Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

R they really that Fast?

I DVR'd the two episode and watched them a couple of times each...Lets hear it...Are these imports really that fast? I have seen some of the muscles cars in live action and they are brutal machines. I don't see how a 500-600hp pro-touring car can't make it around the track quicker or in the straight away faster than a 255hp BMW or a 315hp WRX...I know the show can't blow the imports away or else there wouldn't be a show, but it's kind of disheartening to wonder.

Does that 1967 Camaro Supercharged LS3 really only make 500hp?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

They might be. My other toy is a completely stock (except it's cat deleted) 1987 Porsche 944 turbo. I've run a few C5 Vettes and whoever gets the jump wins. I can't pull away from them and they can't pull away from me. C6 Corvettes with a decent driver can get me pretty good though. Oh yeah, I won't mess with newer M5's anymore either!
      Matt H.

Lightness wins in the corners and braking. Plus a lot of muscle cars run monster rear tires and pretty small ones up front. They can take off like a stabbed rabbit but the fronts are what does the braking and turning, which is their downfall and where a decent import (or any car for that matter) shine. Road course races are won in the corners
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      Lightness wins in the corners and braking. Plus a lot of muscle cars run monster rear tires and pretty small ones up front. They can take off like a stabbed rabbit but the fronts are what does the braking and turning, which is their downfall and where a decent import (or any car for that matter) shine. Road course races are won in the corners
      I agree, but those muscle cars on the show are high dollar autocross cars. They all have larger tires on the front than I can fit in the back of my car. They were built for the road course. Not your typical 500 horse 69 camaro.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I often wondered this. And I think about it a lot now as I build and purchase parts for my car. Is it worth it to me? Or should I just go out and buy an import for a couple of pennies.

well, ok, a screamin 4 banger while fast, just doesnt sprout extra hairs on my chest like a throaty V8. So the choice was simple - but.........going fast. Thats my goal so...........

Its a circle for me.
      Project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ouring-Project
      IG - @tc_chevelle

Most of the loses by the red necks are due to talent issues,not the cars ability. Its kinda hard to beat a car that stays on the track while you do a golf course sand trap impersonation ,LOL. Another clue to watch is the average speeds . The fast cars are just going as fast as they need to to win. Finch averaged 89mph in the last race, while the boss stang averaged 94 in the first episode. Both cars were fast "enough" to win their race. I maybe wrong ,but I dont think Rattlers "boss" would have the power and handling it would take to run 5 mph faster around the course than Finches very well sorted out second gen.
      As far as the beautiful orange first gen, I think the HP # has to be at the wheels on very mild boost. 7-8 lbs of boost would make 500+ at the wheels. Just as an example the LS3 in my 72 Camaro is good for 530HP at the flywheel with just an intake ,mild cam and good exhaust NA. That comes out to low 400s at the tire patch. The killer on the orange first gen is 3900lbs. How in the heck do you make a first gen that heavy?

I was just thinking about this, this morning. Good points about the avg speed but to me the races are won in the initial straightaway with sheer muscle power. Get out front and stay there. The import cant come around unless you make a mistake. I think the story would be different if the cars race side by side on identical race courses. I cant find a link for it but I've seen euro races in stadiums where they race mirror image mini road courses side by side. THAT would be cool.
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

Yes, the little cars go too. As much as I like muscle cars, my daily driver is a Mini Cooper JCW with a bigger intercooler and ECU reflash. Peak torque is 300ft/lbs in a 2700lb car. It doesn't drag race but be very afraid on the highway.

In all honesty, it looked like Finch was sanbagging alot in the race against the WRX. Maybe, as stated, he was just going fast enough to win, and make it "look" competitive.

Of course, I have alot of respect for the AWD cars like the WRXs and EVOs. Those AWD systems are setup for all out grip in corners.
      Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

I can see built imports being very competitive...but there should not even be a comparison when racing a 225 horse stock BMW? The 600+ pro-touring car should have the power to zoom past, slow at the corners, and mash the gas and go...

Like mentioned, now I'm like WTF? Is all this money for 500hp LS and $10K suspensions a waste when a $4500 used BMr will kick your azz?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Like mentioned, now I'm like WTF? Is all this money for 500hp LS and $10K suspensions a waste when a $4500 used BMr will kick your azz?
      It's not always about how fast you get there, you've got to look good too
      A few years ago I had a job which required a good amount of regional travel. Due to that I picked up a VW GTI to DD. It handles like it's on rails and isn't embarrassing on the straights. I've been quite impressed with that little 1.8 Turbo.
      There are some absolutely quick modern cars out there. Given 40+ years of technological advances that's to be expected. To me this is about taking my favorite car and making it the best it can be.

R they really that Fast?

Hi,

I have a 250+ hp Audi a3 sportback and it is fast and great in handling. Almost beat a S4 once, but he had better cornering. Mine slipped a bit.

