Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Country Flag: United States
      Ron, is it safe to say that putting a new 4150 style EFI throttle bodies like FAST, MSD and the like that are self learning you can achieve near the drive-ability of the LS motors and get much better MPG over a carb? Do you think the cost of these systems is worth it over a swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Thephranc View Post
      Ron, is it safe to say that putting a new 4150 style EFI throttle bodies like FAST, MSD and the like that are self learning you can achieve near the drive-ability of the LS motors and get much better MPG over a carb? Do you think the cost of these systems is worth it over a swap?
      Yes ... the EFI throttle bodies like FAST, MSD & Holley offer will improve the power, driveability & fuel mileage of a SBC over a carb.

Comparing it to an LS is difficult, because rarely are we comparing apples to apples.

If we have two similar engines ... an LS & SBC ... built as identical as possible (bore, stroke, cam profiles, port cross section for velocity & EFI systems) ... the two engines would have similar driveability ... but very different power levels. The LS would idle better ... have similar initial throttle "response" but more torque ... and build more power all the way up the rpm range & have a higher redline before power drops off, as the valve springs were capable.

If we have two different engines ... an LS & SBC ... that both build Xxx HP ... with the similar cubic inches, bore & stroke ... The SBC would require much bigger port cross section (height and/or width) & more aggressive camshaft to achieve that same power number. The larger port will have less velocity down in the lower rpm range, making it less responsive with lower torque numbers. The larger duration camshaft will do the same.

To build that power level in an SBC, we're making sacrifices to the low end power, drivability & fuel mileage. The LS engine can achieve the same power ... with a smaller port cross section & less aggressive camshaft ... keeping the low rpm air velocity up for better mileage, responsiveness & torque.

Make sense?

I can't say if it worth the money or not ... because that is a personal decision. If a person can afford the EFI ... and they get it tuned right ... they'll surely enjoy it.

Hey Guys,

I'm going riding quads with my girls now ... so I'll catch up with everyone when I get back Monday.

Take care all !!!

Excellent information in here. Thanks for your input Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
      Excellent information in here. Thanks for your input Ron.

You're welcome. Do you have more questions? Are you leaning towards a crate or building an engine?

I'm back from my quad trip, so I can answer questions if you have any.

We went on an epic 7-1/2 hour quad ride up several mountains in the Sierra Mountains in Nevada & California. From 7000' to 11,700' through a wide variety of rough terrain, rocks, creeks, broken shale. My wife flipped over once, but was OK. She's a sweet, but tough gal. We saw breath taking scenery on several mountaintops looking out over the range, went partway into old gold mines that were caved in, rock & wood cabins where miners lived. We were all worn out from the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post

You're welcome. Do you have more questions? Are you leaning towards a crate or building an engine?

I'm back from my quad trip, so I can answer questions if you have any.

We went on an epic 7-1/2 hour quad ride up several mountains in the Sierra Mountains in Nevada & California. From 7000' to 11,700' through a wide variety of rough terrain, rocks, creeks, broken shale. My wife flipped over once, but was OK. She's a sweet, but tough gal. We saw breath taking scenery on several mountaintops looking out over the range, went partway into old gold mines that were caved in, rock & wood cabins where miners lived. We were all worn out from the ride.

That sounds like an awesome trip, Ron. I'm glad you had a good time with the Misses!

I think the first thing I need to do is pull the engine and see how much damage there actually is to the engine. I will need to see what the walls and crank look like. Once I figure out where it stands, I can look into options.

It will be a few months before I can revisit this thread. I am in the middle of building a new home and dealing with a sick family member. Even though this is not my thread, I'll come back and update it once I have it apart.

Thanks Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
      That sounds like an awesome trip, Ron. I'm glad you had a good time with the Misses!

I think the first thing I need to do is pull the engine and see how much damage there actually is to the engine. I will need to see what the walls and crank look like. Once I figure out where it stands, I can look into options.

It will be a few months before I can revisit this thread. I am in the middle of building a new home and dealing with a sick family member. Even though this is not my thread, I'll come back and update it once I have it apart.

Thanks Ron.
      Understood. Take care of your family. Talk to you later.

Country Flag: Canada
      Hi guys!

wow 2013! Well to give an update my life went through a million changes lost a job got a new great job bought a new house, cars/bikes and the monte ended up never getting out of storage.

I went to pay the fees where the car is stored the past weekend as my mission is to have the car back on the road this spring. When i showed up from sitting (although) concrete floor, moisture has certainly damaged the perfect rust free car which really upsets me. I went through this post a few times and again I am back to with the state of the engine being opened and exposed this long the short block will need to be sent out to be cleaned up. maybe even a new rotating assembly to complement Ron's build suggestions.... OR many years later it seems may be simpler to go with a carbed 6.0 LS

Its very sad life gets in the way sometimes but I cant allow the car to stay stagnant much longer.

Im glad to be back guys! I have been enjoying my new gt350 at many track events locally but new cars dont have the same emotional connection to the old school stuff! Need this monte back on the road!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com