Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 34 ... LastLast

So many customs miss the mark IMO

With most of these older cars like the P1800, I think they are so hard to improve upon the original design.

Some custom details work better than others, but creating an overall package that improves on the original is not easy.

Until your build, I really thought the best rendition was one that stayed pretty true to the original design (none of which have flares--but notice the side view mirrors):

But, Im really diggin your design and think it may rise to the top. It would be a remarkable accomplishment to make a custom that compares favorably to the original design.

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the compliment!

Country Flag: UK
      Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      I just received my final renderings on my car.

Thanks for sharing these images!
      My build has just started over in the UK and I'm doing something similar, although not as bespoke/extreme as yours. Initially it's mechanical work/suspension and any bodywork changes needed to accommodate suspension lowering and bigger/wider wheels.

These new images will help me work out exactly how far I want to go with some of the bodywork changes or not. I was also considering an engine swap at some point, perhaps a T5 or as I understand a XC 4.4 V8 is a potential contender.

Anyway looking forward to more updates.

This is a good image to use, to ask another question please, on your choice of wheel/tyre size?
      I'm thinking of a general suspension lowering of c60mm from stock. I'm just looking into what size of wheel I can accommodate without too much interference on control arms/suspension etc? I'm happy with a 17" wheel, and maybe something not so wide as yours, perhaps a 8-8.5" wide wheel?

Do you know from your trial and error what size wheels can fit? Width/offset etc to help in the search for the right wheel?

I received the prototype rear valance from Royalworks Speed Shop. It is a beautiful piece of work and should be available for everyone to buy soon. John does great work! We will be modifying this to fit my car. We widened the back about 5" so minor changes need to be made.

Is this rear valance available to purchase? Happy to contact RSS direct of course if it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      This is a good image to use, to ask another question please, on your choice of wheel/tyre size?
      I'm thinking of a general suspension lowering of c60mm from stock. I'm just looking into what size of wheel I can accommodate without too much interference on control arms/suspension etc? I'm happy with a 17" wheel, and maybe something not so wide as yours, perhaps a 8-8.5" wide wheel?

Do you know from your trial and error what size wheels can fit? Width/offset etc to help in the search for the right wheel?
      I am not sure how much help I will be with that question. I started out by modifying my car with a mini-tub. That moved the wheel wells all the way to the frame rails. I then had the body shop widen the rear of the car by about 5". I am also running an axle that is not the same as the stock one. My specs will not even be close to what you will need. I am running an 11" wide wheel on all 4 corners and a 315/30-18 tire.

I have heard people putting a 255 or 265 tire on the back of these cars but that will be a very tight fit with the stock wheel wells. If I were you I would ask some of the guys over at Swedespeed.com for their input. I have a build thread over there as well. Here is a link to the message board. http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdi...ES-(1959-1973)

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted on your progress. It should be a really cool car when it is done.

The rear valance was originally formed by John Royal from Royalworks Speed Shop. I purchased his original metal mold and then highly modified it to fit my modified car. I am not sure he actually went into production on the fiberglass valance he wanted to make. I believe he closed his shop and went to work for someone else but may do this on the side. His business also goes by Anointed Aero. Here is a link to his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Anointed.Aero/posts/

Cheers bud...

This. Is. Badass.

That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
      This. Is. Badass.

That's all.
      Thanks Ron. I hope to have some more pictures of the rear suspension install soon. The front crossmember is about done. Just need to figure out how to mount the coilovers in the back.

The headers look like they will be a real pain in the butt. I tried ordering some pre-made ones and none have worked. A little more time at the fab shop for the header fabrication ...............

If anyone wants to get their own going here's a start!

https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/197...493986776.html

The rear valance was originally formed by John Royal from Royalworks Speed Shop. I purchased his original metal mold and then highly modified it to fit my modified car. I am not sure he actually went into production on the fiberglass valance he wanted to make. I believe he closed his shop and went to work for someone else but may do this on the side. His business also goes by Anointed Aero. Here is a link to his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Anointed.Aero/posts/
      Just as a follow-up, I've been in contact re the fibreglass valance with Anointed Aero. Just looking into shipping costs, over to the UK. Might not be economical due to its size...

I could understand that. I shipped some Lotus Elise taillights over from England and that was a little expensive. I also have had to purchase parts from Sweden and Greece for the car. Shipping does add another element to the cost of the build. I think I paid a slight premium to buy my valance because I wanted the original metal prototype and not a fiberglass production version. We then had quite a few hours to modify it to fit my car. I am happy with the end result but it was not inexpensive to get there.

There hasn't been much done on the car in the past couple weeks. They have been working on another project in the shop lately. I hope they get back on it soon.

There has been a little more progress on my car. The front shock mounts are done. Now we just need to figure out a plan for mounting the rear shocks. After that is will come off the chassis jig and on the lift.

Here are a couple pictures of the shock mount as well as one of the transmission crossmember. The tranny crossmember still needs the front torque arm mount welded on for it to be complete. It bolts into the car and should be pretty strong.

The motor mounts are done but still need a little bit of welding. That will be done when the mock engine and transmission are removed.

The car came off the chassis table last week. The rear setup is now going in. They cut out all the old mounts for the lower link body mounts to get all the mounting points where we want them. Instead of one mounting point we will have multiple to give more adjustability.

Here is a picture of the engine bay minus the drivetrain.

I hope to have more pictures of the rear suspension later in the week.

Dang man, this build has been going on as long as mine! Hurry up and get it done already haha
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

LOL! Slow and steady wins the race.

Here is a quick video or the bottom of the car. Front suspension is done and Work has started on the rear. It took a lot of work to get out the old suspension brackets and mounts. Starting from scratch for the new torque arm. Should be a beast when it is done.

https://youtu.be/sv7W04iztWE

Nice. Next time I'm in Vancouver, I need to check the car out in person.

Tu
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

As always, I'm excited to see updates on this project. Completely outside the box and I love it!

The torque arm is now in. The panhard bar is almost done as well. The axle bracket just needs to be welded on and a little boxing on the frame side.

It looks like there will be a bit more work to do on the rear shock mount plan. Originally they were mounted on the front of the axle but the chassis guys said that it is better to have them on the rear of the axle. The plan is to remove some sheet metal and modify the floor of the car to make it happen. It won’t impact the rear seat but may require a new mounting setup for the sway bar. Two steps forward and one step back.

The panhard bar is now in place. Work is now beginning on the shock mount. The area above the wheel arch has been removed and in its place a structural crossmember will be installed. The car will still retain the rear seat but a little more real estate was needed to mount the shocks where they were designed. Hopefully that work will be done next week.

There are a couple nice dimple dies on the brace for the panhard bar.

This picture shows how the suspension will be at ride height. I am really pleased with how much ground clearance I will have under the torque arm. It really doesn’t extend much past the floor pan. The exhaust will have plenty of clearance under the center of the car. Making the tailpipes work will be a challenge though. That is one tight squeeze there.

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 34 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com