Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need help with converted GM HEI car

I hope someone can chime in on this since I have a small problem I caused myself. I'll just start with saying older carburetted cars are new to me. I've rebuilt/rewired FI V12s, just no exerience with this old girl and her quirks.

My 69 Impala was converted to HEI, which I unhooked to move the distributor so I could swap the transmission. Putting back together, I apparently took poor notes and now I don't know what to plug where. The dist has a 3 wire plug and vacuum advance. Ok, I got the vacuum line but I can only find 1 spade terminal from the car wire harness that looks to be spliced onto the high resistance ignition lead. Have I just lost a wire somewhere in the valley?

sorry to say but look between the bellhousing and block...
      prolly pinched between there

Thx. I'm sorry to hear that but will check it out.

Country Flag: Switzerland
      I hope this can help you (the green tach cable its found only on MSD distributors)

https://www.msdignition.com/assets/0...dd418971fe.JPG

there is a wire that comes out of the distributor and should have 3 connector on it and it plugs in closes to the cap for the coil connection. the 2 front terminals the right hand terminal should be for the hot wire and the left side is for the tack if you have on if not nothing plugs in there.

Also make sure the power wire to the HEI has a full 12 volts and is not wired into the original wiring harness. You need a full "switched" 12 volts to make the HEI work properly.

Run a 12 gauge 12 volt "switched" wire from the ignition switch to the power connector on the HEI distributor.
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

The cap should be marked BAT on the right nearest the firewall, TACH near the front. GND is not normally used. A factory tach wire will be brown.

67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com