Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Thanks for mentioning this. I'm looking to cut down noise as much as possible in my vert. Always figured there must be something in addition to Dynamat that could help.

So are you saying you used the adhesive closed cell foam on top of the MLV, before putting down the carpet?
      Yes. Go check out Sounddeadenershowdown.com

He is out of business now, but is leaving the website up until next February. LOTS of good info there.
      It explains what different materials do, how to implement them, etc.

I see lots of cheap deadener and "deadener-like products," in car audio sections of car forums.

If you want to see some real deadening jobs, go check out the build section of DIYmobileaudio.com
      There's a lot of good info there, too.

About the only place I see people still using Dynamat brand stuff is usually on car forums. Car Audio forums
      don't use it as much. Lately the new hotness has been Soundskins, Damplifier pro, etc.

Also, besides MLV, there are products that are essentially lead sheets with closed cell foam on them, that do a similar job to MLV.

There is also Hydrobphobic Melamine foam (I think that's what it's called) that people are using on roofs, nowadays.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Thanks for mentioning this. I'm looking to cut down noise as much as possible in my vert. Always figured there must be something in addition to Dynamat that could help.

So are you saying you used the adhesive closed cell foam on top of the MLV, before putting down the carpet?
      Foam goes between the MLV and the source of noise. It is intended as an isolation layer so as to not transmit vibration.

MLV can be had on Amazon reasonably priced. Most use 1/lb per sq ft.
      I got adhesive backed closed cell foam from Raamaudio.com.

Jay

That bit of revision to the cable exit angle on the Camaro parking brake lever and the grommet. The Camaro grommet was so awesome I ordered a new one. It is not a 90 degree pass-through but allows a LOT of flex while maintaining a cable seal.
      Name:  pbrake_assy4.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  146.1 KB
      The red paint is from the original donor car. Basically all I ended up keeping from the original idea.

Starting to feel like I might not be behind schedule. 77 days to the Power Tour?
      Waiting on the new steering wheel. The one I bought to have recovered cracked. No more cheap wheels...
      Name:  interior8sm.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  208.3 KB

Really happy with these wheels:
      Name:  IMG_2808.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  128.9 KB
      I think this might be the winter I'm ready to part with it for body work.

This is getting old...
      Name:  springs.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  185.4 KB
      Part on the left is from Eaton Detroit spring from the factory prints.
      Part on the right is from a Viking distributor (not Viking).

Learning even where one can get decent parts is part of the fuggery of this hobby.

The Eaton spring looks good. Why didn't you get two of those?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      The Eaton spring looks good. Why didn't you get two of those?

Andrew
      So hoping that was sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      So hoping that was sarcasm.
      It wasn't...I don't know what Impala springs should look like...
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

That bit of revision to the cable exit angle on the Camaro parking brake lever and the grommet. The Camaro grommet was so awesome I ordered a new one. It is not a 90 degree pass-through but allows a LOT of flex while maintaining a cable seal.
      Name:  pbrake_assy4.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  146.1 KB
      The red paint is from the original donor car. Basically all I ended up keeping from the original idea.
      Can you tell me where you got the grommet for this from? All of the diagrams I find show only the whole assembly not the individual parts. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      It wasn't...I don't know what Impala springs should look like...
      It has coil springs on all 4 corners. Whoever spec'ed the rears in this case sent a pair of progressive rate springs, which appeared to have different rates on closer inspection. They were a pain to get in and out due to the extra length. They also bulged under load and rubbed a control arm bracket enough that I had to change the pinion angle to accommodate.

Quote Originally Posted by H20cooled View Post
      Can you tell me where you got the grommet for this from? All of the diagrams I find show only the whole assembly not the individual parts. Thanks!
      Found it:
      https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c.../92235052.html

Thank you!

Power Tour 2019

So we did a thing. I've been scrambling to get all the mechanical stuff sorted for the Hotrod Power Tour and it all worked out. Had a sticky thermostat to replace and the 50 year old wiper motor died with 30 minutes of rain left on the drive home. Think this is the winter for paint and body work.
      Name:  TN_long haul_sm.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  111.9 KB

Nice! I see you found some parts for it.

Just spent the warm season driving my car. This winter is time to rework the frame. I needed more space so the big girl will be getting her own room soon:
      Name:  EB2A82C6-A6D4-4509-B627-01C5D8689DC2.jpeg
Views: 811
Size:  29.2 KB
      For scale, those are 12 foot doors.

These are first world problems, I get that. I'd really like to be working on my car but I have to finish up the space first. Hoping to be done with this necessary evil by the Super Bowl.
      Name:  garage7_sm.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  170.2 KB

Did a little work on the car this weekend:
      Name:  body_off.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  113.5 KB
      Name:  garage12_sm.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  417.2 KB
      Had no idea what I was going to find but I always thought the frame was solid from the parts I could get to. There are horror stories out there of rusted through body mount holes, etc. I had to cut into the trunk pan for two of the cage nuts that were spinning and snapped one of those bolts anyway. Overall a fairly painless discovery process.
      There was even bright metal under some of the original paint:
      Name:  frame_section.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  98.4 KB
      I really struggled with how to coordinate the paint shop with me having the frame at the same time but finally decided it was probably more trouble than it was worth and would end in disaster anyway. The simpler plan is to finish the frame, set the body back down on it, and hand it over to be painted.
      Trying to assess what options there are to stiffen this thing somewhat and space looks pretty tight. After sandblasting, I may just settle for filling in the stitch welds and smoothing that one frame bump that would let me fit 305 tires in the back.

Progress continues...
      I opted to just order new SS brake lines as everything that's not OE already fits but it's down to a game of hurry up and wait. 4-6 weeks for those and then come up with a plan for fuel lines.
      I can't seem to make any headway on whether or not the steering is correct so I've located a few NOS pieces for sale that I can get measurements from. If the aftermarket stuff is the same I can just pass the NOS parts back along to someone building a factory restoration. Anxious to get the frame off for sand blasting but too busy to get the rest of the pieces off. The goal is this week and trailer it over to the facility on Monday.
      Still back and forth on FI for this car. I make fuel injectors so I want to get it on the car. In fact we make the fuel injectors Holley uses for their multi-port systems, I just don't know if the extra cost is justifiable over the simplicity of throttle body injection. Probably will be a last minute decision.
      Name:  garage13sm.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  438.3 KB

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com