Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1968 Volvo project Pure Volvocity

I need a little advice on a detail I have been thinking about for a long time. It has to do with the center caps. They have been engrave with a prancing moose. The recessed portion is the moose and the shield border. I think I want to add some color to the details. I am torn though. I don’t want it to look busy but I don’t want the detail to be lost either.

Attached is a picture of the cap on the front wheel and the engine cover. The options are:

1) leave it as it is

2) paint the moose and shield the same yellow as the engine cover

3) paint the moose and shield body color

4) paint the moose yellow and the shield line the interior color

5) paint the area inside the shield but not the moose yellow like the engine emblem

What are your thoughts?

Name:  IMG_3699.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  198.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_3478.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  254.0 KB

Country Flag: New Zealand
      # 5 like the picture shown, as I think it looks colourful without being garish.
      cheers Russell

My 1957 Pontiac Star Chief powered by a 5.3 LS with a 4L60E transmission, on 18" US Mags Big Slots.

I agree with #5. Moose chrome, shield yellow, rest of the cap wheel color. Just like the engine cover. Great looking progress!

I like option 4 or 5. I agree that it does need some color. I think it would actually make the details pop out even more.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

To be honest? My vote would be to strip the paint off the wheels and chrome them. The caps are amazing by themselves, but when mounted to the wheels they look (at least to me) kinda like cheap add-ons and do not match the quality of the rest of the car. If you only want to work on the caps, then I'd paint the caps to match the wheels, leaving the shield and everything inside untouched. The shield could still be painted yellow if you wanted. If the wheels were chromed, the caps would look right untouched and painting the shield yellow would look nice.

#5 Is very tasteful.

Another vote for option #5, and those that don’t know, will keep referring to it as a Ferrari...
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

#5. It looks good and you should be consistent with the emblems throughout the car.

#6 paint the cap the wheel color and leave the moose and shield chrome, maybe out line the shield in black. Unbelievable car by the way!

Either #1 or #5. Both seem tasteful.

I love this build overall. It’s very well done with proper attention to detail without being overdone. It looks so much like a production car in a good way, yet is very unique. Understated may be a good way to describe it.

Weren't the center caps in the initial pictures more domed instead of cylindrical? If so, why was the design changed?

Regardless, I agree that option #5 is the way to go.

The larger center cap in the most recent picture is the bearing cap for the front wheel. The rear has a more traditional domes cap. They will not be a perfect match.

I am going to take my wheels and center cap down to my Powder coat guy on Monday. I am hoping he can match the transparent smoke finish on the outer portion of the caps/ bearing covers. I would leave the shield and Mose portion bare. That would visually make the detail the same size front to rear and still allow me to paint or leave the center how I want.

I am leaning toward yellow shield and body or black moose like Ferrari does. I just want to make the polished caps not stand out as much but only the details pop out.

Bullwinkle now has eyes and a nose. The chin (bumpers and lower valance) will be soon to follow.Name:  IMG_3713.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  293.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_3712.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  316.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_3710.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  252.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_3709.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  254.5 KB

Ooooh, myyyyyyyy!!!

This car has the most beautiful lines and flow of any car I have seen. You have done a amazing job with it. So incredible.

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Incredible build!! I'm following this project for a long time and i love it.
      Greets Paul.

'71 ford capri mk1 427 v8.
      '65 ford mustang 5.0 efi aod, running on LPG. Sold now.

AMAZING!! I think the grill might need to be darker like the wheel centers or black... thoughts?
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
      AMAZING!! I think the grill might need to be darker like the wheel centers or black... thoughts?
      That is a pretty good idea. I want to see how it looks with the black condenser mounted behind it though. It may allow it to stand out a little more but I am not sure. Thanks for the idea!

I got some powder coat that is supposed to be the same that my wheels are done in. I will do a test and if it is a match I will do the center caps outside of the shield. This could also be used for the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      That is a pretty good idea. I want to see how it looks with the black condenser mounted behind it though. It may allow it to stand out a little more but I am not sure. Thanks for the idea!
      Quick way to check - black paint and a cardboard box. Open the box so it reaches across the grill, paint the box, slap it behind the grill and see how it looks.

My only concern with the grill is the moose doesn't really stand out, and a quality piece like that should be noticed. A black grill and black condenser would help the moose stand out. It would look pretty good mounted to the front valence between the grill and hood as well.

Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com