Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
      Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States
      Please post if you take it to any local or regional shows. I live outside Leavenworth, my sister lives in Camas. I'd like to see the car in the flesh.... er. steel
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

[QUOTE=Twentyover;1353284]Please post if you take it to any local or regional shows. I live outside Leavenworth, my sister lives
      Quote Originally Posted by Twentyover View Post
      Please post if you take it to any local or regional shows. I live outside Leavenworth, my sister lives in Camas. I'd like to see the car in the flesh.... er. steel
      Yes, please do. I'm in the Tri Cities and it's not too far to go and always up for a road trip.

I google where you live as I need to come to WA to see my son later in the year ( Covid ?) but he is long way away from you

I live down in southern Washington, right outside of Portland, OR. If anyone wants to swing by my place when you are in the area PM me. I likely won't have the car in a show until this fall. I hope to find a spot and be done by SEMA. Fingers crossed that it will be done and there will be a SEMA this year. If that does not happen I may take it down to the GNRS next year.

I have a question for you guys. I am plumbing the car now and have about 1/2 the brake system done but am waiting on some fittings there. I have also started on the fuel system. I have the tank plumbed and the hose to the regulator but am now at a crossroad with the main fuel line to the engine. My initial layout took the fuel line up the rockers and then into the engine compartment via the wheel well. With all the suspension modifications it would be very difficult to do the same path now. I am thinking about going up the transmission tunnel. There is not a lot of extra space there and the fuel line would be pretty close to the transmission but far away from the exhaust. The easier path is to go this way.

Should I go that direction or just do the hard way and go in through the fender? I was planning on going with 8 AN feed lines but feel that may be overkill for may maybe 600 hp. If I dropped it down to 6AN it would make routing easier. Is it worth 8AN for my application? Last question is what line to use. I have both aluminum or soft lines for both sizes so that won't be a problem to make the changes now. Will heat soak be worse with aluminum or should I use the PTFE hose since it is easier to work with but is slightly larger in diameter?

Sorry for all the questions but I only want to do this one time.

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      Is there a thread on here about garage builds? That may be something cool to see. A general thread where everyone posts ideas. EDIT I just noticed a section for garage builds. I will have to look through it for lighting ideas and heating/AC.
      If not on Pro-Touring then how about this https://www.garagejournal.com/

Go to "The Forum" it has "Flooring", "Heating and A/C", "Lighting & Electrical", etc. Plus a Gallery of amazing Garages.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      You should be proud, thats a very sharp car. And more importantly, I think it achieved your goal of a Volvo/Ferrari hybrid. Definitely in the top two builds on this forum along with the Bullit Charger build.
      Couldn't agree more. These two have been top notch. Congrats, you are almost there, Darreld!
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

You should have no problem pushing 700+hp with a 6AN fitting.

Great job on the build! You're so close to finished. I'm just finishing up building a 70 Boss 302 and then I can finally get back to finishing my P1800. Not a lot of progress in 4 yrs now. Can't wait to order my glass from Fessler and get it installed. I'll have to startup my build thread again when I do. Thanks for all of the ideas 😊

Quote Originally Posted by YourAverageJoe View Post
      You should have no problem pushing 700+hp with a 6AN fitting.

Great job on the build! You're so close to finished. I'm just finishing up building a 70 Boss 302 and then I can finally get back to finishing my P1800. Not a lot of progress in 4 yrs now. Can't wait to order my glass from Fessler and get it installed. I'll have to startup my build thread again when I do. Thanks for all of the ideas ��
      Thanks for the confirmation on the 6AN. I am going down that path now. You will have to keep the 1800 thread updated when you start up again.

I have been making some progress on the plumbing but I seem to be waiting on fittings on just about every part before I can finish it. I did some double checking on my brake system and it appears that my master cylinder was a little too big and my piston area of my calipers was not large enough. I have a new Wilwood master cylinder and calipers on the way. The Safecraft fire suppression system is about 90% complete, II Much fuel vent is just waiting on a fitting and I am in the process of laying out the Ramlift Pro hydraulic lift system for the front end. Waiting on some bulkhead fittings for that as well.

Once the plumbing is done I will start taking on the task of wiring. I did find out that Haltech made some recent updates to their system that will allow me to use the wheel speed sensors from the Bosch ABS to communicate to the Haltech via CAN bus as well as to the AIM track monitoring system. Should make wiring easier. I also picked up a Position Rotary Trim module know to make the traction control adjustable. It can go from very restrictive (kids driving the car) to no traction control at all from twisting a 12 position knob. The same can be done with the ABS system. Should be very adjustable and tunable system when it is done.

Progress is slow lately. Seems like I have been waiting for fittings or hoses more than working on the car. I almost have the plumbing done and have started working on the wiring. Stilll need to get my new Wilwood master cylinder and larger rear calipers as well as some hose to finish plumbing the Ram Lift Pro hydraulic lift system.

The RLP setup is pretty cool. With a push of a button I will be able to lift the nose of the car up about 2” to clear driveways or speed bumps. The pump is mounted in the trunk since there is no space in the front of the car.

