Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Quote Originally Posted by damannhw View Post
      That's good information to know about the spacers. I installed my springs w/ no spacers and was going to see how it sat when put back together. Maybe I should stick those spacers back in now !
      If I had to make a judgement call based on my experience I would say absolutely do.

-Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Country Flag: United States

'15 updates finally

Wow, been over a year since I last updated !! It's been a busy year and the car has been on the backburner. We spent last summer and fall preparing our house to sell, and then put it on the market early this year. It is now under contract and we are packing for a move soon. Unfortunately I broke my wrist last week and am having surgery to repair it this week, so that should really complicate the whole moving experience !!

Enough excuses though, I have done a little bit. The Autokraft pan that I bought would not fit without major clearance issues. I ended up selling it here and buying the new Holley retro fit additional front clearance pan (p/n 302-2) and the baffle kit. I'll report that it fits great, quality is excellent, and structurally it maintains all the same bolt & support locations as did the OEM pan !!

I used Stokers Rod Shop adjustable LS swap plates and a set of Prothane motor mounts utilizing the spacer/support plate that's included.

David

Current rides:
      1970 Firebird FORMULA 400
      1964 Pontiac Tempest
      1986 Mustang LX 5.0 coupe

One more Holley pan shot :

I welded in the later model Chevelle mounting plates and added a couple of bolts as well.

And then set the engine/tranny in. This took numerous fittings to get it exactly where I wanted, and I very liberally massaged the front of the trans tunnel to fit the 4l60E.

Final placement has the engine back within 1 1/2 inches of the firewall. I also have good clearance on the cross-member and the tie rod ends.

David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

I am very happy to report that I can install the engine & trans together now. Could not do this with the old pan. Also I was able to re-use the factory F-Body trans cooling lines with no interference issues. I will however have to purchase the new Holley accessory drive relocation brackets. No way the alternator or compressor will clear sitting this far back and down. Driveline angles are also looking very good at this point.

With an upcoming move, and I will be building a new garage, there may not be much to report for another long while, but it's still here and progressing when I find time....and $$ ! I plan to re-install the front clip this week so it will be easier to move.
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

Really glad I stumbled across your build. I'm doing very similar things to my 64 Lemans - even have the Quick Performance rear end. After a coin toss, I decided to use the GMPP accessory drive instead of the Holley, but I am using the Holley oil pan. I was really hoping to see what you were going to use for headers as I need to make a decision on that soon. Do you have any pix of how much you had to massage the firewall to get the trans in?
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
      Really glad I stumbled across your build. I'm doing very similar things to my 64 Lemans - even have the Quick Performance rear end. After a coin toss, I decided to use the GMPP accessory drive instead of the Holley, but I am using the Holley oil pan. I was really hoping to see what you were going to use for headers as I need to make a decision on that soon. Do you have any pix of how much you had to massage the firewall to get the trans in?
      Thanks Steve,

Glad to hear of another Pontiac being done ! I haven't finalized headers yet, as my car went into storage last week until my move is complete and the new shop is built :( I'll take a look at that GMPP drive too before I buy. No pics of the trans tunnel, but if you liberally massage the initial opening area for about a 1/2" gain that should work. I had to test fit mine several times for clearance, but I'm also back pretty close to the firewall.
      David

Current rides:
      1964 Pontiac Tempest

I bought a set of Doug Thorley LS full length headers for a 66 Buick Skylark I did, wound up using a set of stainless shorties which worked OK. Then when I found this Lemans I thought maybe they would work on it, but no such luck. If I run across something decent, I'll let you know.

Good luck with the move and all that!
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Anything ever happen with this Tempest?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com