Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

64 Pontiac Tempest build

Several people have requested, so it's time to start documenting my project. I got bitten by this pro-tour bug several years ago. I'm gonna blame Bill Howell for this !! He will never remember it, but I met him years ago at the Shades of the Past in Pigeon Forge in his '65 GTO vert and was just floored by that car. He told me about RTTH and I went up and watched a couple of years. Then I got my feet wet the last 2 years with my '70 Formula at a couple of the local events. I"ve had so much fun that I want to go a little farther now, but I've been looking for the "right" car for awhile now. I love GM A-Body's, had a '66 SS396 and another '65 Lemans in recent years, but I've REALLY wanted a '64 Tempest post for quite some time. I like the post cars because the windows seal up nicely and they feel tighter to me.

Back in December '12, I finally found a nice rust free southern car. It had lived in south Georgia (Waycross) it's whole life with only one lady owner until just recently and was garaged it's entire life. The car still had it's original paint when sold by the family and brought up near Atlanta in '11. Originally it was a Tempest Custom w/ a 326 AT on the column with PS, PB, and AC. The car changed hands twice before I got it. The second/third owners stripped the car to bare metal and repainted it, polished all the trim, rebuilt the 10 bolt w/ an Eaton 4:10 posi, installed a fresh '66 389 with tri-power and a 700R4 trans. The body is amazing, NO RUST ever and straight as an arrow. The interior is all original except for the front bench getting recovered sometime during it's life. Here's a shot of it before the teardown started.

Anybody need any '64 parts

Name:  DSCF2860.jpg
Views: 9714
Size:  317.8 KBName:  DSCF2861.jpg
Views: 4216
Size:  333.1 KBName:  IMG_0873.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  258.8 KBName:  IMG_1075.jpg
Views: 2975
Size:  306.2 KBName:  IMG_1076.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  243.3 KB

My plans are for a modest budget pro-touring car that is reliable, gets decent fuel economy, can be driven anywhere, will haul my family and our gear, and handles as good as I can afford a '64 Pontiac to handle.
      David

Current rides:
      1970 Firebird FORMULA 400
      1964 Pontiac Tempest
      1986 Mustang LX 5.0 coupe

Here's where I'm headed..........I bought a wrecked 2002 TransAm WS6 with good miles, LS1 w/ AT trans. Bought it from Bruce Hawkins, owner of Hawks 3rd gen here in Easley, SC. They specialize in F-Body's, so if you have any needs for LS parts (new or used), give Bruce a call. He's a great guy to deal with and helped me alot. Bruce also hooked me up with all my performance parts for the engine/trans combo, including cam, valvetrain, oil pump, torque converter, trans shift kit and cooler. Here's a link and some pics:

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/

Name:  $(KGrHqV,!o0FCyM2c!LcBQ)43mbv)g~~60_57.jpg
Views: 2915
Size:  431.2 KBName:  IMG_1585__72392_zoom.jpg
Views: 2879
Size:  287.9 KBName:  IMG_1586__13353_zoom.jpg
Views: 3044
Size:  342.1 KB
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

I pulled the LS1 drivetrain out last weekend, and also pulled all the drivetrain out of the Tempest. I was able to sell the 398 tri-power engine pretty quick to a guy who is building a '66 GTO, so that worked out great. Got almost as much for it as I paid for the whole donor car !

The '64 drivetrain has less than 1000 miles since everything was new or rebuilt.

I will be selling the new MadDog 700R4, the headers, exhaust system, wheels/tires, fresh Eaton posi 4:10 10 bolt rear, tranny adapter plate, and all other stock drivetrain/suspension items I pull.

Name:  DSCF2862.jpg
Views: 2897
Size:  169.7 KBName:  DSCF2864.jpg
Views: 2980
Size:  177.3 KBName:  DSCF2865.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  189.0 KBName:  DSCF2867.jpg
Views: 2813
Size:  208.6 KBName:  DSCF2919.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  178.9 KB
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

In the last 2 weeks, I've listed my plan and started ordering parts.

I want to thank Marcus at SC&C for all the help last week. After talking with him for almost 3 hours (that's customer support !), I ordered the SC&C AFX Performance Suspension Package and the Baer 13" GT front brake system. The 13" GT package should compliment my LS1 rear brake system good.

