Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: Canada

'93 Nissan Skyline GTS-T Period Correct Build

Greetings,

Before we get started on the build, I just want to clear the air. Yes it know this is -Scrap and might not be everyones cup of tea, but after finding this site through "build-threads.com and scouring it for a few weeks and reading the builds on here I thought id join up. It seems like there are lots of level headed people on here who are more into fabrication than the internet name calling found on many "tuner" car forums. I promise this will be tastefully done but in the end we are all here for the love of cars right?

Anyways a little background.

Neither of my parents were into cars, but my best friend in High School's dad had a Triumph Spitfire which had been neglected and had been sitting for some time. Over the summer of grade 11 got it back up and running and spent most of the summer driving it on the back country roads to his cottage. My uncle had an MG which I "borrowed" to tear around in.

The Spitfire also made for some good light-weight fun on the frozen lake at the cottage

I wanted a car so badly but my parents said i needed to save for school first (makes so much sense now but made for much disagreement at the time.). I ended getting my bachelors in Industrial Design (Automotive Design). It had been the trend at the time to design small compact eco cars so when it was time to do my thesis project I had to do something "bigger".

I ended out doing a Dakar Support Vehicle, which won some awards and got shown at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show in the Michelin Booth.

Now on to real cars

Upon graduating I got my first design job and undertook my first project.

Here it is in all its glory. A 1990 Nissan 240sx Base Model. Not much to look at (or drive at first) but it had all the right ingredients for a fun ride

Ended out buying a 1/2 a Nissan Silvia from an importers and swapped the standard 2.4L for the 2L turbo.
      This brought the power level from 150 (factory) to about 200

Seen here with the MR2 clip we picked up for a buddies project

Ended out getting into lapping days, autos-crossing and drifting

Did a bunch of supporting mods.

Ajustable Coilovers
      Adjustable Suspension Arms.
      Larger Intercooler
      T28 from the newer S15 Silvia (15 Psi Of Boost)
      550cc Injectors
      Sparco Bucket Seat
      Light Weight 16x8 SSR Wheels (11lbs Each)

The car was a blast, But the previous canadian winters had taken their toll on the chassis and it was beyond saving. It was time to let it go.

Some shots of the car before I Let it go:

Not wanting at all to deal with rust, and having grown up in the "gran turismo" generation I promptly found my self a '93 Nissan Skyline GTS-T. Not quite the infamous GTR Model but but it had a smaller ,2.0L high revving straight 6 Turbo and simple RWD for maximum fun.

To Be Continued...

Thanks for Reading

-Jordie
      Last edited by Damn True; 10-15-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Country Flag: United States
      You're gonna have some fun with that!
      1969 Camaro. Just bought, starting the build now! :D

1978 Porsche 911 morphed into a 1973 911RS

By no means should any Skyline/Supra/NSX/RX7 not be considered a modern muscle car.

Good luck, these cars are beasts

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Subscribed. I purchased a Tamiya Axia Skyline 1/10 rc car circa 1994. I didn't even know what a Skyline was then but I have been a fan since. What are your plans for power?

Thanks for welcoming me/ this build (I was a bit skeptical).

Quote Originally Posted by alocker View Post
      Subscribed. I purchased a Tamiya Axia Skyline 1/10 rc car circa 1994. I didn't even know what a Skyline was then but I have been a fan since. What are your plans for power?
      I used to have the Tamiya Calsonic Skyline R/C as a kid it may have got the ball rolling

Power Wise I want a responsive 350hp/300tq. Big emphasis on the word responsive here, I have a couple friends who make higher power levels but the lag is unbearable and makes the car completely useless for anything else than highway grudge matches.

I have actually had to car since 2011 but have recently started the rebuild and restoration process. I will update the thread later tonight with more pictures and the rest of the story to bring us up to date.

-Jordie

Welcome!!! glad to see something different on here. keep us up to date and post lots of pics. we like pics, LOL
      Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

I'm excited to see this project. As much as i love classic detroit iron there is a soft spot in my heart for skylines. Japanese muscle lol
      72 dodge D100, 66 Plymouth Sportfury, 98 Ram SS/T

Love it, I really want something along the lines of a 90's Japanese sports car. I know a lot of people with 240's and they love them.
      John McLoughlin
      1970 Pontiac Lemans
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lemans-Update

Gonna do the 2.6TT skyline swap?

welcome, skylines are one of my favorite cars, cant wait to see this.
      chaz selby

Very cool. The R32 has always been my favorite version of the Skyline; and the GTS should be a better platform for a "fun" car. My friend has an RB20 powered 240z and another friend had an SR powered 240z. As you know 400hp is just a couple pieces and a tune away.

Keep us posted.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

As a fan of all types of hot rods, I approve of this project. Not that you needed my blessing...LOL

Looking forward to updates.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Welcome! The people on this site are awesome and just truly love cars.
      I've got a buddy with a skyline pushing 1000 whp. One bad vehicle!

Looking forward to following along!
      Stephen S.
      1967 Ford Mustang 4.7L, T5

I'm really wanting to import an 89 GTR next year.... I only wish I could get my hands on an r33.

