Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Malubu795 View Post
      the electrical stuff should have max current draw rating from the MFG.. one thing I found out with my 11" HP spal fans.. they are rated at 25A and would pop a 25A fuse on startup... did an inductive amp draw test.. sitting still they would spike 28-29A then settle down to 24-25A.. ran 30A fuses never had an issue.. had to up from 10ga to 8ga wire as well..
      in short find the amp draw rating and go next fuse bigger
      This is the reason I prefer pwm control for the fans. No start-up current spike.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I'm not going to sugar coat it...had a couple of pretty frustrating days in the shop.

I finished up putting the hose ends on the lines Friday and actually got pretty good at it by the end.

This "third hand" I picked up really helped with the process

Wish putting the tank in went as smooth. My guess is the new replacement tank is a smidge larger than the OEM tank and I struggled getting the old straps around the tank and installed. What should have taken about 15 minutes took a couple hours. Then I had to run the fuel line and my desire to make it as fit and finish as OEM led to more frustration. Between being larger diameter and stiff...I had a fight on my hands, but I got it done. I quit for the day and decided to wait until I was fresh Sunday morning to fire up the pump and test for leaks. Good thing I did...

Had the wife in the car to turn the key while I had the throttle body end of the line pointed toward a container so I could rinse the lines out before connecting to the throttle body. I had blown the lines and filter out but didn't want any trash from the pump getting into the injectors. She turned the key...nothing...

Sent her on her way and I started to chase down why. I'll save you from the horrid details but just know it wasn't until the fuel pump was back out on the bench (yes I had to drop the tank again to get it out), had jumper cables on the pins and a battery charger set at 20 amps powering them...that it finally decided to come to life. I then slowly reinstalled everything while testing the pump operation each step of the way. Once pump was back in the tank and tank raised up to installed location and all connections made, I hot wired the pump at the relay and I had fuel coming out the throttle body end of the line...and out from under the car... Seems I should have put a wrench on the inline filter housing itself to make sure the end cap of it was snugged down. Once that mess was cleaned up and line connected to throttle body again, I tested it again and NONE of my hose ends leaked... Woo Hoo! I cleaned up, aired the shop out and went in the house for a shower and a rest while the battery charged back up.

I just now returned in from the shop where I sat down in the driver seat and configured the handheld with my engine specs and uploaded the file to the ECU. I then did the TPS autoset and verified that all sensors are operational. The final screen said we are now ready to start the engine!!!

Well, kinda... I still have to fill cooling system and tighten the belts... THEN we'll be ready to fire it off.

I guess if it was easy, everyone would be doing it right? :D
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Progress!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The day still didn't go exactly as planned...but it made heat!

Lance

Making noise!

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Those flipflops need steel toes for shop use! Nice noise!
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Quote Originally Posted by rixtrix1 View Post
      Phtttt...I live in flip flops...so does DF.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Making noise!
      Bout time!!

Quote Originally Posted by rixtrix1 View Post
      Extra incentive to not drop any expensive parts on my toes...

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Ain't efi cool when it's up & running.

It was pretty cool when it fired right up...

I've ran it up to temp a couple of times and attempted to set the timing. I have it close but I need to disable active timing so it'll stay at a static 15 degrees to really dial the distributor in. Apparently I need the laptop and software hooked up to do this so I downloaded V4 to my laptop and it's ready to go.

I'm just not sure that I am. **chewing nails** I'm pretty computer savvy and can find my way around but much like my first attempt at putting hose ends on PTFE lines, I'm at a complete loss of what to do next.

Reading the instructions that I've found just doesn't help, I need a visual aid of starting from scratch hooking a laptop up to the ECU and making changes.

Really what I need to do is spend a day or two and finish putting the car back together so it's driveable once I get the engine to that point.
      Lance

I can probably give you a virtual lesson.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I can probably give you a virtual lesson.
      That would be great! I appreciate it...

Would you be up for a 10-15 minute phone call at some point on next couple of days to kind of walk me thru how this part works? My schedule is pretty flexible so at your convenience...
      Lance

Today or tomorrow would work best and my schedule is pretty flexible as well.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I PM'd you my cell #
      Lance

Gotta give a huge shout out to Andrew. The "virtual lesson" turned into a couple hour long tuning session and now the idle tune is dialed right in. Cant wait to get this thing back together and out on the road to see how it feels. I think Andrew was a little disappointed that we couldn't go further than we did today. Soon though, very soon.

Thanks Andrew...I owe ya...
      Lance

To quote the good Dr. "It's alive, it's alive"... Someone had to do it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Gotta give a huge shout out to Andrew. The "virtual lesson" turned into a couple hour long tuning session and now the idle tune is dialed right in. Cant wait to get this thing back together and out on the road to see how it feels. I think Andrew was a little disappointed that we couldn't go further than we did today. Soon though, very soon.

Thanks Andrew...I owe ya...
      Glad to help :-) I take PayPal donations...LOL

The tune is coming along nicely. Idle is super solid and stable. It helps a lot that the engine has a mild camshaft. I just talked to Lance on the phone, after he went for a drive, made changes to the tune, and sent it back. Other than optimizing the spark table (right now it is pretty safe), this thing should be doing burnouts in no time.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Holey Cow! So by noon or so I had the car all back in one piece, that pretty much went as planned. I then drove it up and put some fuel in it and made about a 2 mile circle around on city streets to get back home again. Right away driveability was good. Ever now and then it would stumble a bit but never really misfire or anything like that and I could tell it was getting better all the time. Once back I sent the Global Configuration file with the learn tables in it to Andrew and about 10 minutes later he sent me an adjusted file back. I uploaded...then went for a drive again. This time he wanted me to make a couple WOT blasts from 2000 - 6000 RPM which I did.

Also grabbed a couple video clips with my phone during this run.

Keep in mind, ambient temp is about 105 and the Manifold air temp was close to 130... On way back I rolled the windows up and turned the air on. Car's behavior didn't change one bit, still rock solid. Fans kicked on when they were supposed to and coolant temp stayed right where it is supposed too, even idling at a stoplight at 750 RPM with AC on max. THIS is what I wanted and why I did this swap.

Once back I sent the file to Andrew again and told him a few things I noticed it doing. 10 minutes later, new tune uploaded and quick jaunt just around the house close by but did get a couple of spirited WOT blasts in and man...did he wake it up!! It's back to as good as it EVER was at WOT with the Q jet (possibly better) and with non-of the side effects. I ran short on time and had to quit but I sent the file to Andrew one more time, he made a few more slight tweaks and sent it back for my next go around.

I can't wait to see how it is now.

Parked it in the garage raised the hood, went out there after my shower and no fuel smell either...another reason why I did this swap!!

Here is how it looks now...not much different really. But trust me...it's WAY different now.

Lance

Awesome and thank you!!!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

This video will bore some of you, but others may find it of interest. I made a quick jaunt around the block starting with a cold start, some open loop stop n go, then some closed loop, spirited stop n go driving finishing with a look at the Holley EFI gauges on my laptop in the passenger seat.

As you'll see it is driving VERY nicely. The one thing we are still working on a bit is a shudder when lugging between 1500-2000 RPM. It actually got better halfway thru this drive which tells me Andrew will be able to see how the ECU corrected for it and fix it permanently. The rest is spot on I think...we'll see what he says though.

Also, this is the first time it ever took that long to start cold...I think I didn't let the fuel pump prime long enough before trying to start. Still WAY better than a pump and cranking the Q Jet took. :D
      Lance

You need to adjust the mirror so we can see the smile, running trough the gears puts on your face... Looks like mission acomplished...

Joe

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com