Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      On the electric fans, I convert mechanical to electric pretty regularly. I see anywhere from a 1-4MPG improvement from it. While it is true that the alternator has to take power off the engine to turn the electric fan (efan), it's also true that once you're going over about 20MPH or so airflow is enough across the radiator that the fan is no longer needed, and stops drawing power. And, if the computer is set up for efans, it will monitor air conditioning head pressure and only turn the fans on if the pressure gets too high, or when it knows vehicle speed is too slow to run the air. A mechanical fan (mfan), on the other hand, is always spinning and using power even if the clutch isn't engaged.

There are a few other advantages, such as fan speed is no longer controlled by engine RPM. A car with a mfan on a really hot day may not move enough air at a stoplight to keep the air conditioner cool, while an efan can run flat out. Every conversion I've done has shown a marked improvement in AC operation at idle under the hot Oklahoma sun. You'll also see a steeper delta on engine RPM at WOT, because the engine still has to spin that big heavy mfan even if the clutch isn't locked. On one of my conversions involving a 2.8L V6, the truck in question went from a top speed of 70MPH to about 100MPH. Yes, it had other problems, but the fan clutch wasn't one of them. A fluid clutch will still resist speed changes between the fan and the water pump. With the efan, the engine is only spinning the much lighter water pump*, not the water pump and rather large fan. In addition, the water pump bearing and seal are designed to hold the mfan's weight. By removing the mfan's weight, you're taking the largest part of the water pump's load off, so the water pump should last a lot longer.

The only disadvantage to switching is efans are more expensive, more complicated, and harder to repair on the road even though it's not really that much harder.

*only noting changes, the rest of the accessories aren't changing.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Not exactly progress in my eyes but at least I'm getting to spend money on a car I haven't driven in a few years?

These pieces came in:
      Name:  manifold assy.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  359.1 KB

The injectors are ours so I pulled 30 to run in and then flow to get a matched set when things settle down some at work.

Finally got rear quarter panels after a four month delay. The shop found two in CA so I ended up paying an extra $600 in shipping verses a wait and see approach to get East Coast inventory. Now the body work can move forward.

Good looking intake! Are those LS3 injectors? Are you going to do LS style coils?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I hadn’t really thought about much beyond a standard single coil. I have access to them if there’s any benefit.
      Yes, they are 06 - 13 Corvette injectors. I still need to run in 30 of them and pick out the closest 8 flow rates.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      I hadn’t really thought about much beyond a standard single coil. I have access to them if there’s any benefit.
      Yes, they are 06 - 13 Corvette injectors. I still need to run in 30 of them and pick out the closest 8 flow rates.
      With 8 coils you have a much longer coil dwell time, which increases spark energy. I would use a dummy distributor just to drive the oil pump, and get one of these:

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/c...ne/efi-58x-sbc

Pick whichever one works with your engine block. Then you wire the EFI as if it was a Gen 4 LS engine.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

It’s a BBC. Will the Holley dual sync distributor work? That was in the plan.

It’s a BBC. Will the Holley dual sync distributor work? That was in the plan.
      A dual synch would work, but I really like the EFI Connection solution. They make big block kits as well:
      https://www.eficonnection.com/home/c...ne/efi-58x-bbc

The dual synchs take about 2 seconds of cranking before the can and crank sensors synch up, which leads to a short delay in startup. The EFI Connection solution should synch just as fast as a LS engine.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 05-01-2022 at 08:03 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Whoops again. Looks like the Mk IV engine is not supported. I am keeping the rev range around stock - this is after all a car for touring. I've got time before I get the car back but probably working off the "simple is better" approach for EFI.

Good to see that your back at it.

Whoops again. Looks like the Mk IV engine is not supported. I am keeping the rev range around stock - this is after all a car for touring. I've got time before I get the car back but probably working off the "simple is better" approach for EFI.
      You can use the dual synch and do coil near plug.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Couple more pieces of the puzzle arrived today.

Name:  09FB06DC-4C17-48B3-84A8-F75CEBAC9286.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  639.4 KB

I'll take a glass of Larceny on the rocks please.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Where did you source the a-pillars with speakers from?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      And skip the Four Roses small batch?

That one is easy... Kentucky
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

At the end of the night it all tastes the same :-P

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

There's a story to these freshly painted trailer ramps:

Name:  IMG_3956.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  144.0 KB

Took my E46 to a HPDE last weekend in Savannah, GA. Made sure all the car prep was done, laid the tools out, and planned to leave Friday around noon. The spouse made a last minute request to install new "no drill" mud flaps on our F150 and since it was spoken for, I was using one of our test trucks from work. "No drill" isn't and I had to scramble just to get the fronts mounted. Now I'm in a hurry.
      Loaded the car onto the trailer and realized I left my medical form in the car at work. Not that big of a deal so I headed out to pick it up. About a mile onto I-385 I started getting violent trailer sway and had to pull over. Unloaded my car (not sure why) and reloaded it all the way forward to load up the truck axle. Got back on the road to work and picked up my medical form, realizing that I left my helmet at home. Home was in the direction I needed to go so not that much out of the way. Got my helmet and was finally on my way.
      The 4 hour drive proceeded mostly without incident... Somehow and somewhere in the scramble I forgot to rotate the trailer jack back up and on the first fuel stop I noticed it was down. Checked it and it came off in my hands so I tossed it in the truck bed. Not amused but I was back on my way.
      Arrived at the Motel 6 in Savannah. Never again. I haven't travelled in a while and was just looking for a room close to the track. My non-smoking room smelled like someone had been sneaking in while I was gone and smoking. Still, I made it and decided to unload the car since it's easier to drive just the car around. Walked around the back and there were no ramps in the slots on the trailer. They were 4 hours away in Greenville on the side of the highway. Almost went home at that point.
      Googled the closest Northern Tool and they had a set of 3000 lb equipment ramps in stock. Marginal, but enough for my 3200 lb BMW.
      Had a great Saturday/Sunday at the track, learned a lot, and ended up deciding to put a 4 point cage and harnesses in the car for safety.
      On the late afternoon drive home, I scanned the road where I had pulled my car off and didn't see anything so I thought the ramps were gone for good.
      Monday morning on the drive to work, I thought I caught sight of a ramp as I was passing so I made a loop back around to check again.
      I found one ramp. Why not two or none, I have no idea but it was enough that I could make a copy, which is where we ended up today.

Anyone need a pair of aluminum equipment ramps?

What an epic adventure!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Just Dashes recovered the A pillars and integrated the speakers for me. Loooong lead time with those guys.

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized this thread is 9 years old. Would like to close at no more than 10.

Still in paint jail. Was actually 8 months to find quarter panels and yes, it sucks being displaced while you watch other cars continue to progress.
      Had this fun thing happen at Road Atlanta 2 weekends ago:
      Name:  clutch repair.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  184.4 KB
      3 track sessions in the downshift into the last corner decided not to happen and we just coasted over to (luckily) a paved section off track. Took a few days to motivate on this project and what you see is what I found.
      On the upside, it was the highest score I've gotten from an instructor so far.
      Replacing with a segmented kevlar clutch, single mass flywheel, and chassis mounted shifter. Driving again at Carolina Motorsports Park in October.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com