Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackpenquinn View Post

Would the a heavy crowd frown on a car with a non-Chevy transaxle in it? My guess is they would.
      As long as you have a Chevy engine your good,
      Nascar 69 Chevelle project, 1999 Hutch Pagan Nascar chassis, 69 Chevelle body,700hp, Penske's, slicks, roadrace track day https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...le-Cup-project
      89 Iroc 406 Fitech 5 spd
      01 chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1 Allison
      31 Scarab 2 x 454

Country Flag: Cambodia
      Name:  65 Coupe 1.5.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  80.2 KB

Im building my car with similar ideas for weekend track use. I would suggest using one of the aftermarket chassis options because they work well and are mandatory in a modded C1-C3 to get decent resale. The latest and greatest is Roadster Shop but all are good. Most of these cars will weigh in at 2800-3000lbs when complete. I wouldnt bother adding a $25k transaxel or using a torque tube unless your budget is $200k+. I would suggest buying a NOM good daily driver for $30k-$35k and shipping it to the chassis builder. He will mount the body on the new chassis/drivetrain and then it is ready for paint and interior.

Im giving you my opinions based on several mistakes I made in my first build and wish you well. For my second build, Im in the planning stages of a 68 Coupe. The complete chassis, 700hp drivetrain and body mounting will run about $65K. If you want to save money, do a C3 instead of a C2. C2s are generally the most expensive of the vintage models.

Good Luck with your build!!

Country Flag: United States
      http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/home.html

Here is a company building both C2 and C3 chassis using C4 rear axles or C5/C6 set up in the C2 chassis one even use the rear axle out of a viper.
      All with C5 and C6 front suspension.
      Attachment 70017Attachment 70018Attachment 70019Attachment 70020Attachment 70021Attachment 70022Attachment 70023Attachment 70024
      Life is full of problems.
      It depends on how you deal with them and move forward.
      This will show others the type of person you are.

Make the best of things that are put in front of you and enjoy life.

If I was not getting ready to building my RCR40 MKII right now, I would look more into this for a build. After the C3 corvettes I never cared for the bodies until the C6 and the C7 looks even better.

For another option for a 63-64 model would be though http://www.mongoosems.com/GrandSportSpecifications.php

This is a replica of the Grand Sport Edition cars that GM built. There is several option so it once again would depend on what you want or are willing to spend.
      For a turn key minus build.( Basicly rolling car ready to add your drivetrain) $69,995.00. Not a bad price with what all you get. From What I can tell the look like pretty nice cars. The are even now building a track only SCCA approved version, but no price listed on that one yet.

I haven't started yet. I know I love the idea, but it has been a while since I have been in a 60's era car. I would likely have to sell the R8 to fund this build, unless I did it over many years. But I doubt I have the patience for that. Doing my homework.

Your car looks great. Let us know how she drives. I would love to hear what cars it's competitive with on a road course.

If I was going to do it, I would have to do a C2 car. That's the best looking one to my eyes. I would also have to find an angle that is unique, would need to add something to the cause.

I have come across most of those projects. The SRIII frames look fantastic, as do the Roadster Shop (their suspension components are more proprietary). I have spoken with Gary at Mongoose (nice guy, informative). They can build the car I want, though their frame is closer to a Grandsport than any of the above frames.

My original plan was to build a Grandsport.

Great ideas and this forum is awesome. People really are looking to help.

Has anyone created and posted a C2 with a transaxle? How much weight does it move back?

Country Flag: Cambodia
      The custom chassis cars are designed for optimum weight distribution. The original cars had pretty good distribution from the factory. If you want to go with a transaxel, take a look at the Albins DCT 6sp. Ive talked to them many times and they are very helpful. At the time I was about to pull the trigger on an RCR SLC. If you want to build a fast supercar, take a look at the SLC.

I dont expect my C2 to smoke the latest Z06s or ZR1s around a track. I do expect it to turn a decent lap and have a lot of fun. The C2 will also be more fun at normal speeds as it is more raw and unrefined. Most supercars are in zombie-mode at highway speeds. They are more or less sleep walking their way around town and on the highway. The down side is my C2 will not be as comfortable on long trips. Make it comfortable and add luxury, your is at 3200lbs +.

There is a nice Grand Sport for sale on the Corvette Forum for less than $75k. It is worth a look if you dont want to sell the R8 in the process. Ive probably said too much and offered too much advice, lol. I simply love the subject!!

No amount of advice is too much in love the subject of cars too.

I feel the same way with many of the modern cars that put outright pace ahead of driver enjoyment. It has to be a marriage of both. I have owned and driven a bunch of cars and faster is not always more fun.

My Vantage V12 is slower than the R8, but it is a more intoxicating drive. Scary at the limit and more willing to bite you, around town it's stiffer with keener steering and a roaring exhaust note. As a result its mor fun and the seat of the pants dyno says its faster, but in reality it's not. I'm not racing it, so who cares.

The R8 is the perfect supercar daily driver. High enough to go over everything, civil enough for traffic, but potent enough for mayhem.

I'm looking for a more visceral experience, and also a car that is cheaper if you "off". I have always coveted the 60's era vettes, the side pipes etc. amazing time for cars.

The costs for the project are getting huge and that's the debate I'm having. I could buy back my old V8 Vantage for the price of a decent roller. I would have a stiffer structure, transaxle, and then transform it into a track monster. But it's new, and new is tricky.

A 60's vette is a rare element.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com