Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Nice stuff Greg! I'm digging your machine work!
      Thanks John... Been watching your project too.. gotta say I'm impressed..

Been meaning to call and shoot the breeze...and pick your brain on a few things... when I get myself caught up and have some free time I'll give you a call

Call any time. Talk with you soon.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ChevelleNV View Post
      Funny you say that, that is actually a store bought piece. but I am not real happy with the fit was thinking of making a custom one...
      I'm definitely looking for something like that since I smoothed my firewall.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      I'm definitely looking for something like that since I smoothed my firewall.
      its made by Borgeson

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-909004/overview/

Can you talk a little about the zl1 blower on a big CI engine? I have a 418 and picked one up for cheap. I also have a stock ls2 and ls3 heads. Everything I read says it won't move enough air for the 418.
      Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by srh3trinity View Post
      Can you talk a little about the zl1 blower on a big CI engine? I have a 418 and picked one up for cheap. I also have a stock ls2 and ls3 heads. Everything I read says it won't move enough air for the 418.
      Hmm, they say not enough air?...

I find that hard to believe since the ZL1/LSA supercharger is a constant displacement supercharger, you want more air then put a bigger pulley ratio to spin the screws faster....

Now on my particular application we are under driving the supercharge for less boost, so i didn't have to buy new pistons to lower the compression ratio.

here's my math, and if any one sees a issue with this math, speak up...

The stock ZL1 376CI makes 9lbs of boost with a 7.8in Crank pulley and 2.95in blower pulley which gives it a 2.6 pulley ratio
      Math: 7.8 / 2.95 = 2.644

My 441 is almost 18% bigger than the 376CI ZL1
      Math: (441-376) = 65 / 376 = .1728 x 100 = 17.28 = 17.28%

so if I ran the stock ZL1 pulley ratio on my 441 it would make 7.67lbs of boost
      Math: 9lbs boost/1.1728 = 7.67lbs

SO I was able to find some pulleys to use that give me a lower pulley ratio so I could under drive the super charger
      so with the new calculated boost of 7.67 and a new pulley ratio of 2.183

Math: (7.67/2.6) = (2.95) x 2.183 = 6.43lbs

So depending on how much boost you want to make... we just have to up the pulley size.

so lets run the numbers on your 418....

we already know the 2.6 stock pulley ratio
      Your engine is roughly 11% bigger than the 376 ZL1
      Math: (418-376) = 42 / 376 = .1117 x 100 = 11.17 = 11.17%

so if you ran the stock ZL1 pulley ratio on your 418 it would make 8.05lbs of boost
      Math: 9lbs boost/1.117 = 8.05lbs

so all you have to do know is know how much boost you want to make if 8lbs is not enough and figure out a different set of bigger pulleys
      Last edited by ChevelleNV; 07-03-2015 at 07:09 AM.

That's a Stockton Unified School District education right there! Love it.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      That's a Stockton Unified School District education right there! Love it.
      lol...actually I think i got that math from a real old SA-Design book on superchargers.... but I did buy the book in stockton

Hmm, they say not enough air?...

I find that hard to believe since the ZL1/LSA supercharger is a constant displacement supercharger, you want more air then put a bigger pulley ratio to spin the screws faster....

Now on my particular application we are under driving the supercharge for less boost, so i didn't have to buy new pistons to lower the compression ratio.

here's my math, and if any one sees a issue with this math, speak up...

The stock ZL1 376CI makes 9lbs of boost with a 7.8in Crank pulley and 2.95in blower pulley which gives it a 2.6 pulley ratio
      Math: 7.8 / 2.95 = 2.644

My 441 is almost 18% bigger than the 376CI ZL1
      Math: (441-376) = 65 / 376 = .1728 x 100 = 17.28 = 17.28%

so if I ran the stock ZL1 pulley ratio on my 441 it would make 7.67lbs of boost
      Math: 9lbs boost/1.1728 = 7.67lbs

SO I was able to find some pulleys to use that give me a lower pulley ratio so I could under drive the super charger
      so with the new calculated boost of 7.67 and a new pulley ratio of 2.183

Math: (7.67/2.6) = (2.95) x 2.183 = 6.43lbs

So depending on how much boost you want to make... we just have to up the pulley size.

so lets run the numbers on your 418....

we already know the 2.6 stock pulley ratio
      Your engine is roughly 11% bigger than the 376 ZL1
      Math: (418-376) = 42 / 376 = .1117 x 100 = 11.17 = 11.17%

so if you ran the stock ZL1 pulley ratio on your 418 it would make 8.05lbs of boost
      Math: 9lbs boost/1.117 = 8.05lbs

so all you have to do know is know how much boost you want to make if 8lbs is not enough and figure out a different set of bigger pulleys
      That was my thinking, but there aren't many stroked LSA's around and I keep getting the question of "why would you stroke it, just change the pulley" from guys with stock LSA's. It makes sense for them to just change the pulley, but I am going to have to build a motor anyway. I will likely build the the LS2 block for boost instead. My 418 rotating assembly doesn't have the best pistons for boost. It will probably get shelved for another build.

