Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Country Flag: United States
    It's been a long time since I've posted any updates, mostly because the Chevelle hasn't needed any changes. It's awesome on the mountain roads and desert highways here in New Mexico.

I started working on another project, a 1978 Firebird that I'm documenting here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Firebird-Build

I've been itching for some sort of forced induction for the Chevelle for years, so I decided to use the Chevelle's current drivetrain in the Firebird and start over with something more boost friendly. I found a low mile L96 out of a 2010 armored Suburban 2500. The engine is really clean, unlike the old LQ4 which seemed to have spent some time at the bottom of a lake. I'll be ditching the VVT and adding an LS3 intake manifold, but besides that I hope it won't need anything else. I'm planning on running an E67 ECM behind the fender where the TAC module currently lives. For the harness, I'm starting with one from a G8 L76. The Pontiac used an E38 ECM in the front passenger corner. By rotating the harness 180 degrees, it looks like the ECM connectors will fall into place almost perfectly. Obviously all of the pins will be wrong, but that will be fixed when I swap to the E67 style connectors.

I rebuilt my spare T56 with a stage 2 kit from Texas Drivetrain Performance so it should be good to the mid 600hp range now.

1970 Chevelle: 6.0 LQ4, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

2004 Silverado 2500HD LLY/ZF6

Looks like you are staying busy David.
    The Firebird project is cool too, I noticed you went with a single master cylinder this time. Curious to hear your thoughts after driving the Chevelle with the Wilwood dual master if you are having good luck with it.
    I have heard it is a challenge for street driving to set up.
    New engine looks clean!
    Eric
    Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

I'm happy with the Wilwood setup in the Chevelle. My idea with the Firebird was to keep it as more of a budget build. The Wilwood pedals wouldn't have cost a lot more but I know myself well enough to know that the project would have snowballed from there. The other consideration was that I'm not sure if I will keep the Firebird long term. With a stock style setup, the next owner could easily add a vacuum or hydroboost assist if they don't want manual brakes.

As far as setup goes, I haven't noticed any more difficulty compared to the adjustable prop valve I used to have. A remote adjuster (which I plan to add eventually) would make the process even easier.

"The Wilwood pedals wouldn't have cost a lot more but I know myself well enough to know that the project would have snowballed from there."

Simplicity is good, project creep is something I have a hard time with as well.
    Eric
    Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

In the spirit of giving the Firebird the Chevelle's hand-me-downs, I ended up improving the Chevelle again. I found these seats in an R-Spec Hyundai Genesis Coupe at a salvage yard. The R-spec seats are leather with cloth inserts on the bolsters. It's a great combination that really retains you in the seat. The Genesis replaced the Tiburon so the proportions are similar to seats I had been using the last three years. These seats have much more padding and I think the slightly more "beefy" appearance fits the Chevelle interior better. The Tiburon seats will go in the Firebird. I'm not going to talk about the seat track modifications because I had modified my floorpan for the GTO seats and so it doesn't represent the average Chevelle.

Those look VERY comfy!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9