Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
      Most of my time at Ford was with the Modulars. The last thing I worked on was very early Coyote stuff. On the size of it, yes, like all DOHC V-8's, it is wide; however, it isn't nearly as big as it is made out to be. And it is much smaller than the older 4.6L 4V's for a couple of reasons. First is that when Mullaly came in in 2006 and we got rid of 30% of the workforce, many were through early retirements. The valvetrain tech spec wouldn't let us use small RFF's and HLA's, we were stuck with gargantuan ones. For manufacturing, the left and right cylinder heads used the same castings, and only differed once machined. We were able to get specific castings, and go with a much smaller RFF/HLA setup, which did give us a lot of relief on the size of the head. Getting the alternator off the top of the front of the block helped a lot, too. Certainly still bit, and won't package as well as a cam-in-block will between narrow strut towers, but then again, the 65-66 Mustangs have to have their strut towers cut out for just about anything, I think even 351's? So that isn't a new or big deal, or unchartered territory. The angle of the exhaust ports helps, since headers go don at a 45 degree angle, rather than more out like they do on most OHV's. But the beauty of the Mod is how short it is. 100mm bore centers, and the water pump is recessed in the block. It is only 1" longer than a modenr Porsche Flat-6, which is why they were making their way into Caymans so early on. Much shorter than an LS. But, the bank offset is irritating, as the left side is back, putting it closer to the master cylinder in a front engine application. But still, the torque curves of those engines is unbelievable. My father-in-law has a friend with a 2008 Cayman with a blown engine I'm looking at..........
      https://youtu.be/ssZNaqUDZXk
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      DOHC - Dual OverHead Cam
      RFF - Roller Finger Follower
      HLA - Hydraulic Lash Adjuster
      OHV - OverHead Valve

Sorry, thought I was at a car site.
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
      DOHC - Dual OverHead Cam
      RFF - Roller Finger Follower
      HLA - Hydraulic Lash Adjuster
      OHV - OverHead Valve

Sorry, thought I was at a car site.
      It was a joke, it is a car site, but not everyone is fluent in ohcaganese.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      It was a joke, it is a car site, but not everyone is fluent in ohcaganese.
      I came here to say the same. I had to look up RFF & HLA.
      I've worked on OHC engines my entire career, and I've never done one with "Finger Followers" or whatever 67King calls them!

It does remind me of this!

Quote Originally Posted by srh3trinity View Post
      It doesn't bother me. To the general public, they start to glaze over when i start getting into the details of my build. The car guys I hang out with are up for just about anything. I do get tired of the "are you gonna put the bird on the hood?" People really get bummed out when I tell them it isn't a TA, it is a Firebird and that I have no intention of turning it into a TA or "putting the bird on it"
      I have a 1969 Firebird. It gets called a Camaro all the time. I have been asked if I am going to put the bird on the hood.

im building a 88 irocz camaro im putting a 5.3 with a turbo . wide wheels an tires all the way around an im gonna need a small fender flare on all four corners . but its my dream car. it will run 9 sec quarter mile times an 185mph top speed an handle like it on rails . an be a third gen camaro

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com