Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

I realized my dream last weekend (67 Camrao on track!!!)

I've owned my Camaro for 23 years, got it as a rust bucket when I was 16. My dad and I restored it together and I've been upgrading/modifying ever since, as budget allows. Every single part on the car I did myself including paint/body/drivetrain in either my dads garage or mine.

I've always wanted it to be a trans-am style, period correct looking muscle car, but with modern performance. I prefer old school. Its a pump gas, carbureted 385 small block, hydraulic roller motor, dyno'd at 581HP/535Lbs. An Autogear M22w and beefed up 10 bolt. Stock subframe that's got every performance modification you can do. Even running old school leafs in back! They are Global West L2 springs which work amazingly well... Parts from SPC, ridetech, Chassisworks and others, round out the rest of the suspension.

Over the winter I rewired the car with an American Autowire harness. Its the second one I've used (also on my 57 Pickup). Installed a ridetech Tiger Cage and Crow Harness.

The crowning jewel is new wheels from ET Mags. 17x9 with 255/40s in front and 18x9 with 275/40s in back. Nitto NT01s get the most out the rubber on the road.... It's the most tire you can squeeze into stock wheel wells with zero rubbing and a low ride height.

This past weekend I finally got a chance to run the car at an open track day at my local track NYST. It was the most fun I've ever had in a car... My goals were: 1- make it to the track, 2- survive a few sessions without going up in flames, 3- make it home.

SO many questions marks were answered. Would my oil temp survive? Are leaf springs going to be useless? Will the car be balanced or want to push or loop into ever turn? Will my power steering overheat? Whats going to break on a car that was entirely built in my garage by a complete hobbyist? Well, it far exceeded my expectations. The only issue all day was a poorly fitting PCV grommet that dripped on a header. No only did it make it to the track and back, I was embarrassing new Porsches and Mustangs! She made it through 5, fifteen minute sessions without a whimper and I didn't hold back! I was moved to tears at the completion of my final session that my car performed better than I could have imagined. I attribute much credit to this forum and the fine folks who post. I've spent countless hours reading here and elsewhere on how to get the most out of your car, and what works.

Here is footage of my final session (my fiancé riding shotgun). https://youtu.be/cIonH5FCopU

67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

Country Flag: United States
      Good for you! What a great feeling that must be. You've definitely earned it by putting in all the work. Glad to hear it stayed together!

Nice job! I could see your driving intensify when trying to chase down that red rabbit in front, I'm sure he was wondering how you were keeping up so well. Car looks very composed and easy to drive, well done.

Looks like a fun track as well.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Well done!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Awesome work thanks for sharing

Congratulations on a job well done! You have a beautiful car and I hope you get to enjoy many more track days and events!

Very nice. I actually appreciate this build a lot more than a lot of the crazy LS-swap and super suspension stuff you see these days. 4spd, spherical spring eye springs, big SBC power. This looks like a simple and effective build.

Thanks everyone... A week later I'm still on a high from it

My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

Great build!

Uh oh, now you have been bitten. Don't worry, it only gets worse ;-)

Congrats! The car is great, and welcome to the stock subframe/leaf spring club.

BTW, those are nice rims. What brakes are you running? Any photos of the fronts showing caliper clearance? I've been running Vintage Wheel Works for many years but they sold out to Coker and killed of the 18" diameter series. Hence, I need a new source of strong, period similar, wheels.
      Last edited by CarlC; 08-02-2021 at 10:12 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Beautiful car! Your story sounds very similar to mine (built it all myself with help from my Dad), although you have had your car much longer. Only 6 years this winter. Love that you stayed with a SBC and 4 speed.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Best feeling in the world when the car you built yourself hangs in there for a full day of thrashing. What a way to end the day chasing down a Mustang too. congrats man.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Awesome! Dream come true right there. My car is 100% my own work in a home garage as well, so I can relate. My efforts have resulted in autocross successes, but a track day is the true test. Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      Uh oh, now you have been bitten. Don't worry, it only gets worse ;-)

Congrats! The car is great, and welcome to the stock subframe/leaf spring club.

BTW, those are nice rims. What brakes are you running? Any photos of the fronts showing caliper clearance? I've been running Vintage Wheel Works for many years but they sold out to Coker and killed of the 18" diameter series. Hence, I need a new source of strong, period similar, wheels.
      Your car has been an inspiration to me since the early 2000s! I totally copied your homemade hydro-boost back in the day, and it still works awesome!!!

Highly recommend ET Mags, they are very responsive and the wheels are exactly what I wanted, at a reasonable price. The wheels are gorgeous in person. They also make a classic 5 spoke that's period correct for our cars. I have 12.8" Wilwood Superlite 6 piston in front and they have a good 1/2" clearance on the calipers, its not even close.

My 57' Truck build:

That’s awesome - congrats ! I have a similar build in a second gen camaro that I hope to have out on track soon ! This gives me added inspiration !
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com