Name:  IMG_3906.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  268.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_3902.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  264.4 KB

I also installed the Safecraft fire suppression system.

Name:  EC5AAD22-4423-4D40-8621-80573AB096F5.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  394.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_3903.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  277.3 KB

The IIMuch fuel vent and bulkhead connectors are installed.

Name:  IMG_3907.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  274.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_3901.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  219.5 KB

And now I am beginning the process of installing the American Autowire harness.

Name:  IMG_3904.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  308.2 KB

Hopefully the wiring will be done in the next couple weeks so I can install the drivetrain. That will be exciting! Can’t wait for that one.

I am pretty much done with the basic car wiring. The engine, transmission and exhaust are back on. Starting to look like a car again.

Name:  IMG_3934.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  850.3 KB

Simply incredible!

Stunning workmanship (which involves a lot of planning and a consistent build plan). Bravo!

Thanks guys. I am now running into a few snags that are slowing me down. For instance, when the chassis shop installed the new front clip on the car they mounted the engine about .75" lower in the car. May not seem like much but is making me modify a few things. My original mechanical water temp gauge that is located on the rear of the passenger head will not clear the body. I will have to use an adapter which is driving me nuts. It will look half assed and will bug me every time I see it. It has to be that way or I remove the engine, do surgery to the firewall and repaint the engine bay. That isn't going to happen so I will simply live with it. I hope I can make it as clean as I can and try to hide it. In addition to that my original plug wires with a straight boot will not fit either. I have some 45 degree wires on the way that I will cut and assemble to fit.

My body guy did not double check some fitment items either. My air box interferes with my valve covers. I will have to have the body show trim just a little bit to clear. All little things but they time really adds up when I run into a problem. Other than a few small items I am making progress. I am having a fried come over tomorrow to assist me with some of these issues and more wiring. I really want to get this car to the tuner next month so that I can send it off for the interior shortly after. There are just so many details that need to be done.

I am going to order my new driveline from Inland Empire Driveline Service. I just have to confirm one measurement before I pull the trigger. Rocky over there has been really helpful to make sure I get it right the first time.

My original mechanical water temp gauge that is located on the rear of the passenger head will not clear the body.
      How about converting to an electric driven gauge? I've never used this guy before, but the stuff on his website looks pretty good and he claims to be able to retrofit old gauges to look the same but use modern electronic guts. This would let you use the ECM to drive the stock looking gauges, and would let you not have to run separate lines for the ECM and the gauges.

IDEA: Run the wires through 'Tech Flex'. You can choose what color you want to use.
      Maybe a touch of red on the ends with adhesive heat shrink for added "flair".

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      How about converting to an electric driven gauge? I've never used this guy before, but the stuff on his website looks pretty good and he claims to be able to retrofit old gauges to look the same but use modern electronic guts. This would let you use the ECM to drive the stock looking gauges, and would let you not have to run separate lines for the ECM and the gauges.
      When I had the gauges rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer they told me they could not rebuild the gauges with electronic components because the gauge is a combo gauge of Water temp and oil temp in one vertical gauge. I think I found some adapters that are pretty low profile. I will try that before going too far in another direction. If I am not happy with the look I will reach out to Bob's Speedometer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      IDEA: Run the wires through 'Tech Flex'. You can choose what color you want to use.
      Maybe a touch of red on the ends with adhesive heat shrink for added "flair".
      I will check into that. I was planning on using the heat shield sleeves from DEI for the plug boots but this may be a little cleaner looking.

I ordered some TechFlex samples to see what they look like. Thanks for the tip on that Bob.

On the gauge issue, I called North Hollywood Speedo again and they told me that there is no way to make the gauges electric due to the small size. I did call Bob's and he said they would not know unless I mailed the gauge to them and were not sure about a turnaround time either. I decided to try and make the original gauge work and to find an adapter that will fit my space. I ordered one and it looks like it will be a bit large so I will try to find a tight 90 degree adapter from 1/2" NPT male to 3/8" NPT female. The 1/2" to 1/2" I have now was just a little too deep to clear.

Thanks for the help guys!

I finally got my new Wilwood rear calipers in. I can now finish up the brake system. Two last small tubes to make and then put on the new calipers. I hope to be able to finish that this weekend.

I ordered some TechFlex samples to see what they look like. Thanks for the tip on that Bob.
      You're very welcome.
      They do have quite a bit of flexibility with regard to how fat the hose/wire/tube they're protecting is. If you heat shrink one end, then pull tight the other end, it'll be nice and snug, then heat shrink the final end. A light bit of learning curve is you want uniformity and perfection, but the final results are a nice touch.
      Pro tip: you can Super Glue the ends to give you an extra "hand" while assembling things.
      Pro tip #2: Say, you've got a red hose/tube/harness, you can use clear Techflex. Gives an extra dimension you normally don't see in a car.

Bummer on the gauges. Here's hoping you can make it work. While I REALLY hate using Amazon to recommend stuff, I think they have exactly what you need, with the added bonus of it doesn't look half bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Inline-Tube-D.../dp/B06ZYHZBDP

Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com