Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      I think so. I have done something similar in the past
      I would not... Seats have a tendency to break off in a crash, I would mount it solid to the floor.... There is a popular STC modification for Piper Supercubs that removes the seat mounted seat belts to a hard point system welded into the floor tubing... Just my 2C

love the car.... Hope to see it roaming around someday...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 69CougarXR7 View Post
      I would not... Seats have a tendency to break off in a crash, I would mount it solid to the floor.... There is a popular STC modification for Piper Supercubs that removes the seat mounted seat belts to a hard point system welded into the floor tubing... Just my 2C

Brian
      I'm with Brian, everything I've seen or done for track caged cars says to mount it to the floor.

Thanks for the help guys. I now have to see if the belts are long enough to mount to the floor. My seats don't have a belt hole between my legs so I will have to sit on the belt to get it behind me.

GM trucks have had the belt in the seat for a long time, what's wrong with that as a mounting point?

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      GM trucks have had the belt in the seat for a long time, what's wrong with that as a mounting point?
      Nothing, providing the seat mounting points are properly reinforced. In the event of an accident the belts transfer all of the force to the seat's floor mounts. When you consider the shoulder belt is anchored two to three feet above the seat mounts there is a lot of leverage against the seat mounts, especially the mounts at the back of the seat runners. It wouldn't take much to rip the bolts out of the floor.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

When I had the roll bar installed the shop welded in seat mount supports to the floor and also increased the size of the seat hardware. Before I go too far with this I will run the question by them. My car should be back over there in 2-3 weeks to have my new Ron Sutton clip installed. I can't wait for it to arrive!

The hood has a done. That required a lot of cutting and welding to get those right. The car had some pretty significant body damage in its life that wasn't repaired very well. There was a terrible graft in the middle of the front fender and the nose was pushed over almost 1/2". That is all fixed now.

The passenger side wheel arch is now done and reworking the shape of the lower grill opening should be done now. I will take some pictures tomorrow. They are also painting the valance grey and the splitter black epoxy so I can get a better visual of what it will look like.

My suspension is almost done with assembly. There was a delay with the upper control arms but they should be done soon. With a little luck it will ship out to me next week.

The glass guy will hopefully come over to try out an idea he has for 1 piece door glass. I would like to eliminate the wing windows. He also need to come up with a plan for the rear quarter glass. The plan for now is to cut out a section from a windshield that has the right shape. If that doesn't work I will have some plexiglass made.

Beyond that there really isn't much metal work to do. Mainly touching up some areas and getting ready for the filler portion of the job.

I had an opportunity to stop by the chassis shop today to discuss the timing of putting in the new front clip and the seat brackets. They said that with the mods that they made to the seat mounts having the mounts on the bar I made is just fine. The emphasized that most of the energy in a crash would come from the side belts and the main purpose of the lower belts is to stop me from sliding down and the belt from sliding up. I guess I will weld on the hooks, clean up the bar and make another one for the passenger side. Thanks for the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      Nothing, providing the seat mounting points are properly reinforced. In the event of an accident the belts transfer all of the force to the seat's floor mounts. When you consider the shoulder belt is anchored two to three feet above the seat mounts there is a lot of leverage against the seat mounts, especially the mounts at the back of the seat runners. It wouldn't take much to rip the bolts out of the floor.

Ken
      That makes sense, thank you.

I had a change of plans with my harness straps this weekend. I am going to add harness slots to my seats and ordered some grommets this weekend to do so. It should be pretty easy to do and I will have Tracy over at the Recovery Room make them look pretty. Thanks for all the help!

The front valance has been shaped to better flow with the original grill. We painted the valance with gray epoxy and the splitter black so it would better blend with the car. I think it looks better with the softer edges. It will be nice when it is back on the ground.

The gaps have been set in the deck lid and they started working on the latch for it now.

I have not been able to get a profile view of the car for a long time so it was nice to get a glimpse today. When I stood back I did not like the lack of a point on the front bumper so they will be reworking it to better match the rear.

The license plate trim was made and I think it will look killer when it gets chromed!

The gas cap has also been shaped to fit the quarter panel. It is a little high now but will be made flush after final body work is done. If you press on the top and twist slightly it will pop up then it can be twisted to remove.

The biggest thing I am waiting on now is all the glass and then the front suspension to arrive. Once it is in we will have to gap the doors and make some modifications to the engine bay panels. It is starting to come together!

One cool thing is it looks like I may get a sponsorship from BASF. It looks like they may pay for all the materials! They have expressed some interest in having it at SEMA but that may be a long shot. Guys like Chip Foose then to be in the paint manufacturer booths. It is pretty hard to compete with them.

Bravo, It's really coming along! and the front remodel really looks great now

Thanks James.

Yea, that's sharp!

The shop is still finishing up on the small items. They are about done with the trunk latch and as usual they are exceeding my expectations. They fabricated a nice metal cover that will be screwed to the latch bracket. It will hide the mechanism and will provide a mounting point for interior panels. There is still some finishing touches to do but that is mostly on the trunk lid itself.

That's pretty slick!

The minor touches continue. They were able to put a flange around the spoiler mechanism to Jane interior panels. The struts were also minted to the deck lid. Due to the additional weight I will need to increase the pressure on the struts. It should work great when I have the right pressure struts.

The to do list (for body work) is getting pretty short now.
      1. Rework the ends of the front bumpers
      2. Fit door and side glass
      3. Modify the frame not of the rear wheel opening by flaring it just a little.
      4. Adjust the doors once the suspension is installed.
      5. Fabricate new engine compartment panels due to the new front suspension.

I guess the list isn't as short as I thought it was.��

That's impressive work on the latch cover. It seems like a fairly tricky piece to fabricate and make everything line up perfectly.

I agree with you. The crazy thing is that the piece is as clean in the inside as it is on the outside.

I asked them to added a turn signal that will be inside the outer brake openings. We have a pretty cool plan and it should be done next week.

The most exciting news is that my Ron Sutton suspension is done and it will be here next week! It will then head off to the chassis shop for install along with the TCP torque arm setup. When that is done we will almost be ready to start the primer/paint process.

The bumpers are now done and the slight flare to the front edge of the rear fenders is done. I added another item to the to-do list and they have almost finished it. It was to add a turn signal to the outer valance opening. My original plan was to have the turn signals installed around the projector bulbs in the headlight. My concern now is that they would not be visible if the lights were on. The new turn signals function as daytime running lights as well as turn signals. The theme of the grill was continued to the lights. Parallel grill bars on the top and bottom but these will likely be painted black to match the splitter. This one is almost done. It needs a curved piece on the inside edge of the lense like it has on the outside.

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com