Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: Canada
      i'm the voice of reason in our house, my girlfriend scans the internet for cars for sale as we watch tv. i can't possibly build all the cars she wants. we have several project cars parked out back waiting to be built. she currently drives a 64 coupe deville as her personal cruiser.

Country Flag: United States

Are you “Car Crazy”?

I can relate to this one guys.......I’ve been called many names in my lifetime but most folks would say that I am “Car Crazy”! Over the years I have found others out there who are like me and sometimes they don’t even know it. If you are worried that you may have this disease, let me give you some of the major symptoms. It usually starts with the eyes; you are always looking for a sweet ride everywhere you go……your eyes are drawn to any hot rod or custom vehicle with a shiny new paint job. You seem to be able to spot car shows and local cruise-ins from almost any distance. Your wife will usually be able to tell you are suffering from this disease even before you know you have it.

If your symptoms have gotten worse, then you may already be suffering from the next step in the progression of being Car Crazy. You will begin to plan family outings or even weekend trips around where you secretly know there is a car show…….after you arrive at your destination, your wife says, “hey there sure are a lot of old classic cars and hot rods here in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge this weekend, are you sure the big car show is not this weekend?” To which you say…..”I have no idea. That would be cool if it was”. Another thing you begin to do is to ignore the family calendar of events and activities and then when your wife or girlfriend says, “don’t forget we have a wedding to go to this weekend”, you reply, “but honey you know I have been planning my trip with the guys at the big car show this weekend”……That one never ends well...

Read the rest of the story here: http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/sh...#axzz2RFcNzJ9L
      Thanks, Joseph
      Check out my New Automotive Blog here:
      http://carsandcoffeetalk.blogspot.com/

LMAO!! I have two ex-wives, a 64 GTO, 68 Camaro and 68 Chevelle convertible. I guess I wasn't good at explaining it, but I kept the cars and not the wives. LOL!!!!!
      Jason - 1968 Camaro and 1968 Chevelle Convertible

Let me tell you a story about women..

John Smith (yes made up name), died on sunny afternoon. He had lived a very good, well mannered life, and as he approached the Pearly Gates, Peter came running out to greet him.
      "John", said Peter, "we're glad to see you, obviously not the best of times, but glad to see you".
      John replied, " I had my life in order and was ok with this but just didn't want to go quite yet" Peter said, "John, God and I were talking about your situation, and since you've been such a model being, always doing what's right, putting others needs before your own etc, God has decided to give you a one year extension and send you back to earth, and we are going to put you back in the ambulance and let you live for one more year."
      John was startled at this new revelation, but was quite thankful.
      "In addition", St. Peter said, "He's going to give you one wish, you've always wished for, just name it and it's yours".
      After some thought, John said, " Well, I've always wanted to see Hawaii, but I am deathly afraid of airplanes, and I dare not set foot on a boat". "Do you think there's any way God could make a highway from the States to Hawaii"?
      St. Peter thought a moment and said, "Hold on, I'll go ask God".
      After a few minutes St. Peter came back and said. "God said that yes, he could do that, but with all the problems with building that much highway, all the people losing their jobs after it was done, the time it would take, he was wondering if there was something else he could do for you"?
      John said, "Well Peter, throughout all my life I've had one perplexing thought that I could never understand, as much as I've tried". "Do you think God could make it to where I could understand women"?
      Peter once again said he would ask God, and would be right back. After a while St. Peter came back and smiled and said, " God wants to know if you want that bridge in one lane or two"?

I thought it was funny...

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      And know i know why....... She is now looking at another house. Yea slighly out of our budget and she is not giving in to anything.
      Randy, well her plan worked out - you got a promotion and, I hope, better pay, and now your car is running!

I was into the cars long before I met my wife. She has always been supportive. She is also a Mechanical Engineer and has some appreciation for the machinery. Her philosophy is that 1) it makes me happy and she likes me to be happy, and 2) my "baby sitter" is in the garage, so she knows where I spend my extra time and money. A few years ago my oldest boy became interested in cars and she suggested we accelerate the car project so that the two of us can work on it together and he can learn to do things with his hands. No issues here...