Also ordered :
      ABC Performance frame boxing kit
      Quick Performance 9" housing/axle package for 64 A-Body's
      New stock fuel tank. This will get modded for a Tanks Inc pump I bought last year.
      YANK Stealth 2800 stall converter for the 4L60E
      TransGo HD2 kit
      B&M tranny cooler 70264
      Comp Cams 228R cam
      PAC valvesprings
      TFS pushrods
      GMPP oil pump
      LS2 timing chain
      misc gaskets
      ARP crank bolt
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

subscribing to this one. I hope to see this one in person!

The '64 Pontiac A-body is my favorite of all the GM A-bodies (although the '64 Olds are a close second - *cough*, Sparky, *cough*). I will be eagerly watching this one progess!!

I don't recall that being the stock rear view mirror location, though. Any backstory to that one?

yeah yeah, I know, shouldn't have sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by gardnerme View Post
      I don't recall that being the stock rear view mirror location, though. Any backstory to that one?
      That was a factory remote mirror option I have been told. I will move it to the fender when I pull the front sheetmetal later this evening. It will require some paintwork, but I don't care for it on the fender.
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

Long lonesome highway E. of Omaha (SW Iowa)
      The donor car doesnt even look that bad. I dont see any speed parts on the engine, but Id be a little leery seeing the DRs on it. Im more of a Ford guy, but I do like the early Tempests like this. What are the plans for the suspension, if any?

Love the build. In my opinion the 64 Tempest is the most beautiful A Body ever built. Sell the remote mirror. They are rare and someone will pay good money for it. I have a 64 Tempest conv. I built it in 2001/02 in a Pro Touring style. I built a 421 Tri Power for it, but if I were doing it today I would be on the same path as you. And please don't rebadge that Tempest as a GTO. My license plate reads INOTAGTO. If I can be any help send a PM. UOTE=damannhw;973708]That was a factory remote mirror option I have been told. I will move it to the fender when I pull the front sheetmetal later this evening. It will require some paintwork, but I don't care for it on the fender.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for starting the build thread David. Looking forward to following along.
      Tom

Decurion
      The donor car doesnt even look that bad. I dont see any speed parts on the engine, but Id be a little leery seeing the DRs on it. Im more of a Ford guy, but I do like the early Tempests like this. What are the plans for the suspension, if any?
      It's worse than it looks, it buckled the floor pan pretty good, but it still runs and drives,........ or it did.

Mike Holleman
      Love the build. In my opinion the 64 Tempest is the most beautiful A Body ever built. Sell the remote mirror. They are rare and someone will pay good money for it. I have a 64 Tempest conv. I built it in 2001/02 in a Pro Touring style. I built a 421 Tri Power for it, but if I were doing it today I would be on the same path as you. And please don't rebadge that Tempest as a GTO. My license plate reads INOTAGTO. If I can be any help send a PM.

Thanks Mike, I agree, and it will be staying a Tempest. Looked far too long for it. I appreciate your offer for help, and after seeing how fast you went around me at Kershaw last year, you know how to build one right !

tommycomfort
      Thanks for starting the build thread David. Looking forward to following along.
      Tom
      Thanks, your build threads have helped me ALOT already !
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

LS1 comes out

These shots are from last weekend, but thought I would post them up. Went down to my Dad's and pulled the LS engine on his lift. The car is getting down to just the bare bones now, poor T/A.

Name:  DSCF2926.jpg
Views: 2633
Size:  116.4 KBName:  DSCF2928.jpg
Views: 2722
Size:  199.9 KB

And did I mention it started snowing on the way home !

Name:  DSCF2932.jpg
Views: 2767
Size:  319.4 KB

I was off work today, so I was able to get alot down last night and today. Pulled the front clip, and everything under the car so I could start getting the frame ready to come out. I'm really happy with this car, ALL the body bolts came out w/ no issues, and all were nice and dry. The only rust I've found is the battery tray, and I have a new one for it already. Just an incredibly solid car !

