Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pontiac intake manifolds

Does anyone know what the difference between the old Edelborck Torker manifolds and the New Torker II manifolds are?

I'm looking for a used intake to clean up instead of buying new. Visually it looks like the runners are a bit different and the bore on the Toker isn't square.

Anything else I'm missing. Would there be m,uch power difference between the 2?

Jason Mounce
      1969 Firebird | 2008 Corvette Z06 | 2008 Mustang GT/CS

It's been years since I read up on what the difference is but the Torker II doesn't have the step in the bottom of the plenum like the original. I think the the original was that way because of the q-jet and the way it flowed. Torker II is a square carb only.

The Torker II does not have the flow issues that the original did. Plus it looks better. lol
      Wick
      '71 Camaro RS Project

Quote Originally Posted by wick
      It's been years since I read up on what the difference is but the Torker II doesn't have the step in the bottom of the plenum like the original. I think the the original was that way because of the q-jet and the way it flowed. Torker II is a square carb only.

The Torker II does not have the flow issues that the original did. Plus it looks better. lol
      I believe the real issue is that the the Torker II works a little better at a lower RPM starting point. Unless your running for 1/4 mile et's. Buy what works for your budget.

R.P.

That explains a little bit. I'll try and find a used Toker II, I see them from time to time, just got to wait for another one to pop up.
      Jason Mounce

why not just use a good perfomer?

It's got the Performer RPM (P4B) manifold on it right now.

Unfortunately I just don't know much about hte engine combination. The engine had previously been built by the guy I purchased the car from. He didn't build the engine himself, and didn't keep receipts so what's inside the engine is somewhat of a mystery.

I'm trying to put together a combination that will get me a solid 500 hp with an operating range between about 2500-6500. I was looking at a Comp Cams XE284H cam matched to the Torker II intake and a dominator style carb.
      Jason Mounce

RP, you are correct on the better numbers lower in the RPM range with the Torker II.

JLM
      The P4B is not a Performer RPM but the one before the first Performer. It was the P4B first then the Performer. Now they offer the Performer RPM as well.

What size motor are we talking about here? Personally, I don't like the single pattern cams especially with the D port heads. What casting are on your heads?
      Wick
      '71 Camaro RS Project

I may have a Torker II from my stack of changed parts. I'll have to check.
      Kevin.
      69 Firebird "Eternity"

RP, you are correct on the better numbers lower in the RPM range with the Torker II.

JLM
      The P4B is not a Performer RPM but the one before the first Performer. It was the P4B first then the Performer. Now they offer the Performer RPM as well.

What size motor are we talking about here? Personally, I don't like the single pattern cams especially with the D port heads. What casting are on your heads?
      The motor is a 455 .030 over. The heads are casting #62. I'm not sure if dished pistons were used or not so compression could be around 11.5:1 if dished pistons were not used. Again though without taking off the heads that would be hard to tell.
      Jason Mounce

Use a compression gauge and you will get a rough idea. 62's on a 455 would be alot but I've used 670's on one but race fuel was a must. I have no experience with dished pistons but I've been told it's screws with the squish area of the head a little and you may lose some power because of it.
      Wick
      '71 Camaro RS Project

If your hood clearance can afford it I would go with the performer rpm hands down, however a lot of cars can't fit that intake without using a tiny air filter. You could always machine some material off of the fron tmounting pad

Quote Originally Posted by yody
      If your hood clearance can afford it I would go with the performer rpm hands down, however a lot of cars can't fit that intake without using a tiny air filter. You could always machine some material off of the fron tmounting pad
      The car has the factory 350 hood (non 400 RA). I don't think clearance will be an issue.

Can you elaborate on why you would go with the RPM over the Torker II?