BUT i also have a 65 fastback with 700+ hp. The cornering and manual shifting (tko 600) is not as good as the Audi, but driving the audi after the mustang makes the Audi look like a pedal car ;-)

Now the mustang has a cage, so it might outperform the Audi A3. Newer Lambo and Ferrari kind of cars Will always be better due to good research and Total balance.

A friend of mine has a Ferrari f355, he drove with me and is very afraid of the stang. It beats his Ferrari in every way. His car shifts slow and heavy, and twists it tail easy in the corner but hard to correct. But his cars feels safer to drive, my mustang instantly impress by hearing the engine.

It really depends on how the track is set up. Every car has its own preferences.

Compare an exotic import with a ford gt, should be plenty YouTube material ;-)

Country Flag: Canada
      Also, realize there is a whole tuner culture out there that is just as much into building their cars as we are into ours but I'm sure you already know this. I'm stating this because I use to work for a Japanese manufacturer and had the good luck to drive a factory one off performance car as my demo and all I can tell you is WOW it was incredible. Sometimes those plain looking imports are not so plain, so don't under estimate them. Hell, look what a stock Nissan GTR will do to most cars or what a tuner with a 20 year old Skyline will do. I got to drive an old Skyline and I was shocked as it accelerated well past 120 mph in the blink of an eye. Just YouTube Nissan Skyline and you'll see what I'm talking about.
      Todd
      '14 ZL1, 6 speed and 6.2L of Super Charged Awesome!
      '67 Camaro SS in process. A long, slow, expensive trip...

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ject-Obsession

I frequent our local track LimeRock Park quite a bit on race days and track days. I have seen hundreds of different types of cars run there. It is surprising how close many lap times really are. I have also seen mighty 427 ac cobras get spanked by prepared Mazda Miata's. There is the reason for class rules and modifications. I happen to like 2nd gen camaro's and dont like to see anyone passing one, lol. But someone is always faster or better prepared. That show R U faster Than a Redneck, I think it's great, I really enjoy it.

Country Flag: Austria
      wouldnīt it be bad if there was no improvement over the last 40years in the car industry? i was doing some street races on mountain roads with my camaro last year competing against a tuned golf GTI with around 350HP and even a guy on a supermoto bike. i spanked the GTI and even the guy on the supermoto had work to do to Keep up but why...there were Long straightways where my 540 just smoked them. but on the other side i have a realy curvy mountain road where i drive all the time and i compared average Speeds and top Speeds to my bmw 4wheel drive touring (Station wagon, tuned to 300diesel HP, M-Performance Suspension on 19" Performance tires) and iīm always 10-15mph slower than with my beemer just because i can brake later and the Thing goes around corners like on rails. but the Thing is that this is on dry roads, when things go wet i pee myself in my camaro driving like a grandma because it getīs so unpredictable and in the beemer i just hit the pedal and same on snow in wintertime. i had the same thoughts like badazz81z28 before when i was driving to Germany with my Buddy and his 71 ranchero before when we got smoked by a grandpa in his 2.7liter Mercedes diesel going 70mph and accelerating so what the f..... is this 500HP rated Ford crate engine doing in the compartement????? ok thatīs all not on a track but it getīs down to the same Point never be dissapointed by Tuning a 40year old car and then just be able to Keep up with a new one but i think thatīs just what i is.
      69 camaro, 418cui p1sc1, ridetech,forgeline, and some more money wasted

Question is which one makes better TV, Just fast enough or never see the two cars in the same frame from the drop of the green?

Maybe by the end of the series that question will be answered,,,until then I am not telling
      Brian Finch
      Pro-touring Hero

The Proof is on the Pavement

Sponsored by Baer Brakes, JRI Shocks, Pennzoil, Tremec, Magnaflow, Centerforce, AFCO Racing, Kurt Urban Performance, Amercian Powertrain, Forgeline, Holley, and of course BFG.

For the best engine money can buy please visit http://www.kurturbanperformance.com/

Authorized dealer for Baer, Ridetech, Detroit Speed, Vintage Air, Motorstate Distributing, Wilwood Engineering, American Autowire, Forgeline, Holley, Afco,

Contact brian@finchperformance for special Pro-Touring.com member pricing

www.hotrodtransformations.com

So my question to you is, how close is the new Boss to the Finch Monster?

All I know is that my 165 HP 1988 BMW 325is on 185's held the road nearly as well as the C5 I used to drive. Given a little more tire, it would be a real match for the C5 on a tight course or twisty road.

Don't underestimate the benefit of a lightweight well balanced car.

However, big motored cars are much more enjoyable to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
      Question is which one makes better TV, Just fast enough or never see the two cars in the same frame from the drop of the green?

Maybe by the end of the series that question will be answered,,,until then I am not telling
      I will be anxiously waiting. ;)
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Country Flag: Canada
      Just saw a picture of a really hot looking Nissan GTR of the FB page. Is that car really going to go against a PT car? because that would be a killer race.
      Todd
      '14 ZL1, 6 speed and 6.2L of Super Charged Awesome!
      '67 Camaro SS in process. A long, slow, expensive trip...

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ject-Obsession

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com