Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I found a few more pictures of the frame on the camera. These show the rear control arm crossmember in more detail. I cut the top of the crossmember out and welded in the tube then cut the bottom of the crossmember out and welded in the two small sections of tube. This just left the control arm mounts which let me get the new mounts perfectly positioned.

1970 Chevelle: 6.0 L96, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

1978 Firebird: 6.0 LQ4, T56

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

During winter break I had time to make some more progress on the interior. My gauge layout didn’t quite work with the straight steering column because the wheel blocked the top of the gauges. It also didn’t provide the most comfortable driving position since I am 6’3. When looking for tilt columns, I noticed that some mid 70’s Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs came with the high beam switch on the column. I wanted this feature because the floor mounted switch is kind of a pain when you have a third pedal. I managed to find two of these columns (non floor shift) in a barn at a local salvage yard. I got both of them for a grand total of 50 bucks! I took the best parts from both of them to make one nice column. The only difference with the later columns is a welded-on firewall plate which I cut off. Now I am able to completely see the gauges, the driving position is more comfortable, and the high beam switch is much more convenient.

With the new column installed, I was able to start working on the dash. I added a bar that follows the curve of the windshield and started on the passenger side of the dash which will contain the glove box. I also added kick/knee panels (not sure what to call them.) The driver’s side has a removable access panel like the factory dash has. The place I get sheet metal from only has 18 gauge so all of the interior panels I build will be quite sturdy (and heavy, unfortunately.)

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

The stock replacement controls for the Vintage Air kit won’t fit in the center part of the dash, so I’m going to have to go with a different controller. I’m torn between one of Vintage Air’s simple controls, or going all out with Dakota Digital’s automatic unit.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

That’s about as far as I could get with the dash until I decide what air vents I am going to use. I am leaning towards the round vents found in newer F-150s. At that point, I started on the console. I based the front of the console off of the setup from a Subaru Legacy. That’s the car the parking brake handle is from, so using the console deign means the handle will fit like it should. I made a cardboard template for the front insert and used that to build the real metal one. I also skinned the sides of the console with the 18 gauge sheet metal.

That’s as far as I was able to get this break. This summer, I plan on ordering the rear end and coilovers so I can finish the new chassis and get them swapped out. I’d really like to have the Chevelle ready to drive down to Texas next fall but I have three weeks of Field Training for ROTC during the summer so it’ll be a struggle. Let me know what y’all think. I appreciate all of the support I’ve had along the way!

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

David I just found your build thread. Awesome job. I'm going to enjoy watching the rest. Subscribbed!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

This is coming along nicely. Subscribed for sure...
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Nice job on the console and E-brake.
      Subscribed as well!
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

Hats off. Good job!
      Dante'

It'll be a few months until I have to order the rear but I have been weighing my options. I was set on a 9 inch from Strange Engineering, but I've been doing some research on full floating setups and Strange's S60. I like the 9 inch because of the vast gear ratio options, lower pinion (for driveline angles), and the dropout third member. However, it is hard to ignore the $500 price difference with the S60. Reading up on full-floating setups also opened up a whole other can of worms. Moser's setup looks nice, but I'm not a big fan of the brake options available. Basically I have it narrowed down to three choices and I would like some advice from people who have more experience than I do (that would be the vast majority of y'all haha)

1. Strange S60. Fully assembled, 35 spline axles, trac-loc differential, 3.73s (I prefer 3.89s but they aren't available with the S60) $2000

2. 9 inch (Semi-floating) Strange housing with GM ends (to reuse my Fourth-Gen Camaro brakes), Strange axles, and Strange third member $2500

3. 9 inch (Full-floating) Moser circle track housing and axle package, Strange third member, Wilwood brake setup. I would use Wilwood's spot parking brake calipers which limit me to a .81" thick rotor. Ideally, I would like to use my Camaro setup but I just don't see a way of doing that with a full floating rear. From what I've seen, I like Strange's housings better than Moser's but their full-floating setup, while nicer, is WAY more expensive. $2800

