Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I don't know... something about this "tuner" seems off to me.
      Given the type of problems you've had, I'm wondering if he/they really knows what they're doing.
      It sounds like they used the wrong main bearings, or if the crank journals were resurfaced perhaps they forgot to clearance for the thicker thrust bearings? I've had that happen to me once, years ago on a 1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto 1750 Veloce build. (That shop is no longer in business.)
      At this point, I would insist that once the engine is reassembled, they test run the engine, on an engine dyno, with your flywheel/clutch assy and crank pulley, and you there to witness it. So if it fails, it does so in their shop, not yours.

The bellhousing should not be an issue. There is one bolt that won't be used along the top, driver side top as the hole isn't drilled in the block, but any small block Chevy/LS bellhousing will fit any LS engine. I even ran a 1997 old style 4L80E in a 2000 Silverado 5.3 without issues, just had to get the correct flexplate.

Where there was an issue on the first few years of the LS engines was the crank depth. The crank stuck out further on the earlier LS engines, and there was a special flexplate that had to be used that would correct the depth. It's been too long and I don't remember the exact details, but the information is easy enough to find and the correct flexplate is a factory GM part. The difference was around 1/2 inch, and if you had the shorter crank flexplate on the longer crank it will bind, so it sounds like you have the wrong flexplate for the crank.

EDIT - it just occurred to me that you might have a stick. I don't recall which. But, the crank depth on the trans side of the engine is going to be an issue with either trans. Unfortunately, I don't know what the correct parts might be for a stick. My left knee has ensured that I'll never have another one. I'll miss them.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

This is nothing to do with bellhousing, or anything past that. This is purely all on Texas Speed.
      Building an LS isn't rocket science. It's a 20 year old platform, and the new "fits all Chevy short-block" that's in every "hotrod" these days.
      Inexcusable.
      Seeing you type, "anyone wanna buy a Volvo" is disheartening. Don't let someone elses 'f-up', get you down. Make them fix the problem.
      Would be nice if they'd make it worth your while for the extra labor they've caused. That's minimum.

I got a little more clarification on the engine and bell housing. The bell housing was not as bad as I understood. The four side bolts and pin line up but the rest are misaligned. We will modify the bellhousing used for mock up to allow for the top bolt hole to be used. It will need to be filled and drilled. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

The engine has me a little perplexed. The main bearings have heat marks on them and a couple rod bearings we so tight they were not allowing the crank to rotate. Some clearances were off or perhaps it needed a line bore?

Pretty weird since the engine had not been fired.

Name:  IMG_4495.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4493.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  123.3 KB

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      well it looks like your engine "builder" is not a builder, but an assembler who took a pile of expensive parts and just threw it together! as I'm reading the last post I got to thinking about how in TA Series guys could get the power out of a 305 oem parts engine! it's by precision! the balance is perfect, the clearances are exact!
      its sad that your engine turned out this way! I have been flowing your build ever sense you found that beautiful body panel work, if anytime would have been a time to walk away it would have been then! Hold your engine assembler accountable!
      hold your head high and finish this outstanding car!

Measure the bores across three angles, and at the top, middle and bottom of the bores. I know someone who bought a high dollar engine from another Texas builder (not posting the name because it's hearsay as far as this board's concerned) that put 2000 miles on when it started knocking. Pulled it down, and the innards that looked new when the engine went in the car looked like a 600,000 mile engine. The bore on the cylinders were not just out of round, they were different diameters from top to bottom. It was like they skipped the final sizing/cleanup bore and just slapped it together.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater

I have no idea on your exp. with engines. From what you have described, the wrong bearings are installed on the crank. I'm guessing because you said it was a kit that it had a new crank and rods. If they were all remachined, then the machine work may be suspect. I use a micrometer on journals and a dial bore gauge on the inside of bores. Perhaps you might take the crank and one rod with bearing to a machine shop and ask them to measure them for you. Accurate info will tell you where the problem is and quite possibly where it originated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      This is purely all on Texas Speed.
      Building an LS isn't rocket science.
      Not sure how this is all on Texas Speed, they sold the parts but someone else assembled the engine without checking the most basic clearances from the sounds of it. Had he bought the engine assembled I would agree but they can't be held accountable for something they did not do.

