Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Hacked up MagnaFlow.

Need a sheet metal repair strategy

So this kind of put a damper on my day. I always thought the firewall seam looked a little odd and I had time to take a needle scaler to it today. First pass pushed through the bondo and rust at the top of the firewall panel.
      Name:  firewall1.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  183.8 KB
      Hoping I have enough good metal to not have to make a 90 degree bend. I wasn't planning on having the paint shop fix this part of the car.

I'll also have to take of the protecto plate, which I have to do some research on.

After I got to looking at this, and finding out I'm not on the paint schedule until December, I decided it wasn't as daunting as I initially thought. I cut out a test piece to get a look at what I'm dealing with - there's not a shared assembly out there with the smaller GM cars and concluded I could go ahead with repairing this part of the car myself. Lots of time to sit and drill out spot welds.
      Name:  firewall3.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  175.5 KB

Three layers of awesome

Could use some input about the approach I'm taking here. The top of my firewall is 3 layers of metal: The top of the cowl, the bottom of the wiper cavity from inside the car, and overlapped by the firewall. I have enough clean metal to work with without cutting out the curves. Some light surface rust at the center of the wiper cavity - I'll have to figure out how to get to that. Patch the cowl, patch and rosette weld the wiper cavity, and then patch and rosette weld the firewall back over?

I'll feel better doing this in sections rather than cutting everything out at once.
      Name:  cowl1.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  256.5 KB

John,

I wish I could help, but this stuff is way past my pay grade.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I think it’s only just past your interest level. I have to do this before the FI.

There is not 20ga sheet metal to be had in this town on Saturday. Even the one place that was open has shifted their hours due to Covid-19.
      Time was probably better spent on what I actually ended up doing. Have to pull out the damping material, which is not so bad. It was adhered but seems to release from the epoxy with a little coaxing. Got the front footwells stripped out and drilled out some more spot welds.
      Name:  interior strip.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  146.5 KB
      Name:  firewall3.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  201.9 KB
      Cautiously optimistic about being able to patch the cowl. Oddly, the seam sealer seemed to be the cause of the rust.
      Decided to lose the Camaro console and build a custom one. I was never happy with the options for finishing out the end against the firewall.

Had a new post disappear. Or...I forgot to hit the "submit" button. Spent the first half of the day at the BMW performance center tracking my E46 coupe. Nothing broke so good day. Tackled the first section of the firewall after that. Glad I decided to work in sections - I only have so far I can get behind the panel and clamp for the bottom spot welds. This first one was a couple inches longer than I have tools for but I managed to get the bottom clamped and tacked. Happy with the results so far. Helps that I have more tools to work with this time.
      Name:  firewall4.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  306.6 KB

Wrapped the lower wiper cowl up around this morning. That's layer number 2. I'll keep working across until I run out of rusted metal. Not sure what the pink is in the picture (it turned out to be a reflection from from rolling stool seat).
      Really dodged a *rust* bullet on the right side. It stopped before I had to cut into the section with hood hinge reinforcements. After some back and forth, I decided to duplicate the wiper motor mount rather than piece the original back together.

Name:  firewall5.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  firewall6.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  298.9 KB

I keep swearing to people I was just going to close up some holes in the firewall. I'm finally ready to to that. Got the last of the wiper cowl done today.
      Seems like a shame to do all that metal blending just to put another piece right on top. It won't be a career for me but at least I know everything underneath is metal.
      Name:  firewall7.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  311.9 KB

Solid progress!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thought I would never get here. Already filled in a few unused holes. Now I can move on to what I was planning in the first place. Second attempt at bead rolling. The first piece was me figuring out what part of the die to follow a line with. I've planned on making an interior panel with studs to mount my AC unit. It will stiffen up that portion of the firewall a bit and leave the outside of the firewall clean.

Name:  firewall9.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  198.5 KB

Slowly moving, waiting for the paint shop to open a spot...
      Set the engine back in place this weekend. I finally have enough weight on the front to cycle the suspension.

Have to take out the rest of the interior and the top.
      Name:  image0.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  318.5 KB

Things are moving pretty slow even though my paint shop appointment is looming in December. Been getting the E46 ready for driving school at the end of October and getting excited about that. I did put the front brakes back on and figure out which brakes lines were going to work with the master cylinder. I ordered a stainless set and they didn't have the pattern for my version of the front brake line so they worked from the original and even bent in the extra piece I had made to get to get rid of the old prop valve. Now I have a clean looking brake line setup under the master cylinder. Also have studs in the firewall for the Vintage Air unit. Hung the front fenders and continued removing the sound damping material. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and probably was, but getting it back off has been a chore. About a third of the way left and then I take off the top and do some minor fabrication to change up the inner dash support. It cleared everything but caused some crowding of the AC ducting. That's it for me until it goes in for paint.
      Still haven't decided on a color for it yet. Some version of silver is a strong contender but I'm also a fan of blue... I feel like I don't want the car too bright because of it's size. I love the BMW topaz blue in the background but that's a much smaller car and it seems like it would be overwhelming on an 18 foot car.
      Name:  brakes_on.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  288.1 KB

Nice progress! I think it would look amazing in the old "Daytona Blue", but I'm 100% biased!!

Name:  IMG_0362.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  416.7 KB
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Seat bracket was soul crushing. I was never happy with the mounts I put in the first time and wanted something that looked closer to a factory style mount. Finally realized I could mock up the bracket bends with sheet metal and came up with something for the top side.
      Name:  seat bracket mock up.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  362.6 KB

From there it was copy and weld with heavier steel.

Since I moved the seat back 3", there were some issues with structural support at the rear. The front side bolts still went through the floor brace like the factory mounts. On the rear, it was just sheet metal and I didn't like the flex I was seeing. On the inside, I ended up tying in to the rear floor brace with an outrigger out of 1/8" plate. I got a break on the outside and just had to add a square of 1/8" that butted up against two other structural pieces. Destroyed my garage and emptied out the last of my weld cylinder but I think I'm happy with the result.
      Name:  seat%20brace.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  323.4 KB

Took 2 weeks but I think I'm happy with how the seats bolt in.
      Name:  seatmount1.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  182.8 KBName:  seatmount3.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  175.0 KB

Getting structural rear mounts took some figuring but they are solid. Didn't even need to grind the welds on the second set.
      Name:  seatmount2.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  112.3 KB

Got my birthday/Xmas present wired up for the inaugural lifting yesterday. Weird that my car makes the lift look tiny.

Name:  lift.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  297.7 KB

I bet having a lift makes life a lot easier!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Patiently waiting for the paint shop....

Taking care of odds and ends as I think of them. Just installed a set of Sanderson BB10 headers and omg they fit. 3rd time on headers to get something with ground clearance and don't have to hit with a hammer. Next stop was custom if these didn't work. Was setting up the clutch linkage and I have this much room to work in:
      Name:  header1 (2).jpg
Views: 700
Size:  358.8 KB

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com