Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Rust removal Pro-Tip

I was at Harbor Tool yesterday picking up a sandblast cabinet when I saw this Evapo-Rust stuff and thought what the hell, I値l give it a try.

I知 amazed at the results from an overnight soak. I知 reconditioning what ever I can from my 69 Camaro. With this stuff I can practically re use the whole car. If only I could dip the frame in it. Here is a after pic of the Ebrake. It was nasty but salvagable.

Buy with confidence.

Name:  IMG_1221.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  96.9 KBName:  IMG_1222.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  102.6 KBName:  IMG_1223.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  151.2 KB
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

Nice..
      Jim S.
      67 RS
      "driver "

Yes Sir. I picked up a small bottle to try. I used it on all the body bolts on my 68 C10 and I was amazed. 24 hr. bath, rinse and dry and they thread in like brand new. No more standing at the blast cabinet for hours doing bolts.

What is in this stuff that is non-acidic?
      Jim S.
      67 RS
      "driver "

Used that stuff once to clean out a really bad gas tank on my shovelhead Harley----worth every penny spent----really good. Autozone and O'Reilie's carries it too, as well as a lot of tractor supply houses. Non-toxic too---won't damage paint, washes off with water, and you can dump it onto your lawn without fear.

Do you have to de-grease the bolts first?

Definitely a great company

WD40 just came out with a line of that type of stuff i haven't tried it but the evapo works great
      yes it does have positraction

great stuff.
      86'monte carlo ss. Plan to build a bare bones protouring hotrod with a turbo ls1 and 4l80e.

I know this thread is from April but I thought I'd help everyone out with a cheaper method. If you use regular " cleaning vinegar" from wal-mart located in the food isle, it will take off all the rust just as good for only $2.00 a gallon. I use it all the time. Its acid in the vinegar that cleans it. The higher acid content the vinegar has the better it will clean off the rust. But as stated earlier the cleaning vinegar works great. Hope this helps out everyone in the future.

While I'm sure vinegar works well, does it affect any other things that may be attached to the parts? Like rubber or plastic?

I used Evaporust on a pile of nuts and bolts that the previous owner left in an open coffee can. Some had bushings and the like, it all went in. After it was out the rust was all gone, but none of the plastic/rubber was affected. Very cool stuff. Also, if you were going to paint the parts after vinegar, you want to make damn sure you get it neutralized.

Isnt that the stuff that counts customs in vegas endorses? Man I believe in that stuff!

73 Camaro
      Gene

First I've heard of the stuff, but I'm amazed at how good it works. The post about standing at a sand blast cabinet for hours I can relate to!! I'll definitely have to try this out.

Carl

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

WOW I was just going to ask my buddy if I could come over and borrow the bead blaster over the holidays. I'm in !!!
      64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

I know this is an old thread. But thought I would share my thoughts. I bought some of the evaporust to take care of some parts. Turns out I walked out of there spending almost $100 at harbor freight. In hindsight I feel i should have just bought the cabinet for the same amount of money and been able to re-use that for the future.

We keep a bottle of that stuff on hand at the shop. I've used it on alot of things from de-rusting old tools to cleaning out a gas tank in a truck that was sitting for a few years. It's good stuff.

I used to use a company called Rustco here in Long Beach. Could throw the whole motorcycle gas tank in it and it would eat the rust and not harm the paint.

When working on Titanic in Mexico City a bunch of the tanks were getting messed up so I told production about the place, They used barrels of the stuff then had to dispose of it when they left so they called Maurice to see what he recommended. He told them to dump it in the ocean, its fine. Well it was fine for a while then a month later the Mexican govt called him to find out what they should do about the ocean vegetation growing out of control.

The stuff was a great fertilizer. I think a lot of the products you can get off the shelf now is the same stuff.

The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com