Honestly, I don't really need any of these setups but I would like to get something that my drivetrain can grow into. I have to weld on the brackets for the coilover setup so I don't want to butch my 12 bolt just to turn around and sell it once it gets outgrown. I'm upgrading my drivetrain from the rear to front so that I don't have to worry about blowing anything up haha. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Quote Originally Posted by David LaBuda View Post
      It'll be a few months until I have to order the rear but I have been weighing my options. I was set on a 9 inch from Strange Engineering, but I've been doing some research on full floating setups and Strange's S60. I like the 9 inch because of the vast gear ratio options, lower pinion (for driveline angles), and the dropout third member. However, it is hard to ignore the $500 price difference with the S60. Reading up on full-floating setups also opened up a whole other can of worms. Moser's setup looks nice, but I'm not a big fan of the brake options available. Basically I have it narrowed down to three choices and I would like some advice from people who have more experience than I do (that would be the vast majority of y'all haha)

1. Strange S60. Fully assembled, 35 spline axles, trac-loc differential, 3.73s (I prefer 3.89s but they aren't available with the S60) $2000

2. 9 inch (Semi-floating) Strange housing with GM ends (to reuse my Fourth-Gen Camaro brakes), Strange axles, and Strange third member $2500

3. 9 inch (Full-floating) Moser circle track housing and axle package, Strange third member, Wilwood brake setup. I would use Wilwood's spot parking brake calipers which limit me to a .81" thick rotor. Ideally, I would like to use my Camaro setup but I just don't see a way of doing that with a full floating rear. From what I've seen, I like Strange's housings better than Moser's but their full-floating setup, while nicer, is WAY more expensive. $2800

Honestly, I don't really need any of these setups but I would like to get something that my drivetrain can grow into. I have to weld on the brackets for the coilover setup so I don't want to butch my 12 bolt just to turn around and sell it once it gets outgrown. I'm upgrading my drivetrain from the rear to front so that I don't have to worry about blowing anything up haha. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
      Check out this thread where Ron Schwartz put a Baer rear setup on a floater. You can see where it appears he was able to use a setup with parking brake in hat and welded a flange he made to the housing. This allowed him to bolt a backing plate where a floater normally would not permit.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ear-axle/page2

You could use your Camaro setup and order some rotors that fit your application.

Chris--

I saw that thread and it got me thinking, but I don't think the Camaro "backing plates" will fit on the axle tube. Even if I were to enlarge the center opening, I don't thing the GM brake flange bolt pattern is large enough for a 3" axle tube.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Country Flag: Canada
      Awesome thread, just read it start to finish. Good job!
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

I saw that thread and it got me thinking, but I don't think the Camaro "backing plates" will fit on the axle tube. Even if I were to enlarge the center opening, I don't thing the GM brake flange bolt pattern is large enough for a 3" axle tube.
      Can the backing plate support a bolt pattern large enough for a 3" axle? If it can, why not make your own flange template? Maybe see if Ron can hook you up some then you can make your own bolt pattern on the backing plate. Its worth a shot.

Chris--

sweet build keep the pics coming and love the dash and center console

I am not sure how I missed this build, but it is looking great.
      Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Can the backing plate support a bolt pattern large enough for a 3" axle? If it can, why not make your own flange template? Maybe see if Ron can hook you up some then you can make your own bolt pattern on the backing plate. Its worth a shot.
      That's a good idea. I'll have to look at the backing plates and see if there would be enough room to drill some new holes. The other issue is clearance between the caliper/backing plate and the control arm mount. The floater setup pushes the brakes inboard and therefore reduces the amount of room available. It's a lot to think about!

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

That's a good idea. I'll have to look at the backing plates and see if there would be enough room to drill some new holes. The other issue is clearance between the caliper/backing plate and the control arm mount. The floater setup pushes the brakes inboard and therefore reduces the amount of room available. It's a lot to think about!
      Hey I just posted up a few picts of the Strange 9 inch rear end with Speedway Floater that I ordered with the RS frame.
      Everything looks very well made and all of those engineering decisions you are thinking about are already taken care of.
      Just food for thought. It is a little expensive but your time is worth something too.
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

Quote Originally Posted by ekmxryda View Post
      Hey I just posted up a few picts of the Strange 9 inch rear end with Speedway Floater that I ordered with the RS frame.
      Everything looks very well made and all of those engineering decisions you are thinking about are already taken care of.
      Just food for thought. It is a little expensive but your time is worth something too.
      What brake setup are you using with that rear?

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

You should have plenty of room. My Moser floater has been shortened 1/2" each side and I have Z06 calipers in rear.

Chris--

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      You should have plenty of room. My Moser floater has been shortened 1/2" each side and I have Z06 calipers in rear.
      What are you using for a parking brake?

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com