Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ls1 oil pan mod

ls1 oil pan mod

has anyone ever modified the stock pan themselves to fit in a first gen camaro with the stock steering set up? also have not pulled pan off so dont know yet if oil pick up tube will also need adjusted.

Country Flag: United States
      Yes the oil pan mod is a pain...... but there is new hope for those going with an LSx engine package. The pick up does have to be slightly massaged to fit the pan modification, but not a big deal...... its the time involved to get something that isnt designed to fit that chassis that really is the pain.

We (at ATS) will be releasing our LSx, chassis specific oil pan very shortly and for the money, you cant beat it...... not to mention all the other little goodies built into the pan. We have incoorporated oil return holes for TT set-ups, an oil temp bung and -10AN constant radius oil tubes for use with a filter relocation. It also has a windage tray and a four door internal sump for oil control.

So, if you have a little time..... we will have pictures and pricing here shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by chicane67
      So, if you have a little time..... we will have pictures and pricing here shortly.

Tease!
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Country Flag: Canada
      Whoops! Double post - see below.
      Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Country Flag: Canada
      Yes the oil pan mod is a pain...... but there is new hope for those going with an LSx engine package. The pick up does have to be slightly massaged to fit the pan modification, but not a big deal...... its the time involved to get something that isnt designed to fit that chassis that really is the pain.

We (at ATS) will be releasing our LSx, chassis specific oil pan very shortly and for the money, you cant beat it...... not to mention all the other little goodies built into the pan. We have incoorporated oil return hole for TT set-ups, an oil temp bung and -10AN constant radius oil tubes for use with a filter relocation. It also has a windage tray and a four door internal sump for oil control.

Nice to see you fellas are keepin' busy! What else do you have in the pipeline that you can tease us with?
      Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC
      Tease!
      Well....... I cant do anything until I sell you one first. Ya know how it is Carl.

What oil pan modification has to be done to fit in a 1st gen.
      paul67

The Vette pan would be a nitemare to even consider, so it isnt a real factor in my explaination. But in concern to the F-body pan that is the item in question, the sump is just too darn long and it will not fit the stock subframe and clear the steering components.

What has to be done to the stock F-body pan, is that forward part of the sump has to be notched to fit. The notch itself is pretty big and the finished product isnt really all that 'clean' looking. Meaning, it just looks hacked unless its finished machined...... but then there is the cost of doing that too. There is also the possibility/necessary modification of the pick up tube to fit the modified floor of the pan as well. I have seen two seperate modified pans that one requires a pick up mod and the other one didnt...... but it promoted some oil control issues that I didnt like.

What else do you have in the pipeline that you can tease us with?
      Something like......... ABS and traction control ? Or like the words..... second gen ?

Mark,
      I have just went thru this with the Pontiac. Even though it is not a first gen camaro, it still needed modifing. My 6.0 has the truck pan, so no way we were going to try to modify it. I was going to have to buy a new or used pan anyway then have mods made. After several phone calls and much apprehension, I decided to go with Street and Performance. They will modify a new one they have in stock or modify yours or do an exchange. They pretty much work with you and your situation. They charged me for a pan and pick up kit plus $210 for the modifications required for my application. This of course is a fit with their mount kit and header kit for early year A-bodys. I was very impressed with the quality of work and how quick they were able to get me the part. If you think about it, $210 is not a bad price for time and materials. If your time is worth anything at all to you, they are hard to beat.
      Give them a call and tell them I told you to call!
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

We (at ATS) will be releasing our LSx, chassis specific oil pan very shortly and for the money, you cant beat it...... not to mention all the other little goodies built into the pan. We have incoorporated oil return holes for TT set-ups, an oil temp bung and -10AN constant radius oil tubes for use with a filter relocation. It also has a windage tray and a four door internal sump for oil control.

cant wait!!!! this is one part of my project that i have been putting off :(
      Chris V
      SOLD

Is it not realistic to modify the crossmember instead of the pan? I know I've got to notch mine anyway to clear the AC compressor; if I've got to take a little off the back to clear the pan I might as well do it while I'm at it...

Well.... notching the K-member weakens it..... somewhat.

And.... I wasnt going to say this, but, I think you might see a new accessory bracket and pully system to move the AC compressor forward so that you dont have to modify the K-member to make it all fit.

But I am not saying anything.....

man Tom, do you have a hole in your pocket or what?? LOL
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Quote Originally Posted by derekf
      Is it not realistic to modify the crossmember instead of the pan? I know I've got to notch mine anyway to clear the AC compressor; if I've got to take a little off the back to clear the pan I might as well do it while I'm at it...
      if you run a front rack and pinion i do not think you will have to mod the pan if you run S&P style mounts. it is all a toss up.

I am running S&P style mounts, modified LS1 headers, 91 2.25 "Z" steering box, and plan to mod my pan to clear the drag link. There are options out there for the ac compressor but to be honest right now notching the frame looks best. One company mounts it up high on the passenger side but even will all the chrome and bling bling, it still looks like crap.

If this new bracket mentioned just moves the compressor forward then it would be GREAT!! what style engine mount is it made for?
      Chris V
      SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SatisTraction
      if you run a front rack and pinion i do not think you will have to mod the pan if you run S&P style mounts. it is all a toss up.
      A-bodies are already front-steer

I need to just do a test-fit to see how much it overlaps (unless someone already has info/pics?)

LOL, i was thinking camaro
      Chris V
      SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick
      man Tom, do you have a hole in your pocket or what?? LOL
      No..... although, I wish it was full of enough moola so that it didnt all fall out.

How about another teaser ????

What style engine mount is it made for?
      Standard GM. Our kits include your choice of Poly or standard rubber.

all i gots to say is you sob!!! you sob...

i feel better now. So, when do you let us comminers get ahold of these?
      It's shake and bake!!! and i helped!
      Drewco Homes

chicane

I ment what style of conversion mount? The S7P set the engine back and the BRP set it forward. what style did you design your parts around?
      Chris V
      SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SatisTraction
      chicane

I ment what style of conversion mount? The S7P set the engine back and the BRP set it forward. what style did you design your parts around?
      Well..... it is slated to be a cast unit, like the OE mount, and it will move it forward. One thing to note is that it will most likely required the used of an aftermarket dampner (like the ATI unit) to facilitate a bolt on crank pulley. I am unfamiliar with the S7P and BRP stuff..... most of what I looking to accomplish requires a 'clean slate' product.

That is the only way to properly fit the unit on the engine accessory package, in my opinion. As we installed the engine on the spindle centerline, as the factory would have done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com