Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      The rear end is now in. We still need to put in a new sway bar but have to order a shorter bar to fit where we want to put it. It will be mounted in front and above the axle. It will make running the exhaust much easier. A new bar was ordered from Ron Sutton Race Technologies and should be here next week.

Flanges and tubes have been ordered for the headers but I have all the rest of the parts we need for the exhaust. We also ordered a new core for the radiator. Now that the new front suspension is in it created a lot more space for a radiator. We should be able to fit a core that is about 6” taller. We will also channel the air from the radiator and scoops into the radiator and coolers by fabricating some ducts.

There is a lot of details going on now. I am glad to have the guys at Rhom Innovations and Ron Sutton collaborating to help me come up with solutions that are aesthetically pleasing but more importantly functional.

Here are a couple pictures of the axle in place less the sway bar. Some sheet metal work is still required. �� We will also tie the upper shock mount into the cage for additional support.

I see in the first photo that the frame has been cleaned at the top off the arch. I hope this means it will be reinforced there, as these cars are prone to bending there at the SLIGHTEST rear impact.

There is actually more metal on the top of the arch than from the factory. Except for the removal of the sheet metal which will be replaced. The cleaning up was an old crossmember that I welded in there. They removed it but added metal to the top of the arch and on the inside of the arch. This was done to create a better/stronger mounting point for the shock bar that connects the wheel arches. The other item that will add substantial strength to the area is the down bars for the cage. The go from the main hoop and attach to the frame rails behind the rear wheels. The shock bar will also be triangulated to the down bars for additional strength.

I agree that the original cars were not very strong back there. The frame rails are not very thick. I remember when I first got it I would put a jack under the back of the frame rails and the car would twist. It did not act like that after the roll bar was put in the car.

The front sheet metal is the weak point right now. There are a couple tubes holding the front of the fenders to the frame. That will be fixed when it goes back to the body shop and work on the engine bay is finished up.

Thanks for bringing up your concerns. I appreciate the feedback and I am listening.

Very cool project. The boss at my first job had one, let it sit, and wanted to give it to me. Unfortunately I had to decline :-(

For the coilover shock, both ends are single shear. Have you considered a double shear joint on both ends?

VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      Very cool project. The boss at my first job had one, let it sit, and wanted to give it to me. Unfortunately I had to decline :-(

For the coilover shock, both ends are single shear. Have you considered a double shear joint on both ends?
      Turned down a free car! Sounds like you saved a lot of money in the long run.😂

I believe the lower shock mount is a double shear. That is if I understand what that means. The shock mount has a plate on both sides.
      Name:  6BE9FC52-C036-467D-BEFB-B33C18489032.jpg
Views: 2362
Size:  8.5 KB
      Name:  DEFB5932-E56F-454D-A17C-38FA5BFA5237.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  8.1 KB

I've had the same fun car for 36 years. Ignorance is bliss when it comes to car expenses.

Thanks for the photo. It was hard to see in your latest photos. Yes, double shear so that the fastener is in shear in two places (like the lower mount) and reduces the bending moment/twisting created (like the upper mount.)

The moment load from the upper shock mount gets transferred to the top of the arch, so that connection has to support both the vertical loading and bending moment from the coilover. Depending on tube thickness, arch thickness, weld size + quality, etc. a brace to support from the arch to the tube may be a good structural addition. In addition, a "|_|" type bracket around the top of the shock to put the bolt in double shear and eliminate the fastener bending moment will significantly strengthen the connection and reduce the chances of bending the bolt.

Kinda like the first photo http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/07.../photo-11.html
      Last edited by CarlC; 04-04-2018 at 11:12 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Thanks for the detailed explanation and suggestion on boxing the upper mount.

We have the oil and transmission coolers mounted. I will have to put some sort of protective screen on it still but is should work well.

Here is a close up picture of the upper shock mount. It has a pretty heavy duty sleeve in it for strength.

Ron Sutton brought up a concern today. He questioned the long-term durability of the aluminum lower link bars and panhard bar. Some new bars are now in the way with the help of Dave over at Ron Sutton Race Technologies. Those guys, along with the fellas at Rhom Innovations have been fantastic to work with.

Not much progress on the car over the past 3 months. The chassis guys have been very busy with race season and Mom car went on the back burner.

This week was pretty productive though. The rear sway bar is mounted. It is mounted in the same spot I originally placed it because a better spot could not be found. Since we moved to a smaller diameter bar we also used a smaller diameter mounting bar. This allowed up to tuck the bar in closer to the fuel tank.

It has 3 mounting holes that correspond with the holes on the bar. The should allow for some tuning as needed.

Nice progress was made on the headers. This was a real PITA due to space. Glad I wasn’t doing it! Jon over at Rhom Innovations has done a great job. There is hardly any clearance . We are now waiting on a couple tight bends and then it can come out for final welding.

Jon also made an X pipe that will mount right under the transmission mount and in front of the torque arm mount. We weren’t sure a X pipe would work but it did.

We hope to finish up the headers next week as well as the exhaust. The final bits to fabricate will be the radiator and a cold air intake. The cold air intake will pull air from the hood scoop.

Super tight fit for the headers. No wonder I couldn’t find a set of off the shelf headers that would work.

https://youtu.be/o4Ithh5d5iE

This car is so bad a$!. You going to Ron's workshop this year in Vegas Darreld?

Ahmad
      Ahmad B.

Thanks Ahmad. Not this year. I am going to SEMA with 4 buddies and I am the only 1 who knows all of them. I am kinda bummed to not go to Ron’s workshop. I always learn so much. Are you going?

I'm going to try but I literally started a new high school teaching job this week and the school year falls within the worshop week. I'm going to try to arrange for a substitute tho.

Your car is coming along amazing tho. You should try and get your car into Sema thru Ron when completed maybe? It looks more then worthy.
      Ahmad B.

Congrats on the new job. Good luck with getting the substitute.

More progress on the exhaust. We are waiting on a couple more bends to finish the tailpipes. Will be working on the connecting the steering shaft this afternoon.

Now I have to decide on the placement of the exhaust tips.

Recessed, flush or lips showing. What do you think? I am thinking lips showing.
      Recessed

Flush

Tips showing

Either flush, or out. Otherwise you might be getting soot on the paint.
      I'd go with flush. My reasoning, is that what the new cars (Volvo specifically) have, which tells me a focus group somewhere said that's more visually appealing that sucked in, or sticking out.
      Just my 0.02

I'd go with flush. Out looks out of place with the curve of the valance.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Thanks for the feedback. I will be going with flush. It will provide about the same look as the chrome trim around the tail lights.

The car sees the sun for the first time in a little over a year.

Looks amazing!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Canada
      Simply gorgeous car ....

Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com