From the looks of your motor specs, I figured you had thought it out and that you weren't just slapping a blower on top of an engine like that without doing some math.

I will be watching your accessory drive too. I have an aftermarket subframe, but will definitely want AC here in the south.
      Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by srh3trinity View Post
      That was my thinking, but there aren't many stroked LSA's around and I keep getting the question of "why would you stroke it, just change the pulley" from guys with stock LSA's. It makes sense for them to just change the pulley, but I am going to have to build a motor anyway. I will likely build the the LS2 block for boost instead. My 418 rotating assembly doesn't have the best pistons for boost. It will probably get shelved for another build.

From the looks of your motor specs, I figured you had thought it out and that you weren't just slapping a blower on top of an engine like that without doing some math.

I will be watching your accessory drive too. I have an aftermarket subframe, but will definitely want AC here in the south.
      Well my dad always said there's no substitute for cubic inches... but a blower just makes the big stroker all the better.

Actually the engine was going to be naturally aspirated, but when the blowers started popping up on ebay for $500.00 it was to good to pass up....

after crunching the numbers and figuring out we could underdrive it so i didn't have to buy new pistons, I bought one.

And its funny you mention the A/C brackets, I'm working on some prototypes today for a high mount A/C with an LSA... its a tight squeeze to fit all that stuff up in the upper left side... but I don't have much of a choice I have an external dry sump pump in the lower left....

Well my dad always said there's no substitute for cubic inches... but a blower just makes the big stroker all the better.

Actually the engine was going to be naturally aspirated, but when the blowers started popping up on ebay for $500.00 it was to good to pass up....

after crunching the numbers and figuring out we could underdrive it so i didn't have to buy new pistons, I bought one.

And its funny you mention the A/C brackets, I'm working on some prototypes today for a high mount A/C with an LSA... its a tight squeeze to fit all that stuff up in the upper left side... but I don't have much of a choice I have an external dry sump pump in the lower left....
      It was a "might as well" purchase for me too. This guy was trying to buy sheetmetal for a Camaro build and had the LSA blower, LS3 heads and an extra LS3 intake. He gave me a package deal I couldn't turn down. A week later, I found the LS2 block. I have already bought my pistons for my LS3 block (the 418) and they are probably similar to yours. I get that the TVS2300 would probably be more ideal for the bigger engines, but my argument was that even if it wasn't the most efficient, it would still make more power than a N/A. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the ZR1's have the same coupler issues and they start pulling them when I max out the capabilities of this LSA blower.
      Stephen

Congrats!!

Beautiful work and Congrats on starting your own business. Much future success!!!

What size is the steering wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by 7xg-body View Post
      What size is the steering wheel?
      its a Sparco r345 and its 350mm or 13.779 inches

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/r-345

Country Flag: Cameroon
      Awsome build! In your conversion did you modify your existing fenders to except the 70 headlight extentions or go with new sheet metal?

Quote Originally Posted by PROJECTSTARTER View Post
      Awsome build! In your conversion did you modify your existing fenders to except the 70 headlight extensions or go with new sheet metal?
      Funny you ask that, I bought some re-pop fenders and we ended up using one on the Passenger side but for some reason all the driver side fenders we bought wouldn't fit, we tried several from different companies. we finally ended up butchering up one of the re-pop fenders and modifying one of the original 72 fenders on the driver side... so we ended up doing both

Country Flag: Cameroon
      Lol. I too like the look of the 70 front end. I bought the rad support and extentions, and will modify fenders. If you have any pics of how you got it to work, and you dont mind posting i would love to see them.

Awesome Build

Did it ever get completed?

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Global View Post
      Did it ever get completed?
      Nope, I bought the car and its sitting on my lift. I didn't buy the engine transmission from Greg. I have a 540 BBC with Tony Mamo ported heads and Merlin intake, a Mike Jones solid roller cam, BAM lifters, Big M billet main block, Callies crank, Howards Rods and 12:1 CP pistons (I'm at 5200" elevation). It has a Holley HP system, Holley CNP, Fuel injector clinic injectors, and a 4500 throttle body for induction duties. Running E85 with a flex fuel sensor. Still a manual with Tremec Magnum 6 speed and McLeod dual disc clutch. Haven't had much time to work on it since I bought it. Plan on retiring in next 4 months, so Hopefully finish it by mid 2023.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com