Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69 Camaro no spark

Car was fine, starting fine etc etc. Some minor starter kick backs here and there. Then one day it stopped firing. Starter turns over and that's it. So I thought the MSD box went bad. And it begins...

So now was a good time to swap it out to the 6al-2 programmable and an MSD 85551 distributor and rewire it all. Nothing...

So I thought maybe the box was bad out of the box, so I tried another one, same thing. The thing I did notice was when I pull the pick up harness off the distributor the LED on the box would light up (it should be lit , when switch 12v is applied). Plug in the pickup harness it would go out.

Long story short after trying three coils, two 6530 boxes, wiring it straight to the battery , changing the switched 12v wire over and over again, checking TDC setup and everything else under the sun, it still wont spark.

Changed the plugs, switched back to a basic ready to run distributor (brand new one too) and I still cant get it to fire.

OK so what stupid thing am I missing here? I even went so far as to put a new battery in it (desperate!!).

Previously running I had a digital e-curve distributor with a 6421 box and that was running great for about a year or so.

What in the world would stop this from firing!! New everything all new wires, direct to fusebox and battery, theres no excuse. I don't get it.

Engine is a 540 bbc, t-56 trans, starter is new, alternator is new. Everything is new within a year or two.

Country Flag: United States
      Are you positive the plugs aren't firing? How did you determine no spark? Have a volt meter? Did you check for 12 v to coil? Did you run a jumper from battery + to coil ? Did you follow MSD directions to jump box to ground to test it? Are you positive you're getting fuel?

Did all that, trust me I did it all. In the end I pulled everything and put a basic ready to run 8360 in with a blaster 2 coil and checked switch 12v at the coil and it had power. So im stumped. Reset the distributor thinking it was 180 out still no even a sputter.

Check to see if the engine is grounded properly. Should be grounded to the battery negative and/or chassis.

did you check the rotor to make sure it spins as you carnk the engine over? kick backs have a way of breaking things.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com