Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      I degreased, sanded, and painted the engine compartment before I put the engine in. The RA manifolds tuck in nice, while offering performance very similar to headers.

Country Flag: Canada
      Nice!

As of today, the engine is in, exhaust is on, everything is plumbed and wired. The car already had 2.5" dual exhaust with Flowmasters when I got it, so I'm going to roll with it for a while. It actually sounds pretty good!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqIcOE...ature=youtu.be

Here is a short clip of it running.

Today was the first time the car moved under its own power in a few years. It was nice to row through the gears again! The maiden voyage went well - no leaks or any other issues. The new clutch was a little grabby the first few times I let off, but seeemed to smooth out pretty quickly. My next step is definitely going to be suspension and brakes, then I'll buy tires for my rims.

It was so good to be back behind the wheel!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=-M1ywLGkZPs

Love the big goats. It was the end of an era.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Love the big goats. It was the end of an era.
      Thanks! These cars have always been the one I see in my mind when I hear GTO.

I’ve just been pecking away little by little when I have a little time here and there. I got the tail panel stripped and primed and polished the tail lights and bezels. I also installed the license plate. Like some other States, Alabama will allow you register a license plate vintage to the car. I think it’s a nice touch!

Ahhhhhhhhh..... The sounds of a Pontiac StratoStreak V8... does the heart good!!

Quote Originally Posted by PonchoJohn View Post
      Ahhhhhhhhh..... The sounds of a Pontiac StratoStreak V8... does the heart good!!
      Thanks! They do have their own sound!

I installed BMR 1” drop springs today. They really made the stance look much better! I drove it around a little today, on the 14” rollers, it’s hard to tell how good they’ll be. It did dramatically reduce the body roll, and seem to ride pretty good.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

I also bought a new passenger side fender and header panel. Those were only 2 pieces of sheet metal I didn’t want to reuse. They both had been damaged in a light collision of some sort and had been repaired (badly) years ago. Hopefully I can get them installed this week.

So I test fitted the AMD fender and Dynacorn header panel. The fender fit very well and looks great. It aligned perfectly and I’m very happy with the fit and finish of it. The header panel fit the car well and aligns well with the hood, but I had to tweak it get the grill molding to fit. Name:  AA572958-5A19-4C2A-9975-1CF0DC01133B.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  498.8 KBName:  BF33F6F4-0857-41BE-A7B2-666C8B0C0488.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  419.7 KB

Working on assembling the brakes. I hope to have them by this weekend.

It sounds great, Nice work.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      It sounds great, Nice work.
      Thank you! It’s finally along little by little. I got the spindles on today. I hope to have rotors, calipers, and brake lines on by this weekend.

dnd roller

The GTO is looking great, I may have missed it but what size tires are you planning for the rear?
      I was not aware they have a red wheel liner option, does that decrease tire clearance (inside the steel wheel tubs?)

1969 Camaro
      1964 Skylark w.i.p.
      1971 Chevelle w.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by tim222 View Post
      The GTO is looking great, I may have missed it but what size tires are you planning for the rear?
      I was not aware they have a red wheel liner option, does that decrease tire clearance (inside the steel wheel tubs?)
      I’m going with 275/40 17’s. The red inner liners are rare. I read that only 1344 of the 81,000+ GTO’s made in ‘68 got them. They are very thin plastic liners and fit pretty right on the metal inner fenderwells. I drove the car with them back when I first got the wheels and they fit OK. The tightest area I had is the inner fender lip. That part is pretty wide on these cars, so I may trim that area just a little.

Thats biggest reason I want to keep this car with the ability to look stock if I want it to. This car being a 400 HO, 4 speed, with factory A/C and having the red liners makes it very desirable.

The front brakes are done! They look pretty small with the 17’s but it stops so much better than it did with the drums.

Cool project! The plastic liners are to keep the rubber buildup from burnouts from sticking under the car and catching on fire.
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com