We will definitely accept Skylines here, especially since they did not let us have them in the U.S. The GTR of recent vintage is quite nice, however. Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      We will definitely accept Skylines here, especially since they did not let us have them in the U.S. The GTR of recent vintage is quite nice, however. Progress!
      Its a shame that they were banned in the U.S. because in the end it is just a car. They will be legal next year when the 89's turn 25 years old.

Anyways I picked up the car in early 2011 from a good friend for $5000 as he was moving out of Ontario to British Colombia.

These cars always come from Japan with a few goodies (makes for a cool treasure hunt) The Specs of my skyline were as followed

1993 Nissan Skyline R32 Type-M (Factory aero package, better brakes and 5 lug hubs) 143,000 kms
      Standard RB20det 6cyl 2.0L engine
      1.5 nismo diff
      Greddy/ Trust boost controller.
      Greddy Boost Gauge.
      Kei Office Coilovers.
      Nismo Wheels
      Nismo Shift Knob
      Adjustable front upper control arms.
      and a steering wheel to make Paul Walker Jealous

Enough words, More Pics.

The car had been in a slight front end collision which bent the top rad support slightly. The previous owner had done a quick and easy fix with some 1" square stock as skyline front ends arnt that easy to come by.

I am going to apologize in advance for the varying quality of the next bunch of photos.

I drove the car for much of 2011:

My Friend Santiago Owns the nice white Silvia

The Nismo Rims came with 50 series sidewall tires mounted which would rub the bottom off the fender

so naturally the First task was to de-wing the car and get all 4 wheels mounted.

Next was to get rid of the God Awful Momo wheel that came with the car

Picked this up for a decent price (Nismo horn buttons are extremely hard to come by)

I am a huge fan of the japan highway racer look so the car didnt stay de-winged for very long.

Spent the rest of the summer 2011 enjoying the car, sliding around and chilling with my friends. I didnt have much money and it was my daily driver so a big build was out of the question.

my fun abruptly ended when the 18 year old coolant lines burst on a rainy night and the motor overheated badly.

At this time I got a new design Job with a longer commute so i bit the bullet and bought a civic to slum back and forth to work in. Since the condo i was renting did not have 2 parking spaces the car was trailered back to my parents house (300km away)

Not to be left out. i bought it a rock solid container to keep it safe and secure as my parents live in the downtown core and dont have a garage

Summer of 2012 was spent driving home on weekends to try and get stuff done but nothing really major happened.

I splurged on some Super Rare Tommy Kaira aero parts and made it look cool for motivation.

Completed the highway racer look with a GTR bumper, Jun Lip and Aero Mirrors

Deciding that renting a condo was a waste of money I bit the bullet and bought a small house in Toronto. Really wanted one with a garage, but unfortunately it wasn't in the cards. Ended out getting one with a huge 6 car driveway and a work shed with power in the back yard (next best thing haha)

Now that I have place to work on the car that isn't 300km away i can start the ball rolling again.

-Cheers

Finally something different

Excited to see this thing rolling! I love r32's
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Touring-Truck

DMP Fabrication LLC
      Follow me on Instagram for welding and truck progress! - Americangraffiti

Awesome car man! I daily drive a stock s14 its not fast but its light weight a ton of fun and keeps me out of trouble since its slow

Quote Originally Posted by paulgurley View Post
      Awesome car man! I daily drive a stock s14 its not fast but its light weight a ton of fun and keeps me out of trouble since its slow
      Thanks! I daily drove my s13 for about a week with the SOHC KA and it was unbearable. 250hp in that car was just the right amount to make it fun without constantly having to change tires haha. I miss driving an S-chassis, but with a 60km daily commute there is nothing a reliable and cheap to run as a civic.

Had a slower day at work today, so I thought I would make use of some of the equipment in the office.

In my first post I had mentioned that I went to school for Industrial Design. In my previous job I designed consumer products such as the Spoon for Yogen Fruz (frozen yogurt chain) and all the cases for Simoniz Pressure Washers among other things. Currently I am working at a transit lighting manufacturer, we supply interior and exterior LED lighting fixtures for Various Transit Authorities with the main one in the US being AMTRAK.

Recently i had purchased some gauges to keep an eye on the temps, oil and boost pressure. I knew what I wanted and spent months tracking down very specific Black / Amber HKS Gauges. HKS stopped producing these in the late 90's meaning they are extremely hard to come by with all the sensors and wiring.

I Lucked out and got a Bracket to mount the smaller 46mm Gauges in the DIN Pocket just above the climate control on the centre console.

I really didnt want to make Holes in the dash for mounting the larger 60mm Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges, So I decided on the column mount. In my old 240sx i had my wideband on a column mount pod which I likes. I couldn't find one that wasn't in cheezy carbon fibre finish so that mean it was time for some designing.

took the steering column cover off and mocked up what I wanted with cardboard.

Designed the Pod In Solidworks...

And Printed it.

I took about an hour to print on our printer and is accurate to .001"

Did a quick mock up with my old Greddy Gauge because my larger 60mm HKS gauges are still in the mail.

We are set to get a CNC Router table June 11th which means i can make a bunch more parts, so i cant wait for that.

Have a good weekend everyone,

-Jordie

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com