Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Changes to the SCC series and a new website

Hey fellow racers, I just wanted to inform you on somechanges regarding the So Cal Challenge events series. We have spent the lastfew weeks looking at how we can make the events more fun for the participantsas well as posting more information about the series.
      In the last few weekswe have traveled out to a few different events, talked to different drivers,from both the professional to the newbie, and read tons of information on theweb about other events and their operations.

From our findings we want to share with you some of thechanges that we have decided to make to the So Cal Challenge. First thingsfirst, we want to get our message across to you to this is a “Racer’s Series”and the “You talk, we listen” approach is one that we always have in mind. Nowbefore I get everyone asking for their “Number One Plate” so to speak, pleaseremember that we are a new series, and that there is always going to be“growing pains” along the way, but again our intentions are to hold theseevents as long as they are fun and competitive.

One of the major changes that we will be adopting will bethe “running time” format that most are familiar with at the “Good-guys” shows.Practice times will still be ran in the morning, so drivers will know wherethey’re at. After lunch two recorded times will count as the finishing orderwhich will be determined by the running order. (Based on the number ofparticipants, to ensure that everyone gets a fair shot.) So the best time equals 1st placein a class and so on. The classes will remain the same where as at the end ofthe class running, the top finishers of their class will compete in a solo “onelap dash” for the over all winner of the event. Driver with the best solo dash run is the winner.

Please visit our re-vamped website www.socalchallenge.com where you will find an easy to use formatlisted at the top of the page. Click on “results” where you can view recordedtimes listed by the vehicles number from all three of this years’ events. Wantto see where you or another driver is at in the points standings? Click“results” again and a pull down menu lists all of the drivers by name andvehicle number from all of our events. A list of the series “rules” as well as“tech guidelines” can also be found on the site including photos of you or yourfavorite SCC driver in the “gallery” section.

The site is also a great place to learn more about ourseries sponsors, as we have listed new information on their products, and servicesas well. Click on any of the logos, or visit our “news” header for informationregarding our sponsors or future SCC events. You can also scroll down the pageto learn more about our sponsors as well as view videos’ about the event.

The SCC events have been featured in DRIVE, magazine, aswell as in a few other magazines such Super Chevy, and online at Street LegalTV, / plus Pro-Touring. Links to those articles can be seen, or will be addedto the site as soon as we get them. Don’t forget the Chadand Brian from Bangshift.com are huge supporters of SCC as Chadwill be back to announce the next SCC event August 31st, in Costa Mesa.

I just want to thank all of you for becoming a part of theSo Cal Challenge. We are excited to come out and race with you guys and want toextend our invitation for you to be a part of the fun as well. If you have anycomments, please email me at [email protected]as I’d love to hear from you!
      Take care, and keep racing!
      Marcel Venable

Looks good Marcel!

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Tell me if you'd like help going through all of the points and such. I see a couple of errors in the standings. It's much easier to see thanks to the new speadsheet format.

For instance, I'm sure Dannie in car 14 was present at the second event and scored points. As I mentioned in the previous thread, I had a quicker time than what was shown to be 3rd in class. You might also want a column for the photo submission bonus points.

Thanks for for putting in so much effort!

(I still like my alternate shootout format)
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Quote Originally Posted by 79-TA View Post
      . As I mentioned in the previous thread, I had a quicker time than what was shown to be 3rd in class.
      I do think that the points system leaves a little to be desired....I agree if you look at my times I was faster than 2nd and 3rd, that has happened at every event, and since there are no overall standings to show sponsors, its tough to keep budgeting for these events as opposed to some others

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      I do think that the points system leaves a little to be desired....I agree if you look at my times I was faster than 2nd and 3rd, that has happened at every event, and since there are no overall standings to show sponsors, its tough to keep budgeting for these events as opposed to some others
      Hi Rodney,
      I update the SCC website. Like Marcel said in some of his earlier posts, we are listening to all of the feedback and requests from the drivers. In fact, we really appreciate it! I am working on posting point standings by class. I'm hoping to have them online today. I'm assuming that is what you are looking for because the overall points standings are posted. They are sorted by car number and you can see them here: http://www.socalchallenge.com/results/points-standings.
      What are some other features you guys would like to see?
      Thanks for all of your support and feedback! Hope to see you all out at the Labor Day event.

Quote Originally Posted by socalb View Post
      Hi Rodney,
      I update the SCC website. Like Marcel said in some of his earlier posts, we are listening to all of the feedback and requests from the drivers. In fact, we really appreciate it! I am working on posting point standings by class. I'm hoping to have them online today. I'm assuming that is what you are looking for because the overall points standings are posted. They are sorted by car number and you can see them here: http://www.socalchallenge.com/results/points-standings.
      What are some other features you guys would like to see?
      Thanks for all of your support and feedback! Hope to see you all out at the Labor Day event.
      sorry about that guys...I don't want you to feel that I giving you guys crap, because I really wasn't, I think you guys are doing a great job of getting the event going adding another racing outlet, and that is awesome and I know by next year, you guys will be sold out at every event, I know I couldn't pull this together, I was just looking, the overall points and Suzy and I are 1 point apart? even though I have finished these events in high standings and she hasn't, and even she noticed that, so my only complaint is that I have obligations to sponsors so unless I win the event, being 2nd, 3rd, forth or fifth fastest for the weekend doesn't count the way the current system is, so I have nothing to show sponsors that I have, how well their product works and nothing to show to potential sponsors that I want, for me every event is a $500 outlay, because of travel, dual entrys (Suzy and myself) and time-off work....for me the value proposition isn't there, I really tried, and I may redirect those event fees to the local autoX series, and travel to other events with standard fastest times formats, you have GREAT venues, GREAT personal and a Great group of racers already following you, you guys will be the event of events in a year or so

