Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Country Flag: United States

Actual Progress!

Due to Covid-19, I'm working from home and all my kids activities have been cancelled. While I usually get nothing done, I've suddenly got free time and I've been thrashing on the car over the past few weeks. Thanks Corona!

The first thing I did was build a water trap for my air compressor. I had been using rolocs on my pneumatic die grinder to strip the frame/floors and it kept spitting water out after 5 minutes of use. I bought a bunch of 3/4" copper pipe and fittings and armed with YouTube knowledge, I assembled the following:

Name:  watertrap.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  440.0 KB

I just crack open the ball valves at the bottoms of the drop legs and let the condensation out of the system. I've only had moisture in the last leg once and there is a Devilbiss filter/trap at the end right before the attachment to my hose reel. Works great. And yes, I need a larger compressor.

So once the air tools worked properly (and I knew I wouldn't be spitting water out of my paint gun), I finished prepping the floors/frame and got the entire underside shot in Eastwood DTM epoxy primer:

Name:  IMG_6786.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  154.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_6788.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  189.4 KB

The next step was to paint the frame with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black. It dried to a nice satin finish.

Name:  IMG_6790.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  230.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_6792.jpg
Size:  217.1 KB

Masking off the frame so I could shoot the Lizard Skin on the floors was a multi-hour fun fest. I highly recommend separating the body from the frame. Sending out everything for blasting would have saved me weeks of work. Anyway, I didn't do that because I didn't have the room, a rotisserie or a bunch of guys to help. But I got it done. I sprayed 2 coats of Lizard Skin sound deadener and 1 coat of ceramic heat shield on the floors. They both come in 2 gallon pails, but for some reason the sound deadener went a lot farther. Because of the camera flash, it looks light gray in pics, but it's really a dark charcoal gray (they call it black).

Name:  IMG_6932.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  266.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_6923.jpg
Size:  216.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_6917.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  239.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_6936.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  233.0 KB

In this picture you can see that I did the trans tunnel & bottom of the firewall in LizardSkin and the color is better represented:

Name:  IMG_6934.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  219.9 KB

Now I just need to repaint the rearend housing and the trans crossmember and I'm actually going to start putting parts BACK ON the car. I think all I've done is disassemble this thing for the last few years.
      1966 Caprice - L92/4L80e, Ridetech/Hotchkis Suspension
      Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Big-Black-quot

1989 Camaro Iroc Z G92 5-Speed (one of 300 as optioned). Bone Stock.

This is fantastic! Love the air drier too!

Name:  IMG_7146.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  300.1 KBName:  IMG_7214.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  261.1 KBName:  IMG_7216.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  272.4 KB

It's back on all 4 for the first time in a long while. Right before COVID hit, I had the brilliant idea of buying another car-- an '89 Iroc Z. It's at the paint shop now and when it comes home, I want to put it in the garage. That lit the fire to get the '66 undercoated and suspension reassembled. Still have to install the front shocks and swaybars, but it's rolling again so I can get it over to one side of the garage. Probably won't be back hard at it until September when the garage cools off again.

1966 Caprice - L92/4L80e, Ridetech/Hotchkis Suspension
      Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Big-Black-quot

1989 Camaro Iroc Z G92 5-Speed (one of 300 as optioned). Bone Stock.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4