The engine is headed over to a machine shop. Hope to have it there this weekend. Still not sure if the problem but it looks like it is being narrowed down to either a bent crank or needing a line bore. I will keep this updated.

At this point I really don’t care who or what is the problem. I just want it fixed and get this car moving along. I am sure there will be other problems that come up after the engine starts up. I will take care of those as well.

All of this is extremely frustrating but I learned long ago that nothing is ever on my timeline and the quicker I remind myself that the better it is. This is no exception. Baby steps to the finish line.

Quote Originally Posted by RMMiller View Post
      Not sure how this is all on Texas Speed, they sold the parts but someone else assembled the engine without checking the most basic clearances from the sounds of it. Had he bought the engine assembled I would agree but they can't be held accountable for something they did not do.
      My bad, I thought they built it too.

I think most of us take take baby steps to the finish line. Can't wait to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      The engine is headed over to a machine shop. Hope to have it there this weekend. Still not sure if the problem but it looks like it is being narrowed down to either a bent crank or needing a line bore. I will keep this updated.

At this point I really don’t care who or what is the problem. I just want it fixed and get this car moving along. I am sure there will be other problems that come up after the engine starts up. I will take care of those as well.

All of this is extremely frustrating but I learned long ago that nothing is ever on my timeline and the quicker I remind myself that the better it is. This is no exception. Baby steps to the finish line.
      Darreld, you have a good attitude. Sorry to hear of the setbacks, but you'll get there. There's always something that doesn't go right, needs to be redone, or is otherwise a pain in the rear. Those car shows where they fire up a build and drive out that day, forget about it. The baby steps now pay off as big strides in reliability later.
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

At this point I really don’t care who or what is the problem. I just want it fixed and get this car moving along.
      Your frustration is understandable, just don't let them slide on this. That's what they are counting on. An owner so eager to get to the "finish line", that they'll choose not to pursue the issue. Be it a bent crankshaft or improperly sized bearings, the group assembling your engine should have checked everything before starting assembly, and continued checking for proper fitment throughout the process.
      Delivering an engine that can't be turned over by hand is not acceptable, period. In fact, I would not be surprised to find that some of the parts (crankshaft) are not even the ones supplied by Texas Speed. This would go a long way towards explaining the poor fit of the harmonic balance pulley.

If you ever decide to sell

If you ever decide to sell your volvo, then let me know as I may be interested.

Thanks for the offer but I will see this through. I am going to go install the engine late this week. It took a few months for the machine shop to line bore the engine and reassemble it. I think the builder got the main caps in the wrong order but I am not positive. I hope to have the engine back in on Thursday. I may not be able to get everything in place but should have the majority of the heavy lifting done then.

It has been a pretty frustrating 8 months with this thing. I figured it would be done by now but as usual, nothing ever happens on my schedule.

It has been a pretty frustrating 8 months with this thing. I figured it would be done by now but as usual, nothing ever happens on my schedule.
      It could be worse. I'm 3 years into my project and I'm still waiting for the frame to be built.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      It could be worse. I'm 3 years into my project and I'm still waiting for the frame to be built.
      That's nothing! I started my volvo build before Darrell (10 yrs now) and it's still in the body mod stage.

Quote Originally Posted by YourAverageJoe View Post
      That's nothing! I started my volvo build before Darrell (10 yrs now) and it's still in the body mod stage.
      I think he started before that. I'm at year 9 with my Volvo build and I know he started well before that. Here's mine:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...(S)?highlight=

Keep the faith bro!

I have been working on this a long time. I purchased it in August 2011, picked it up in November 2011 but had a problem getting the title for a while. I got the title in March 2012 and started working on it then. Way too long. I thought it was going to be a 3 year project. It seems like most of the 10 years was waiting on the body shop or chassis/ tuner guys.

Hi Darreld,
      Just checking in. Any updates?
      Brian

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com