Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Sorry for the late reply and update. I have been reworking some of the rear suspension. We took some of the bulk out of the crossmember and boxed them even more for additional strength.

I also added a rear sway bar. The bar mounts are pretty simple. I used 2.5" angle iron and welded nuts on the back side. I boxed them in on the ends to create additional rigidity. I then had my bodyshop weld them in place. I wish I had at home for that part but it was a pretty simple job.

The bar is 37.5" long and is.188" wall hollow tube. I will likely pick up a .250" wall swaybar to swap out for track or autocross events.

I have started working with Ultimate Performance for some new JRI shocks and tuning advice. I met the owner JJ last summer when he helped me with some shocks for my Mustang last summer when he worked for JRI.

As I mentioned before, the car will be a few inches wider than stock in the rear. We've started to rework the fin in the back. They will be slightly reduced in the height as illustrated by the tape lines. It should look very close to the rendering when we're done.

The shop has also repaired the horrible fender overlap on the passenger front fender. It must've been a repair from 25+ years ago.

I can't wait to see this done, I have always liked these cars!

I owned an ES many moons ago. Loved that car, I can only imagine what kind of fun it would be LS'd.

Will be watching this...
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Just finish this whole thread, this car will be a killer once finish.

1968 Volvo project Pure Volvocity

Thanks guys. I can't wait for it to be done either.

There is a bit more progress to report this past week. They continued working on the rear quarter panels. As you can see the fun is still there but just a bit smaller. We will make some trim to fit on the flat piece on the top of the quarter panel. They have started working out the plan of how to reattach the original rear but making it about 6" wider. I am pleased with how the shape is starting to take. It should look very much like the Vox rendering. There will be some variation on the rendering on the front and rear valance. You have to have some personalization don't you?

Just wanted to say that I love the build. Let me know if you ever need a rendering.

Progress has been a little slower this past month. We had to wait for some new trunk drop down panels from Wolf to be made. They were insulted and now they have started working on the rear panel now. That is off to a pretty good start and is coming into shape .

We are still taking about tail lights and I am exploring a few options right now. I think I have a plan there but I am waiting to hear back from a guy that may be able to make what I want. Fingers crossed.

I decided I wanted to add a little touch of Volvo history to the car. Instead of advertising the wheel brand on my center caps I had new caps made. They incorporate the prancing moose logo. They came out pretty cool!

Darreld

Lol, love those caps!!!
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

So for those of us who are not well versed in all things Volvo, give us a quick history lesson on the "prancing moose."
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/pra...-stickers.html

"The stickers are the result of a combination of Volvo’s marketing department and Volvo RWD enthusiast Dave Barton. Paraphrasing Dave: in 2003, to show the accident-avoiding reflexes of the new XC90, Volvo built the “Moose Avoidance Test.” It was their bit of closed track where the XC90 stunt driver would avoid a dummy moose.

After seeing a Volvo-produced sticker on an XC90 show car — “a cartoon-like standing moose profile” — Dave got the idea to ape Ferrari by drawing the moose rearing up. Now he sells the stickers to Volvo — and recently other makes like Saab — owners all over the world. And the rest is history."

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Quote Originally Posted by LowFast View Post
      So for those of us who are not well versed in all things Volvo, give us a quick history lesson on the "prancing moose."
      Rather than Ferraris' Cavallino Rampant, it's Volvo's Alce Rampant, or älg skenande in machine translated Swedish
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Thanks with definition help guys.

I am looking at a set of Lotus Elise tail lights for my car. Does anyone know the diameter of them. As far as I can find they are about 4.5". If you know please post the info and the year of the car (S1/S2). Thanks!

I found out that they have two different sizes of light for the Lotus Elise. The first gen (S1) have 95mm 3.75" and the later Elise (S2) have 122 mm which is about 4.8". I ordered a set of S1 LED lights. We will French them in a little and have some stainless trim made . It should look killer but I have to wait for the light to come over from the UK.

Very cool! Glad to see it coming along.

I keep forgetting to take pictures when I go over there. The rear panel in pretty much done. They are finishing up the gaps on the trunk to make sure everything is the same. That involves a lot of cutting and welding to make it just right. When that is done they will have to finish off around the exhaust holes. I will also need to mount the Corvette rear bumper on there. Once that is fitted we can work on the diffuser. I guess we are quite a ways from done now that I think about it.

The tail lights I decided to use are from a Lotus Elise S1 and were shipped over from the UK. I got them in 2 days! I went for a set of aftermarket lights that were full LED and will give it a great look. The lights will be slightly frenched into the rear panel and I will have trim made to simulate the original bezels that came with the car. I will post some pictures when I get some.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8conFPYfuGU

I also go the new tires in. My plan is to have two sets of tires/wheels for the car. The existing set will be for street use and the new set will be for more track or autoX use. The new tires are 315/30/18 BFG Rival S and it doesn't look like much will be needed to make them fit! Between the mini-tub and body modifications I think I can get them to slide in there with about a 1.5" fender lip. I don't think I want the look of a flare so I will end up relocating the outter link bar to the inside and I will have all the real estate I need at that time. With all the modifications I actually thingk I could get a 335 under there without too much drama. I won't do that since that would create too much of a difference in width between front and rear tires. From what I have read and experienced you want to keep the tires no more than 40-50 mm different in width. (315-275=40mm)

The front tires will be 275/35/18 but they are still on backorder. I hope to have them in a few weeks which is in plenty of time before they will start working on the front fender modifications. The tires should fit without any major mods but I want to raise the wheel arches up an inch or two to acheive the look I am after.

Here are the new tires in their place. I will move the back spacing out by about 1/4" to allow the new wheels to all all the extra width to the inside thus allowing the old and new wheels to look exactly the same. No need for wheel spacers. The only change is to relocate the lower link to the inside.

Oops. The pictures aren't loading right now for some reason.

Fixed it.

I have all the components for the sound system. A little early but I hate to wait for parts when I do need them. The head unit is a navigation unit from Pioneer and appears to have all the bells and whistles my new cars have including a backup camera. Should be a decent sounding system.

I have had a bit of a delay in my build. The guy that was doing the metal work on my car left the company and moved to another place down the road. :( They have been working on the hood this past month repairing areas around the hinge mount and attaching a hood scoop. The rear fender arches have been tack welded but still need completed.

I was talking with the shop owner yesterday and it looks like there is another year of work to do on the car. Just about every panel is having pretty significant modifications done to it and that takes time. I am a little frustrated since there hasn't been too much done in the past year. I can see this extending another 2 years. I need to evaluate options to make this project progress a little faster. I think I will take the car home and do some of the work myself.

Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com