Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

78' Malibu Build

This is my fourth Malibu and "should" be the best as long as I don't sell it like the others or get distracted by another car.

The last one I built was in 02' and was a 1980 267 car that left my hands with a ZZ4/th350 and nearly everything touched/tweaked and it ran high 12's as a daily.

This was the day I sold it.

Fast forward several years and more than a several cars I decided to pick up another G body after building a Volvo 242 dubbed the Flying Moose that was destined for a 5.3/4L60 swap and chickening out as it was too clean to chop up.

Before

After

I have a weird thing for boxy cars. :D

So I set out to find another Malibu which proved to be easier said than done and after looking at several overpriced, no title, and abused Malibus I had friends tell me about a 1978 Malibu that was sitting in the middle of nowhere that could be had for $750 if I didn't want the engine and trans. Beings I kept the drivetrain intended for the Volvo I should be good.

With these two pictures I said sold, despite a rule against buying primer cars plus buying cars without looking at them, triple strike was pictures of a wet car.

Then went to pick it up wondering the 6 hour drive if I had lost my mind, luckily it looked solid all over, not beat or chopped even though it was a "race" car.

I drug it back home and stripped it down to see what I had gotten into. For first time hot rodder's, do not use a grinder to sand down hood, it was junk lol. Along with the bent trunk and the worst parts were the dash and a rusted passenger floor.

Next came the fun of taking the entire car apart and cleaning it up, I may have slight OCD when it comes to this.

Dash did not make it out alive

Pretty sure they only raced this on dirt roads

And then the separation

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com