Name:  DSCF2937.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  204.5 KBName:  DSCF2938.jpg
Views: 2604
Size:  188.2 KBName:  DSCF2939.jpg
Views: 2817
Size:  200.5 KBName:  DSCF2940.jpg
Views: 2672
Size:  226.3 KBName:  DSCF2943.jpg
Views: 2765
Size:  301.3 KB
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

Test fitting the LS1

I decided to bolt up my homemade LS adapter plates and new motor mounts to the engine and test fit it in the car w/ the Camaro oil pan just to see how it looked. I also replaced the Pontic engine stands w/ Chevelle smallblock stands.

Name:  DSCF2949.jpg
Views: 2987
Size:  151.5 KBName:  DSCF2952.jpg
Views: 2935
Size:  101.5 KB

NO dice, the dropped portion of this pan is too long to clear the crossmember, so I'll be looking at other options.

Had a little help today too from my oldest son. Gotta train them young, he already hates imports, so I'm doing well

I also snapped a couple of pictures of the paint out in the sun to show the true color. Will try to get frame out tomorrow.

Name:  DSCF2944.jpg
Views: 2785
Size:  200.6 KBName:  DSCF2945.jpg
Views: 2548
Size:  209.5 KBName:  DSCF2959.jpg
Views: 2574
Size:  181.8 KBName:  DSCF2961.jpg
Views: 2738
Size:  182.3 KB
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

Hey Dave,

What are you doing with the bucket seats in the T/A? I would be interested in them if you are looking to make some dough off the carcass...

TC

Excellent helper and a real serious look! Wish I had a couple more in the pipeline to help out around the house and shop. Maybe I could clone Sam...

Quote Originally Posted by Tango68SS View Post
      Hey Dave,

What are you doing with the bucket seats in the T/A? I would be interested in them if you are looking to make some dough off the carcass...

TC
      I haven't decided yet. I am on the fence between just recovering and using them, or maybe going wit something more period correct like a early 70's A-Body w/ headrest and just add some bolstering. I'll keep you in mind if I let them go.

You other A-Body guys - which oil pan do you like best ? I'm looking right now at Autokraft, Mast, or a S&P modififed F-Body. The modified pan scares me because S&P removes the oil baffles. The Mast is sweet, but pricey @ $500 + another $100 in additional parts and shipping. The Autokraft looks good, but I'm worried about starter clearance with those batwing sides it has.
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by damannhw View Post
      I haven't decided yet. I am on the fence between just recovering and using them, or maybe going wit something more period correct like a early 70's A-Body w/ headrest and just add some bolstering. I'll keep you in mind if I let them go.

You other A-Body guys - which oil pan do you like best ? I'm looking right now at Autokraft, Mast, or a S&P modififed F-Body. The modified pan scares me because S&P removes the oil baffles. The Mast is sweet, but pricey @ $500 + another $100 in additional parts and shipping. The Autokraft looks good, but I'm worried about starter clearance with those batwing sides it has.

I just went through the same seat decision for my GTO. I wanted stock looking or at least vintage looking and the seat had to fit my large frame. I tried the Procars but the fit wast even close. I decided on taking a plunge and trying a set of Legendary auto interior's new stock style bolstered bucket foam's/covers for my stock 67' GTO buckets. I should get the products in the mail tomorrow and have them done/installed by April. Anyhow if they turn out cool and its something youre interested in let me know and Ill post up a couple pics.
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Quote Originally Posted by damannhw View Post
      I started with the Mast pan and have no complaints other than the tie rods contacting it every so slightly at full lock. We've now switched to an F-body pan with the drop in "Improved Racing" baffles. Ours would have needed to be modified also if we hadn't decided to cut the crossmember instead. I've heard a lot of folks talk about the structural effects of a cast aluminum pan compared to a fabbed aluminum or steel one but couldn't comment one way or another on that. I do like the fact that the F-body pan bolts to the bellhousing also. Just my $.02

Last week I was able to work on the car some more. Pulled the frame, stripped it bare and pressure washed it. Also pressure washed the bottom of the car. The undercarriage looks great - ZERO RUST !! It was factory undercoated though, so I think I'll just paint it chassis black right over the coating. Not really energetic enough to strip that stuff after it's been there 50 years.

Name:  DSCF2962.jpg
Views: 2770
Size:  230.6 KBName:  DSCF2963.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  210.0 KBName:  DSCF2972.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  201.6 KB
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest