Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Love this built. I really want to do a 70 Impala...

Please post a lot of detail because we love it around here. I'd love to see more of the plastic repair.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Fixing the gas gauge led to a complete R&R of the entire instrument cluster. I decided to put in a tach where the clock blank off plate was. Very happy with the results. Also found NOS switches for the AC and generally repaired or replaced any electrical components. Hopefully I'll get another 45 years out of these controls.
      Attachment 108154
      The goal this year is a daily driver with no issues but with the dash out of the way I can move on to more interesting things like new control arms and brakes. Kore 3 is producing a small run of hubs so I'll be able to use their C6 kit on the front and SSBC for 12" rear discs while keeping a parking brake.
      you ever look into the Dakota digital dash ? I was looking into these theres 2 different styles

Quote Originally Posted by dgrown View Post
      you ever look into the Dakota digital dash ? I was looking into these theres 2 different styles
      I did and I think the analog set is a great option. For this year, I wanted to get some basic upgrades like brakes and generally get a feel for the car while I drive it around for the summer. I'm keeping an eye out for a used rotisserie to pull the body next winter and work on the frame.

Just having the tach in where the clock blank off was makes the car more interesting to drive, plus I was able to do my first burn out in it yesterday.

I talked to cpp for my brakes and used the 2" drop spindles as well if ya need any pictures or pointers that's the side ive done

Need some help with the rear disc brake kit...

I'm partway through getting the rear disc kit installed from SSBC and it's turning into a chore. The brackets were wrong and hand to be hand fitted. Now I'm here:
      Name:  IMG_1845.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  111.8 KB
      So my question is, since I really want this on the road for the summer, is what are my options to correct the caliper spacing? As of now, the rotor just touches the caliper when installed.

Could be the angle of the picture, but is the caliper mounting bolt hitting the rotor?

Quote Originally Posted by stevemaxx View Post
      Could be the angle of the picture, but is the caliper mounting bolt hitting the rotor?
      Well yes but there were other issues I took up separately in the Brakes Forum.

I still don't know the real root cause, possibly a mismatched housing/carrier series, but basically both rear axles are shifted about 2mm to the right. (sorry about the metric units, I'm an automotive engineer and just can't go back to inches). At first I had only fitted up one side and thought the SSBC bracket spacing was off because I would not have been able to move the driver side caliper toward the differential, which is what it needed. After a couple of calls to SSBC, I lucked out and got the engineering manager. He assured me they would fix it and followed through with everything. They ended up machining the clearance I needed on another set of caliper carriers and sent them to me. For the passenger side, I had to shim the caliper away from the differential by the same amount to get my rotors centered and SSBC had also included some shim washers that got me where I needed to be.
      I finally had time to get back to it this weekend and everything on the rear seems to be fitted up and what I need to continue. Not super happy with the brake line routing but I can live with it for the summer and do something cleaner when I pull it apart this winter.
      Here's where I am, please comment if anything looks out of place.
      Name:  disc_1.JPG
Views: 1579
Size:  202.3 KBName:  disc_2.JPG
Views: 1568
Size:  265.5 KBName:  disc_3.JPG
Views: 1544
Size:  203.7 KB

I could also have pointed out that what motivated me to get started on this before the gas tank was a catastrophic failure. As I was pulling into the parking lot at work from lunch, a rear wheel stud failed, then a second one broke, then 3 more stripped off their threads all at the same time. The rear wheel followed.
      Fortunately I was not on the interstate and doing only about 5 miles an hour so I had a very Hollywood moment and the rear driver's side just dropped and dragged about 5 feet. Everything happened so fast I actually recovered 4 out of 5 lug nuts and 1 broken stud about 6 feet behind the car. Flatbed home.

Those wheel studs you see in the picture are new grade 8 ones that are 1/2" longer. Hopefully my new Kore3 hubs will be done before I have to install new one in the front.

New parts! Trying to keep moving on the brakes so I can get it back on the ground.
      Name:  wilwood.JPG
Views: 1506
Size:  279.9 KB

Killer ride and garage!
      Justin Novick
      Sales/Support
      Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
      "The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods"

www.EntropyRad.com www.SpeedCooling.com

More new parts. I hated the excess brake line and old rubber hose for the rear assembly so I got Cline Hose and Hydraulic in Greenville SC to fabricate a replacement.

I feel bad installing shiny new stuff on a rear diff that also needs to be pulled out and painted but it will keep driving through the summer.Name:  rear_brk_lines.JPG
Views: 1470
Size:  272.5 KB

I have brakes again!