I have a very supportive fiance' who likes that I have my own hobbies and supports all of them except snowboarding(she doesn't like the cold, or falling on her ass). She doesn't understand my efforts with my car but she supports it nonetheless. I also let her help when it comes to the interior and the paint schemes, this is enough interest to keep us both happy. She also doesn't ask how much I spend on the Camaro...She does however like to point out that she doesn't want to know how much I spend on the Camaro.. I suspect she does in fact know.

Now that we have bought our first home and are planning a wedding, she enjoys using the camaro against all of the expensive decisions that I think are BS.
      For these reasons, I need this M*********R built before that wedding and our accounts are linked!!!

After 40 plus years of being married I can only say to the newbies just starting out. Number one is its not what you tell your spouse you spent on your hobby. Its more about what she finds you really spent. There is family money and mad money
      if you can keep it separate what you spend doesn't matter. My wife will seldom ask what I spent on my hobbies as she has hers as well. IF you want a long marriage just remember "Happy Wife Happy Life'
      Ray

I don't have to since her passion became a coworker

Quote Originally Posted by shmoov69 View Post
      ^^^. True!! If you're not honest and open, you sure as heck can't expect her to be!! And it may not be "just a pair of shoes" that she lies about in return!! Well, I guess it could be a pair of shoes... A new pair of MEN'S shoes under the bed!!
      But really, if this is your hobby/life then you better get a woman that can appreciate and respect it as being that important to you. But be prepared to give in return.
      Hahaha... That's true! Really, lying never gets you anywhere. My wife just looked at the boxes that came in and tells people "I don't want to know" . But then I don't question when she spends money, which I'm lucky she's not high maintenance. Most of my Camaro money came from extra work I did too..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Always remember the first rule of marriage.

"It's easier to say I'm sorry than ask for permission"!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I like this one...
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Thread is 4 years old-

OP, are you still with your fiance? She still want a tri-five Chevy?

Get her a restored original. Not something with just nice paint and interior, make sure it is in GOOD ORIGINAL condition. She'll catch on if you try to slip her a ringer with junk underpinings. You are NOT trying to deceive her- you are trying to show her she looks at cars through rose colored glasses. Let her drive a 235 inch carbureted six with no air, vacuum wipers, and a 'Glide or three on the tree.

When she can't get it started because it's flooded on the manual choke. or can't see out the windshield when caught in the rain with the vacuum wipers, or sweats through a hot summer day, or has trouble with the six in 85 mph freeway traffic, you respond "I can fix that"

Most people don't realize the sea change in cars in the last 30 years or so. They don't realize a '50's car is as far removed from today's cars as a Model T was from the '50's cars. 10 years or so back my brother bought his daughter a really nice '81 Celica. She couldn't figure out how to reliably start the car- the concept of an automatic choke on a carb eluded her. When he loaned her his carbed 71 454 Monte Carlo as a wedding getaway car, her new husband (a nuclear engineer working out of Hanford in Washington, so no dummy) assumed he could mat the throttle on a cold engine and leave the church parking lot in a smoky haze, that the car would move out like an EFI car. Stumbled, but he was able to recover and the get out of the lot without too much more drama. Point is, only us old farts, and younger guys with an interest in cars really understand how much better most of today's cars are than the oldies we love.
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

I don't give much thought to the cost of whatever I'm looking to purchase. If I want it, I want it. I'm by no means rich but do OK, and will shop the price around. Love this hobby and all tha goes with it. It's one of the few hobbies where you can meet a complete stranger, strike up a conversation and talk for hours without a moments thought. It's not a profitable hobby but we aren't in it for the $$$.

As for my spouse and her involvement. She has about as much interest in old cars as she does watching paint dry. She will ask questions, all involving why i Need to buy X, Y and Z. I explain that its never about need, its all about the want. I do treat her well, she wants a new ring or bracelet. Ill buy it and her taste is Surf and Turf, not Ham and Cheese. I love her, she's worth it, so I don't mind.

What I do object to, is this crazy notion that if we (men) spent $$$ on the car. The spouse has thing crazy notion that somehow we have to spend the same amount on whatever they want as well. Are we expected to Double Down, constantly ? I don't think so. Fortunately this is not an issue in my home. She tried to convince me of this mystical logic years ago but I refused to buy into it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com