Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States
      So after a quick trip out of town for a week or so, I've been driving this thing around a bit more, tweaking on the tune and basically just enjoying it. For a lot of people it would be great just like it is. It's super responsive, starts idles and drives like a new car and makes a lot more power in the upper RPM range than before. But I'm not like most people and have been working with Andrew to clean up a few small areas of concern.

One is a low voltage symptom that happens with all the high draw accessories are on at the same time and the idle is slow. Andrew came up with the idea of adding a low voltage idle ramp table and it worked like a champ.

Basically the Alternator is underdriven and at the base 750 RPM idle it won't produce enough amps to keep the volts up above the minimum threshold of 12.0v the Holley ECU needs. So as the volts start to drop, the ECU starts to add idle RPM to compensate.

I've driven it around twice now on super hot days with the AC blower cranked and it works pretty good as long as I remember to push the clutch in before the trans drags the engine down below the threshold RPM when pulling up to a stoplight. It's pretty fun to watch it work.

The other thing we are working on is a chug at lower RPM high load scenario like 1500 RPM in 6th gear on the highway. It's not bad and in reality was always like this (even worse) with the carb but he thinks we can clean it up even more. I learned how to take and send datalogs and sent him several couple of days ago so he can see exactly what is going on during the chug.

Other than that...Barney finally got some Arizona Copper Tags yesterday so he's officially an Arizonian now...
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com