Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

iRacing hardware...

So I looked up some youtube videos of guys racing....

It looks like fun, can anyone shed some light on the hardware that is required? I see some guys building cockpit like enclosures for their seats to have an emersive experience.

Logitech G27 for controls....anyone else make these?

How about computer hardware? I see guys with 3 displays...video cards?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

It's the standard answer... It depends.
      My current setup is as follows
      -Intel 2600k OC to 4.6GHz
      -AMD 6970 (x2 in crossfire. iRacing does not have crossfire or SLI support figured out very well yet, so not much to be gained here. A 7970 6GB version would be helpful for trips)
      -Obutto cockpit
      -Single 27" screen (trips are a HUGE help, however, so I'd like to upgrade)
      -TSW digital 720 wheel/3 pedal with load cell brake (Expensive, heavy, no force feedback, but very stout and excellent customer service)

iRacing is heavily CPU dependent, so you'll want a fairly stout system well in excess of minimum requirements and a solid internet connection to get the most out of it. The community is great (As long as you have a thick skin when dealing with the occasional troll. We do have a few)

The requirements (according to me)
      -a solid, mid-range system that can give you a minimum of 60fps (there are lots of graphics adjustments, so not a problem)
      -a wheel and pedal set. The Logitech G27 is a very common standard, but there are others out there depending on your budget. We have quite a few reviews and the like in our forum. Tsw, fanatec, thrustmaster all make good wheels. There are also some niche market mfgrs like ECCI, among others
      -The more monitor area you have, the better off you'll be. Size to budget
      -a desk with a non-rolling chair is fine to start off with. The Obutto r3volution is AWESOME, but expensive. I've thinking of mating my Obutto with a computer desk to get the best of both worlds.

There are plenty of people who will give you advise. Here's the gist of it.

-if you join, read the Sporting Code. We do think of this as a form of motorsport. It helps to know the rules going in.
      -concentrate on getting out of rookie. Drive SAFELY and don't worry about placing well right away. Rookie races are a crunch-fest.
      -concentrate on having fun and remember not to take things too personally. I've seen too many instances where the fun of a great race has been taken away by those who forget that a hobby's supposed to be fun, and that tight racing is a GOOD thing.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. It's a ton of fun for me and very educational.
      Tad
      '73 Camaro RS in progress.
      L-D 3-link (working on the front end, too), SCP spindles, Wilwood brakes. I'll be working on it for A WHILE!

Stick to the Invidia GPU for iRacing, that's all it's optimized for. If you're going VR you'll need at least a 3080 ti or better to get a good experience. I went VR and it was a ton of work to tune, but the experience is super fun!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com