Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      This may be the last update until I get the car running. I got my door handles installed again and the fit is much better. The transition from the new trim to the original handle is much better now.

Name:  IMG_4097.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  424.6 KB

I have a couple small item to do now then the car is ready to go to the tuner. I need to adjust the steering linkage. The u-joint on the column just isn’t getting enough engagement. I also need to set the pinion angle and put in some fuel. If I get bored I will start working on setting up the track monitoring setup and the computer side of the ABS.

Next stop will be tuning, then security and sound system followed by on last stop at the body shop to mount the hood. By September it should be off to get the interior done.

Door handles look very cool!!
      Pat

I haven't ever start the car yet but I am doing my first repair. A few years ago I needed a steering U-joint and did not want to wait for a Borgeson joint to ship so I purchased a generic one. The only non Borgeson steering joint used on my car of the 5 that were needed. Well, it has failed before I even drive the car. It has a clunky spot so I am going to replace it with a good one. No more cheap Amazon crap for me. It seem like the quality of the items on Amazon has really deteriorated over the past couple years. You used to be able to find name brand parts but most of the stuff on there now seems to be import crap. The good news is I got a new U-joint from Summit in 2 days. I will put it on tonight.

I am still waiting for the tuner to be able to take the car in. I am starting to get concerned that it will not be ready to ship to get the interior done in June. I am starting to look into a different shop to get me going but they are at least a month out as well. It is so hard to have work done now a days. Everyone is so busy.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post

I am still waiting for the tuner to be able to take the car in. I am starting to get concerned that it will not be ready to ship to get the interior done in June. ....
      Let's do the time warp again!
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

LOL! Meant to write September.

That's a bummer about your tuner... Have you considered using a remote tuner? There are a ton of great tuners out there and they can build a base startup tune to get your car running. Then they can make adjustments based on feedback and how the car performs. At least it would get you going enough to not delay the interior install.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      That's a bummer about your tuner... Have you considered using a remote tuner? There are a ton of great tuners out there and they can build a base startup tune to get your car running. Then they can make adjustments based on feedback and how the car performs. At least it would get you going enough to not delay the interior install.
      That is a good idea but unfortunately I need him to do more than the tune. I am unhappy with how the Haltech harness fits and either need to shorten it or put in a bulkhead connector. I am not comfortable with doing that. He will also have to setup the programming for the active aero and CAN bus communication between systems. All above my pay grade.

You had me scratching my head when I saw June lol. But that's getting easier these days. I hope he gets to it in time for it to go.

Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

I may have to have to come up with another option it looks like. My tuner just came down with COVID even though he had his vaccination. Caught it on vacation when he saw some family in Idaho. Sounds like it isn't too bad and hopefully he an his son get over it quickly. Kind of puts things in perspective though. Makes me and my own timeline seem less important on the grand plan of life. I have always said that nothing is ever on my timeline and this car is definitely no exception.

If you had Holley EFI on it, I'd be happy to help.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I appreciate the offer. The Haltech I am using isn't quite as supported as Holley. Haltech has a good traction control setup but is a bit more complicated to setup and the harness is way too long for my use.

I do have another company coming over to my house to take a look at it on Tuesday to see if they can help me out a little quicker. It is English Racing which is really close to my house. They do some pretty impressive work. They mostly work with Evo's and imports but know their stuff. I actually contacted them years ago to do my cage work and they referred me to where I went to. Both companies are more than capable in helping. It is just a matter of who can do it first. My current guys is likely better on setting up the programming for the traction control and active aero but that can be done later. I just need to get it running now.

1968 Volvo project Pure Volvocity

The car went off to get the tuning done and shorten the harness. A local company, English Racing, who normally does a lot of Evo, GTR and boosted car feel that they can do the job. I wanted to get a picture of the car on the tow truck but the driver was really late. This is the best I got for now.
      Name:  IMG_4146.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  628.1 KB

I also have a guy from New Zealand that will be able to make some new door glass for me. The current glass just doesn’t have the right curvature on the top and it does not seal as well as I want it to. That will take about 45 days to complete. I may have to install that after the interior is in the car.