We don't feel that way at all Rodney. We love having you out at the events and the feedback afterwards. If there is a question about the points, please email me or/and Marcel. We will be more than happy to look at things and provide an explanation or make any corrections if necessary.

Thanks for the kind words about the direction we are heading. We are striving hard to make the So Cal Challenge Series a great outlet for beginner and advanced drivers alike. With your feedback, we can build a better system. In fact, we are getting rid of the ladder system and moving towards the standard fastest times formats you mentioned above. We like a few other options we've read here on the forums, but we don't think we'd be able to implement them in the time allotted at the track.

I like the format you have, really keep the shoot-outs there great! you just need to add the fastest times winners 1st thru whatever (hell those times are already there! and it makes every run during the day more important) and then you have the same shoot-out format, because its just more winners and that's what its about really, because a slower driver can beat me if I bump a cone during the shoot-out and he is now the shoot-out winner, (simple right) and if you need a sponsor for shoot out trophy's I would gladly have some made that way there no extra cost to the So Cal Challenge group and we have more winners!

I looked at the times posted for the last event,I do see a few missing ones, I noticed the 45.83 that I ran is missing car #18 here are pictures of the posted times,hope that helps

sorry about that guys...I don't want you to feel that I giving you guys crap, because I really wasn't, I think you guys are doing a great job of getting the event going adding another racing outlet, and that is awesome and I know by next year, you guys will be sold out at every event, I know I couldn't pull this together, I was just looking, the overall points and Suzy and I are 1 point apart? even though I have finished these events in high standings and she hasn't, and even she noticed that, so my only complaint is that I have obligations to sponsors so unless I win the event, being 2nd, 3rd, forth or fifth fastest for the weekend doesn't count the way the current system is, so I have nothing to show sponsors that I have, how well their product works and nothing to show to potential sponsors that I want, for me every event is a $500 outlay, because of travel, dual entrys (Suzy and myself) and time-off work....for me the value proposition isn't there, I really tried, and I may redirect those event fees to the local autoX series, and travel to other events with standard fastest times formats, you have GREAT venues, GREAT personal and a Great group of racers already following you, you guys will be the event of events in a year or so
      Rod, I hope you and Suzy come down to some of the events next year. Events are always a little more fun with the two of you in town. Besides, next year it sounds like standings will much more accurately reflect fast times.

Matt

I looked at the times posted for the last event,I do see a few missing ones, I noticed the 45.83 that I ran is missing car #18 here are pictures of the posted times,hope that helps

Thanks Rodney! Adams had a computer crash so I was only able to post what they sent me. It wasn't organized like it usually is and was hard to make sense of it. We're working hard to find a sponsor for new timing equipment. This will alleviate all of our timing challenges. This helps a great deal and I'll get these on the site shortly.

Marcel, I think the times should dictate the winner or if the shootout winner is the winner of the class, but positions 2- to whatever number in the class should be done by fastest times. I was disappointed with the format in Camarillo, because depending on your choice of draw in the shootout(bye), and side of the autocross you started from helped determine the outcome, because both starting positions were not even....I think whatever you do should be consistent from event to event throughout the entire series....You might try doing the shootout draw by pulling random numbers from a hat in each class, that way there can be no bias in the ladder selection. Regardless of what you decide, I enjoy driving in the events....Thanks
      Dannie
      2013 Chevy Camaro SS/RS/1LE, Forgeline Wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Pedders Subframe Bushings, Ride Tech triple adjustable coilovers, Strong Arms and SwayBar.

Quote Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
      Marcel, I think the times should dictate the winner or if the shootout winner is the winner of the class, but positions 2- to whatever number in the class should be done by fastest times. I was disappointed with the format in Camarillo, because depending on your choice of draw in the shootout(bye), and side of the autocross you started from helped determine the outcome, because both starting positions were not even....I think whatever you do should be consistent from event to event throughout the entire series....You might try doing the shootout draw by pulling random numbers from a hat in each class, that way there can be no bias in the ladder selection. Regardless of what you decide, I enjoy driving in the events....Thanks
      We've kind of already gone through this, so much so that they're just going to do it all on time.

To differentiate the two Camarillo and two AMP events, I think it would be cool to see the repeat events run in a different way. Like you, I and others posting above would like to see the shootout continue to exist to determine the winner of each class. (I'll say it again, I like my ladder alternative described in the other thread . . . similar cars run each other, qualification time still matters for position, no bye runs.)
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com