Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

CPP C5 Spindle Brake Kit - Who Has Used Them?

Has anybody actually used the new CPP C5 Spindle Brake Kit on the street, road course, autocross, etc? I want to do my research on these before pulling the trigger. I need complete front brake setup for my Chevelle. Thanks Guys!

I was initially skeptical in purchasing them for my 72 Chevelle, but I reluctantly pulled the trigger.

I am proud to report that they install, fit, and perform flawlessly! I have had them on for about 3-4 months now (since they were introduced) and am quite pleased with them. Very hard to beat, considering the price of your Baers, Wilwoods, SSBC's, and the like. Yes, I'm sure those brands offers some better quality parts here and there, but I am just as concerned with quality performance...and these deliver!

No autocrossing, but I am a very spirited (read: AGGRESSIVE) driver. I am running QA1 adjustables on all 4 corners, SPC upper/lower controls arms, Hotchkis sway bars front and rear, along with their rear lower control arms. I give anyone that even looks at me the wrong way the business on the highway...and the CPP C5 kit hauls my big girl down from speed effortlessly!

The only thing I would recommend is swapping the pads for ceramics. Not sure the reasoning, but CPP loads the calipers with a semi-metallic pad to maybe cut costs...not sure...but they are noisy after getting some heat into them, and they give off quite a bit of brake dust. I simply switched to ceramic AC Delco pads...problem solved. And they were only $39 on eBay.

I recommend highly...and no, I have no vested interest with CPP. Just a satisfied customer.

Hope this helps.

Yes! Thanks for the quick reply. So your Chevelle isn't a purpose-built track car? ... mine either. But would you drive it hard on an autocross track or road course? Second, did you realize any handling differences with this kit? Thanks again!

Anybody else? Please tell me, The good, the bad, the ugly. Your input will definitely be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 18 View Post
      Yes! Thanks for the quick reply. So your Chevelle isn't a purpose-built track car? ... mine either. But would you drive it hard on an autocross track or road course? Second, did you realize any handling differences with this kit? Thanks again!

Anybody else? Please tell me, The good, the bad, the ugly. Your input will definitely be appreciated!
      No...not a purpose-built track car. I purchased it as a recreational/leisurely cruiser, as I assumed the deeper I got into better handling/braking performance, the further I would go into the poor house. I initially did some just-to-get-by type upgrades...cheap dropped spindles, cheap disc brake upgrade (with old school GM spindle), coupled with better quality pieces such as Hotchkis springs and Bilstein shocks. That's where I thought it would end, as I was also trying to build up the motor and tranny at the same time, as it came with a tired 350/350 combo. As long as my stance was right, I felt I was good to go.....how wrong I was.

After some rough riding, poor handling, and premature tire wear, I decided to get serious about my suspension and the parts I chose. It was one of those things that kind of snowballed. I never intended to drop as much cash on suspension as I did. Now I am a firm believer in the 'suspension is one of the best/most effective upgrades you can make to your car' philosophy that so many follow.

I know I ramble, but to answer your question - yes, I did notice improved handling. However, I can't necessarily credit that entirely to the CPP kit, as I did the SPC uppers/lowers and close ratio steering box at the same time that I installed the CPP kit. But again, I know for sure that the braking is much improved over the basic drum-to-disc conversion that I had installed. I spent a crap ton of money by trying the cheaper alternatives to save a buck.

And no, I would have no qualms putting it on a road course. I recognize it's a different animal that spirited highway driving, but I feel she would hold her own out there.

That sounds great for the CPP parts. Thanks for your time and your help! As a side note, I read on another site that Summit Racing sells the CPP kit cheaper than CPP sells it for. One guy had the kit delivered for $590 I think!

Who else uses the CPP C5 Spindle Brake Kit? Please jump on in here if you do.

I have them on my 73 Camaro and am very pleased. I never really drove the car with the old brakes because of poor braking. The parts fit well, look good, and most importantly the car stops! I do plan on changing out the pads asap and getting some Hawk pads.