We're waiting with you.

Got some bad news this afternoon. The shop it went to yesterday didn’t feel comfortable with doing the work today and my car is now home again. I think I am going to give Haltech a call tomorrow to order some parts and then shorten the harness myself. I am tired of waiting for people that have experience doing this stuff. Time to hire the person I trust the most, me!

I will still need some to tune and help me with some of the programming but I should be able to handle this part.

The good news I heard today is that there is a high end magazine interested in the car and likely a spot in 2022 SEMA. I just have to continue reminding myself that nothing is ever on my timeline and the quicker I realize that the smoother it will go.

Based on the work you've done, I think shortening the harness is well within your skill range. It greatly helps to have the right tools. If you can find the part numbers for the plugs on the wires you want to shorten, you can find the manufacturers documents for how to de-pin and re-pin the connectors, and what de-pinning tool is made for the connector. Having the right tool and understanding each connectors process of locking, and unlocking pins, really helps avoid broken connectors. For some help feeling more comfortable with wiring harnesses, I recommend checking out the wiring classes by HP Academy. I had bought it years ago and it was disappointing, but they redid the classes with a new guy who explains things way better. I've done a good bit of wiring in my job as a test engineer, but I still found the class helpful and plan to take the practical wiring class as well. HP Academy also has classes on tuning with Haltech, so you might be able to find what you need there too. I have no experience with Haltech personally, just HP tuners for LS engines. If you have any wiring questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

SEMA comes up quicker than you think!

I wouldn't complain. Better that the shop say "We can't handle this" than for them to make the attempt and butcher your car. Sucks you're out a tow, but it'll be tons cheaper than chasing down electrical gremlins because they messed things up.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

I agree it is way better that they come through that conclusion now than later. I am pretty confident that it will turn out well. I will take my time and be very detailed.

I learned last night that some of the connectors on the Haltech harness are not for the GM sensors. I ordered a combinations of the right sensors or connectors to fit those issues. I also ordered more harness wrap and heat shrink that matches.

The original tuner is coming over to help me figure out what terminals I am going to need. I hope to have all the supplies needed in the next 2 weeks. By the time I finish the I am hoping the 2nd guy has time for the actual computer work.

The frustration is now gone and I am looking forward to the next challenge. In the meantime, my neighbors some needed some help with his 2001 Jeep Cherokee. We put a lift kit on it a couple weeks ago and have a new radiator, water pump and transmission cooler to put on this weekend. Should be kinda fun.

Quote Originally Posted by brawls43 View Post
      Based on the work you've done, I think shortening the harness is well within your skill range. It greatly helps to have the right tools. If you can find the part numbers for the plugs on the wires you want to shorten, you can find the manufacturers documents for how to de-pin and re-pin the connectors, and what de-pinning tool is made for the connector. Having the right tool and understanding each connectors process of locking, and unlocking pins, really helps avoid broken connectors. For some help feeling more comfortable with wiring harnesses, I recommend checking out the wiring classes by HP Academy. I had bought it years ago and it was disappointing, but they redid the classes with a new guy who explains things way better. I've done a good bit of wiring in my job as a test engineer, but I still found the class helpful and plan to take the practical wiring class as well. HP Academy also has classes on tuning with Haltech, so you might be able to find what you need there too. I have no experience with Haltech personally, just HP tuners for LS engines. If you have any wiring questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.
      I actually signed up for HP Academy a year ago and have 3 course available to me. I have a basic and most i sports wiring course as well as a CAN course. I will rewatch the first two in the next week. It will be a good refresher. Great idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      SEMA comes up quicker than you think!
      Isn’t that the truth! I really wanted to have the car ready this year but won’t be even close.

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com