an ls1 swap, but thinking about changing directions to a duramax diesel swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Racer
      Very cool car! :icon996:

There's a guy who runs '89 Pace Car Turbo T/A (same engine as yours, I think) at El Mirage and Bonneville. Ken Duttweiler went through his motors. The car still has a single turbo configuration (compressor housing is from a semi truck, so I was told), and 257ci makes about 1000hp on race gas and 1200hp for 274ci. You can probably make 850~900hp on pump gas w/o much fuss.

BTW, this T/A holds bunch of records. The fastest one is 292mph set on the salt flats in '01. Pretty impressive for a V6.
      Thanks for sharing the great pic! I hadn't seen that car before. Ken is tops at these motors; every time I go to California I try and make time to go to his shop. He is incredibly gracious and has put up with me hanging around the better part of several days and learning. He's made nearly 1600 HP on his dyno with a max-effort S2 V6; I was there when John Gallina's record-setting Super Stock motor made over 1200 with ~210 ci.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
      Kendall, you better give me a ride in that biiiiatch when you get it going.
      You guys really need to see the car in person, it's everybit as good as the pics, if not better!
      Oh-oh..a local. Brad, you are welcome to a ride..that is, assuming it eventually gets seats.

Quote Originally Posted by justanova
      More pics, more pics, more pics.
      There are hundreds on my web site of various pieces of the build-up..in incredibly boring detail. When it's moving without me pushing it I'll try to take more of the whole car. Here's one more of the car in front of the high dollar paint booth.

Kendall Frederick
      Orange Park, FL
      SecondHand Six Racing

john raines

met him at bonneville A couple of weeks ago. nice nice guy but his car was broke so he was driving a friend turbo cts caddy.

your car is awesome, i love that rosewood color.

LSx-powered 81 Mustang...

I almost bought a TTA with 46000 miles on it for 10k but the insurance was too high. My camaro ended up being close to $500 cheaper a year...
      David
      :3gears: 68 Rally Sport Camaro 350/4spd(t56ingarage)/8.5 10bolt 2.56 open,Hotchkis springs, kyb shocks, 17" Rallys 235/245-45-17

1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am 3.8 Buick LC2 V-6 w/51k, Ported heads w/oversized one piece valves, te-44 turbo,PTS built 200R4 w/2800stall, Lucas green top 009 42.5# injectors, AFPR, Adjustable wastegate, ATR 3inch exhaust, Terry houston 3inch mandrel bent downpipe, stock intercooler w/duttwieler neck, Eibach Springs, Bilstien shocks, Spohn adjustable panhard bar...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com