Thank you for the input. I actually thought the Hawk pads would be a nice upgrade too. Still wanting a few more to share their thoughts on these...

I also was going to go with the Hawks, but I decided to get some feedback from actual C5 drivers on a Corvette forum. Several recommended the AC Delcos for the peformance...and the price point. Hell, I figured...at only $39, I can afford to try them, then upgrade to Hawks/EBC/Carbotech if the ACD's turned out to be crap.

That is a good point. Thanks.

Hey Guys does anybody else have the CPP C5 Spindle Brake Kit in your car? Looking for feedback, good or bad. Thanks.

CPP C5 Spindle Brake Kit - Who Has Used Them?

I just installed a set on a 67 Chevelle. Fits well have not had a chance to test them out yet. Also fits American racing cl205 17" wheels!

Thanks for the reply. Can you post your opinion on these after you test them out?

Quote Originally Posted by novajess1972 View Post
      I also was going to go with the Hawks, but I decided to get some feedback from actual C5 drivers on a Corvette forum. Several recommended the AC Delcos for the peformance...and the price point. Hell, I figured...at only $39, I can afford to try them, then upgrade to Hawks/EBC/Carbotech if the ACD's turned out to be crap.
      could you get me a part# on the pads you got on ebay?i have the vette c5 calipers on all four corners but need pads.thank you.phil
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      could you get me a part# on the pads you got on ebay?i have the vette c5 calipers on all four corners but need pads.thank you.phil
      I can't locate part number, but if you PM me your email address, I can forward the eBay listing. I thought it might be on the listing, but I don't see it.

JW

I thought TTII won't clear c5 calipers without spacers. Are the CPP calipers different?

Quote Originally Posted by 67machrod View Post
      I just installed a set on a 67 Chevelle. Fits well have not had a chance to test them out yet. Also fits American racing cl205 17" wheels!

I also just threw their Front C5 set up on my 68 GTO this spring. They do fit... after awhile. The parts of their machined brackets didnt fit each other (The disc spindle spacer they give you). I sent an email to them and heard nothing back. I was happy with other purchases from them, but now i feel like the quality wasnt there on this one. This was my list i sent them.. and heard nothing:

This kit is not bolt on... and does require some machining. I am not happy with the quality of this kit so far.
      -Aluminum bracket, the tolerances are not the same between the two i received. Both required some drilling of the mounting holes just to fit the bolt to the spindle. Second issue is the fitment to the caliper...the caliper was hitting a portion of the machined relief.. which needed to be take down so the caliper would sit flush on the bracket for a proper mating surface.
      -Bolt package that came with the kit? WTF are those for? They dont fit the caliper and they dont even fit in the holes if you were going to use one for the bracket to the spindle. comes with washers, lock washers, nuts, and two length bolts that were ENGLISH Thread.
      -No caliper bolts were included. M14x2.0 x 35mm You need 4 of them.
      -wheel studs included, nice thought, they are completely different diameter spline neck.
      -Calipers are not C5 calipers!!

Sorry not a super negative guy, and glad some of you had no issues with them!

Are you referring to c5 or c4/c5 hybrid kit? I am running the hybrid kit and it is good so far. The studs where wrong but everything else worked out good. I used the stock drum spindles with my kit. The spacer mentioned above is if you use stock disc spindle. For the money I can't complain...they stop much better than stock...I will be upgrading pads though
      David Butler
      "If you're not first, you're last"
      67 Camaro Twin Turbo SBC (changing from Blow-thru to Holley HP EFI)

Post some pics of the kits installed and which wheels you guys are running,I'd love to see what you guys are using

GTTO, what exactly did you order? CPP C5 kits use a brand new steering knuckle (aka spindle or upright) and the normal big brake kits use steel brackets, not aluminum. Do you have any pictures?
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Can you guys post some photos of them installed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com