Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Looking good. Cool so see another young guy with an A-Body. I'm a freshman ME at Virginia Tech, and I also had my car while in high school. But, unlike you I did no where near the amount of work you have done. You bringing your car to school?

John McLoughlin
      1970 Pontiac Lemans
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lemans-Update

suscribed! Great job man

you got talent man... looks like you learn quickly! It's nice to see a new generation of craftsmen
      project 72 chevelle rs1

Used to be known as streetmetal

Man impressed
      67 LeMans Convertible
      67 GTO
      69 Camaro Build Thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ost-Money-quot
      70 Chevelle 400 4spd
      70 Chevelle

Nice project David! Way to jump in there and make it happen. Keep it going!
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Well I decided to go crazy on the suspension this summer so I bought a second frame to work on. I found one that had been hit in the rear end. The guy had a replacement section to weld in and only wanted 100 bucks. So far I've welded in the new rear section and boxed the middle section. I plan on adding some tubular web bracing like most people do and adding crossmembers in the rear. I will be converting to front and rear coilovers as well. I will probably go with ridetech coilovers and rear control arms from UMI. (I already have adjustable uppers.)

I am having trouble deciding on my front setup though. At this point I'm leaning towards ridetech spindles with SPC upper and UMI lower arms. The alternative is using the stock spindles with UMI upper and lower arms with tall ball joints. I like the first option because the Ridetech spindles look stronger than the stock spindles. I would also think that stock sized ball joints are stronger than the tall ones. What are your thoughts?

I am leaning towards a complete 9 inch setup from Strange Engineering to replace my 12 bolt. I have been playing around with the idea of using a different type of rear suspension (parallel 4 link, torque arm, etc) and now would be the time to do it. Would it be worth the effort to design a new rear suspension or is the stock triangulated 4 link setup competitive against other types of rear suspension?

1970 Chevelle: 6.0 L96, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

1978 Firebird: 6.0 LQ4, T56

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

I started working on the tubular bracing tonight. The bars hang about an inch and a half below the frame rails so they should protect the exhaust from impacts. Once I get that bracing done I'll start working on the rear coilover crossmember.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Is there any problem with mounting coilovers in front of the axle rather than behind? It seems like most people mount the coilovers behind but I have much more room where the coil springs used to be.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

i would say there is more "leverage" on the back side, which you can dial-in controlling the axle a little bit better.
      67 GTO, LS2, T56

WILWOOD, FORGELINE, RIDETECH

Quote Originally Posted by 67goatman455 View Post
      i would say there is more "leverage" on the back side, which you can dial-in controlling the axle a little bit better.
      Where would this extra leverage come from? I figure the "lever arm" would be the same length whether the coilover is in front of the axle or behind.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Hey David, Global West has a kit with the coilovers infront of the axle. http://www.globalwest.net/64-72-chev...uspension.html
      Aaron
      65 Chevelle, LS1 with a T56
      Project G-Velle

MAN OH MAN!!! CONGRATS AND JOB LOOKS SIMPLY FANTASTIC! YOU PUT A VERY NEW MEANING TO THE ADDAGE, "GET SOME KAHUNAS"! KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK AND BEST OF LUCK IN THE FUTURE! LEFT "CAPS" on for emphasis!
      Tom------LS3CHEVELLE

Quote Originally Posted by 65_LS1_T56 View Post
      Hey David, Global West has a kit with the coilovers infront of the axle. http://www.globalwest.net/64-72-chev...uspension.html
      Thanks for sharing the link, that kit looks perfect! I'm going to call and ask if they will sell the brackets without the coilovers.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Really cool see a young guy tear into a project and not give up after realizing how much work it is... Looks like you got a good handle on it!!

Nice work, you're goin' all in on that frame! In regards to the upper control arms and spindles, I would check with ridetech to see if theirs are designed to work solely with the their Strong Arms. If you can't get in touch with someone there, give Mark a shout at Sc&C. Either one of them would tell if this particular mix/match combo will work together. You'll find a few threads here where people put parts together that were not designed to work in a system with the other and they were dissatisfied. Just my .02. Keep up the good work.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Love what your doing with your car. I have pics in my build thread of my coil over conversions on my Chevelle if your interested. Keep going man!
      Scott
      70 Chevelle on a custom chassis with coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, Mast electronics, F-body Magnum, wilwood 6/4, 12 bolt 3:73, bla bla bla...
      my build thread:http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631

Good job david, can't wait to see it here in Texas!!

Very nice David.

Wow I'm sorry guys, I didn't realize how long it's been since I posted an update! Life sorta got in the way of the project like it usually does, but I did make quite a bit of progress since my last update. I finished the tubular in the center of the frame and then decided to cut out and rebuild the rear control arm crossmember. I used the same schedule 40 pipe and 1/4" plate for the control arm mounts. It probably wasn't necessary to replace the crossmember but it does look pretty slick if I do say so myself.

My plans for the suspension have evolved a bit since I started working on the frame. In the front I have UMI lower arms and SPC uppers. However, instead of using the ridetech spindles, I am going to use the stock spindles with tall ball joints for a few different reasons. I am using Global West extended travel coilover brackets. For the rear I have UMI adjustable arms with Rotojoints. I am using a Global West coilover mounting setup in the rear as well. It places the coilovers in front of the axle where the coil springs mounted originally. This should make routing exhaust easier because there are no parts outside of the original suspension's footprint. I will be using Hellwig's adjustable rear sway bar. Finally, I will be using ridetech adjustable coilovers unless something new comes out in the meantime.

At this point I have all of the parts I need except the coilovers and rear end. (I still plan on using a Strange Engineering 9 inch rear.) Once I get those parts, I can build the rear coilover crossmember, finish patching rusty areas up front, and finish the bracing. At that point I'll be able to swap frames and consider the suspension portion of this project done. (For now )

I mocked up the sway bar and coilover mounts on my spare 10 bolt housing. Looks like there will be just enough room between the bracket and bar. If not, I can modify the bracket slightly to move it away from the bar.

My final project before heading back to school was swapping the 12 bolt for the 10 bolt rear. I quickly threw the gears back in the housing, reusing the bearing races I pulled out of it. Me and my buddy were able to swap rears in less than two and a half hours the night before I left. (That's gotta be some sort of record.) I've got the 12 bolt for sale now so that I can hit the ground running when I am able to resume working on the suspension.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Your car is looking great . Your doing some nice fab work !
      Check out my web site.
      http://screaminperformance.net

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com