Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      There has been a bit more surgery. �� A little more progress on the grill. It still needs the chrome trim fabricated and mounting tabs to mount the grill in place. I think it will have a nice look when completed. As a contrast I have also posted an original grill. The difference is pretty noticeable.

Country Flag: Australia
      Much better but still reminiscent of the original
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

That's how it should have been from the factory, much improved!

What a terrific mod! If the factory had just tunneled the mesh like yours (even with the Nash-like chrome surround) it would have looked so much better.

I agree. The original grill is great looking but how it was placed in the body leaves much to be desired. I think it will look great when done. Thanks for the compliments.

The major metal work is just about done. We still have to do something about side windows but I am at the mercy of my glass guy. I wish I could get him a little more motivated.

With the grill inset it takes on a very classic Ferrari-esque look to it. Nice work.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

Volvo fan here.

This is classic!

This is kinda cool. Looks like my car is build of the week on DIYAuto.com.

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturer...y-by-68efivert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grill and trim around it has been completed. The trim will eventually be chromed. They started working on the lower valance grill. The lower valance will use an original grill the has been straightened. The headlights have also been mounted.

Work has also started on the gas cap. It will use a flush mount cap that is normally on motorcycles. It will be mounted on the top of the left rear quarter panel similar to the original only closer to the rear window. Pictures to follow........

I have also placed an order for front and rear flush mount glass. To get the ball rolling I had to buy 3 prototype sets so if anyone is looking for a set let me know. I am basically looking at dividing my cost by 3. I had to go this way in order to get glass by the time I needed it.

The front end is pretty much done. We are waiting for the wheel to finish the machine work to increase the bore size before it can be put back on the ground.

The gas filler is almost done. It will require a little shaping to contour to the body and will eventually be painted body color instead of chrome. It is a style often used on motorcycles and pops up when yo push it. It is pretty slick and smooth.

We have also decided on the paint color. It will be painted Aston Martin Tungsten Silver. It looks a little darker in this picture than it really is. When I look at it in other pictures and in daylight it is a bit lighter.

We started discussing the door handles today. You know you are in trouble when your body guy says, "With all the body mods you have made it would be a shame to leave the door handles stock." More on that to come..............

Coming along nicely
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Looking mint
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

Nice color choice. That front end has shades of Aston style (to me at least). Very, very cool work.
      1988 Mazda RX7 - Forged LS/T56, 76mm turbo, ProEFI, Ford 8.8 - Sold
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Full bolt-ons
      2016 BMW 428iX GranSport - Stock...ish.

Thanks guys. So what do you think about the lower grill matching the upper grill?

Not sure.....I was wondering how it would look without the grille inserted in the lower section? Hard to say without seeing it in the flesh but when I saw it I wondered if it was necessary and whether it detracts from the look of the main grille (which is spectacular).
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      1961 Oldsmobile 88 "bubbletop" = next project

I agree with Godbolt. Might look better open on the lower valence. Do you know what will show through there? If you have a nice oil cooler or something worth showing off, I'd leave it without a grill.
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

Love the build so far except the valance (you did ask). The upper grill looks perfect but the lower is a completely different shape, the lines do not flow. Do you need the valance at all, I personally think the car looked better without it. Maybe a subtle chin spoiler would be sufficient.

I will likely have an oil and tranny cooler behind the valance. Originally I was going to put my accusump there but it won't fit with the grill there. The accusump will now mount between the grill and the valance opening.

It does need to have a valance of some sort. Without it the front suspension is visable from the front and the front sheet metal and s about a foot off the ground. I should be able to put it back on the ground this week to get a better idea of what the car will look like at ride height.

Quote Originally Posted by Longchamp View Post
      Love the build so far except the valance (you did ask). The upper grill looks perfect but the lower is a completely different shape, the lines do not flow. Do you need the valance at all, I personally think the car looked better without it. Maybe a subtle chin spoiler would be sufficient.
      In my (very) humble opinion (since you asked), I'd agree with this statement.
      Maybe something a bit more understated. I work in the service department of a Volvo dealership, so of course when I have this thread on my screen and a tech walks by, I have to show it off. The common thought here is that it's a bit overpowering and draws more attention to itself than a "chin" should deserve.
      With all due respect, of course....

EDIT: Maybe lose the bottom "bulbous" part?

It might help people in the discussion to get another pic like in post #243 or shortly afterwards. With the front wheel on. I'd love to see it on the ground, but I really like the matching valence grill. Plenty of cars have matching grill mesh and valence mesh. Are you going to do chrome/polished mesh or black? And I really agree with you, that the front needs the valence, even if you couldn't see the suspension, I think from a side view, having the grill/bumper area down to a similar height as the side skirt looks good.

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com