Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Gel coat color?

Country Flag: United States

Gel coat color?

Does the gel coat color matter if you are planning to prime and paint fiberglass parts?

We were asked to choose a gel coat color for the body of our RCR40 car as they are getting ready ro do a new run of bodywork.

We are planning on painting the car a Dark Graphite Gray Pearl we like with Nissan. Midnight Purple Pearl 2 for the stripes for a different color combo that we think will look good with a few Carbon Fiber pieces we are adding to the car.

Will it really matter about the color of the gel coat?
      Building cars or any project must be fun first. If not it turns into a job.

We build cars for the fun and enjoyment of it, it is a family time things.

So if the fun stops, the build stops.

No since you are planning on priming and sealing it. Some colors will make it easier to see minor defects prior to that though.

They have a primer gray, black and silver as a few options. I will talk to our local painter and see wjich will be the best for hom to work with.

I found out today, I will not be ordering more than a pint of paint from Nissan. Will only do so to be able to.mtch the color we want with a different brand. Went to.order the Midnight Purple 2 from a dealer and found out it is not a US optional color code. So checked on line to order the paint as we are repainting my GTR right now and it is close.to $250 a gal with shipping, I ordered 1 pint.

Wait until you do something in red................... Break out the credit cards

The main reason for the paint being so hi in cost is to get the paint from Nissan we would have to order it from Japan. We are getting ready to paint my GTR with same color as we plan on using for the stripes on the GT40. So we figured we would just order a little extra.

Insteaded we ordered a pint from a dealer we found and will match it to the HOK paint we will use on both projects.
      Yes certain colors seem to a a lot higher in cost than others for some crazy reason.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com