At that rate would you even change the manifold that is currently on the car? Would the Performer RPM have any advantage over the P4B that I have now?
      Jason Mounce

Because RPM's have been proven to be the most all around best performers for pontiacs, the "torker" series was invented for earlier corvettes that had no hood clearance, It is a single plan design, and the runners are really short, not a very good combination. The performer RPM has been proven to give you the best of both worlds and is an excellent intake manifold, I am by no means an expert so you might call around to some pontiac guys like jim butler, or rocknroll engineering or others, also the pb4 is an ancient intake i used to have one, also you probably will have to run a super drop base cleaner and only a 3" air filter to clear the performer rpm on that car it is a tight squeeze, I would maybe just go to a performer, but ifyou feel like fitting the rpm that is definetly the way to go

The car had an offenhouser dual carb intake set under the stock hood. Clearance was really tight but it did fit. Likely the performer RPM would be the same way.

I've got a couple options then. From a power building perspective which is going to work best do you think?

I can:

1. Keep the P4B manifold on the car and swap out the carb
      2. Put the Offenhouser manifold back on the car wtih 2 smaller carbs (sell my current carb and intake)
      3. Sell my current intake and carb as well as the offenhouser manifold and purchase the Performer RPM manifold and new carb.

In either case I'd like to swap out the cam for something a little larger than what is in the engine now. I don't have specs but it's probably no more than a moderate upgrade from a stock cam. I'm looking for something that will provide power to 6000 and have a rough noticable idle.
      Jason Mounce

The Performer RPM looks great in theory but I have no experience with it. None of my friends have ever run it either, I don't know why. The Torker II I know works great on the 455.

A friend, Larry Navarro, has a drop air cleaner base that allows him to run the stock shaker on a TA with Torker II's and Victors on the Pontiac motors with no problems. He is at the TA Nat's but I will call him when he gets back. He has a web site called WFOPerformance or something like that. You are not running a shaker but I think it may lower you air cleaner enough to clear.
      Wick
      '71 Camaro RS Project

my old 400 used to see 6,000 all day long, and it had almost a completely stock bottome end except for some ARP rod bolts, and it never blew! I had a comp extreme274 in it, decent idle also, sounded good. So if you have a 455 something a little bigger would be good. Not sure on what you should do with the intakes, however I switched from a PB4 to the RPM and it revved a lot better

Quote Originally Posted by yody
      my old 400 used to see 6,000 all day long, and it had almost a completely stock bottome end except for some ARP rod bolts, and it never blew! I had a comp extreme274 in it, decent idle also, sounded good. So if you have a 455 something a little bigger would be good. Not sure on what you should do with the intakes, however I switched from a PB4 to the RPM and it revved a lot better
      I'm looking at a comp extream energry XE284H grind. The powerband is 2500-6500 on it though I probably won't take the engine past 6000. Either the RPM or Torker manifold fit that powerband.

I've got enough compression, stall and gear that I could probably go larger with the cam if I wanted, but I like the powerband that cam works under.
      Jason Mounce

I did some more research and it seems the RPM does give better throttle response. I guess that was a given considering it's a dual plane versus a single.

As far as the cam, I would strongly suggest a dual pattern with more exhaust duration because the exhaust port is a little weak on Pontiac heads.
      Wick
      '71 Camaro RS Project

I did some more research and it seems the RPM does give better throttle response. I guess that was a given considering it's a dual plane versus a single.

As far as the cam, I would strongly suggest a dual pattern with more exhaust duration because the exhaust port is a little weak on Pontiac heads.
      What do you mean by dual pattern? I'm not knowledgable with cam selection in the least.

Have any suggestions for a cam that works between 2000-6000 or around that range? I'd also like something that has a noticeable idle.
      Jason Mounce

What dual pattern means is the duration, lift or both are different profiles. The Pontiac D Port head is a little on the exhaust side and requires more duration and lift to get the gases out. The round port heads are a little better on the exhaust but I still run dual patterns.

Call this guy and see what he suggest for your ap. http://PontiacDude.cc I know he has built some good horsepower for the street and track. You can also call Butler or a few others but I don't think I would call Rock and Roll Engineering. Do a little research on him and you will know why.
      Wick
      '71 Camaro RS Project

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com