Finally got some time to finish up the nasty part of this - bleeding brakes. I hadn't bent and flared my own brake lines in years and decided to try the NiCopp lines suggested by others on the forum. Easy and formed like butter plus nothing leaked. I could not have asked for it to go easier.
      Did away entirely with the GM prop valve and distribution block. Here's where I ended up before bleeding the MC:
      Name:  MC_installed2.JPG
Views: 1439
Size:  300.4 KB

Rear calipers lined up and working properly:
      Name:  rear_caliper.JPG
Views: 1414
Size:  326.8 KB

I now have one of the few 69 Impalas with 4 wheel disc brakes. Still waiting on the Kore3 hubs for bigger front discs but it is already much improved.

Emergency brake linkage wasn't quite right - I opted to fabricate a new pivot member rather than order a custom length cable.

Now it goes back up on the stands for new control arms.

Progress continues:
      Old control arms out.
      Name:  L_A_arm.JPG
Views: 1419
Size:  411.2 KB
      Name:  R_A_arm.JPG
Views: 1402
Size:  555.8 KB

Tubular arms are mostly in - I stopped at getting the last coil spring seated and constrained. Didn't want to leave that bomb sitting for longer than I had to. Surprised at the available adjustment I have in this suspension - it borrowed from both trucks and Corvettes of the era.

Also had a long list of parts to buy that I didn't consider. Shocks were blown, may as well do the tie rod ends to get a decent alignment, strut rod end bushings squashed, sway bar end links ... This simple front disc swap, which I still do not have hubs for, has magically transformed into a $2000 job with me doing the labor. Just to get it back to driver status for a few months.

One thing I did find while looking for parts is Global West's spherical rod end conversion kit for my existing strut rods. I like the concept but think that is something I can fabricate for myself rather than buy theirs. Maybe someone can chime in with an opinion on eliminating the bushing pivot in favor of a fixed pivot?

If you lower the rear of the car. Will that caliper hit the frame rail?

Quote Originally Posted by IMPALAMAN1 View Post
      If you lower the rear of the car. Will that caliper hit the frame rail?
      Nope.

No plans to drop more than 2" though.

Finally got away to work on this thing again. Had to wait a week on some bolts and then just couldn't figure out the brake bracket mounting.

Tobin was kind enough to re-forward the email he sent me with directions...

I fought and resisted changing the spindles from stock to get big brakes on this car and then gave in after I realized I did want to drop it some.

2" CPP drop spindles and Kore3's 13" C6 brake kit. Will hopefully get it bolted up this weekend and try it out.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Still working on brakes...

With the test fit over, I'm torquing and double checking fasteners. Brakes and all, I don't want to miss something in here. The Kore3 parts and instructions are up there with the best I've seen. No trouble so far.
      Name:  spindle.JPG
Views: 1321
Size:  250.7 KB
      Couple of things that came up: The steering arm and lower control arm had some slight interference. I had to massage both with an angle grinder to get them to play nice. Also, the Moog lower ball joints came with a front side bolt that is intended to function as a steering stop. I had to replace it as I actually lost turning radius by using it. Never would have noticed if I had let someone else install it.
      Name:  steering_stop.JPG
Views: 1317
Size:  126.1 KB

Ok so the front brakes are done. They work and I took the car out for a drive. Now I'm here:
      Name:  engine_out2_tiny.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  527.2 KB
      Ostensibly, this is to replace the rear main seal and clean up the engine bay but I found a few things.
      For instance, why would someone feel the need to install a dozen or so engine to body ground wires?

The front end took a passenger side hit many years ago but it looks like the replaced the fender with another (the base coat was green) and the radiator support was unbent. It was ok but I happened to see an NOS radiator support on Ebay so I bought it. Wiring is still intact so I can clean up connections and get some headlight relays in. Passenger wheel well under the battery has the usual corrosion and I lost a through hole to rust. I will be able to try my hand at sheet metal repair. Failing that, I can still find a solid Arizona part.

More interesting, I think, is now I'll have an easy time laying out the suspension and moving it over to CAD. One of the goals on this car is some intermediate suspension refinement and having everything digitized will allow me to hand over the data to people more knowledgeable about it than me.

As a side note, I'm getting a cup holder!

Having a machinist and a CNC mill around is a perk. The interior is far from done but this will be a nice custom piece to have sitting in the original console.

Name:  console3.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  columnA.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  96.7 KB

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com