Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      So, everything up top fits...

All the changes and new parts ended up playing pretty nice together. Next up, wiring...

I'm looking for a spark plug recommendation. Specs for the engine call for a AC Delco MR43LTS which I've used before but they are a pain around my headers. Recently I ran a NGK R5724-8 which was nice because it's shorter and easier to get around headers...but it is not available in resistor which I now need. Because one is a "marine" plug and the other is a "race" plug, I seem to be running into dead ends trying to find a shorty resistor plug. Heads are GM Fastburns. Any suggestions?
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Question about relays... My fan relays are triggered by a ground, will I need a different type of relay if it us to be triggered by 12v positive...or just wire to the pins differently?
      Lance

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Question about relays... My fan relays are triggered by a ground, will I need a different type of relay if it us to be triggered by 12v positive...or just wire to the pins differently?
      Same relay, just wire appropriately. Are you using the Holley to control the fans?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Wire exactly the same, just yours will have a constant ground and switched hot.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Same relay, just wire appropriately. Are you using the Holley to control the fans?

Andrew
      Thanks...and yes. My fan harness is set up for two ground switches and the outputs from ECU harness act as 2 ground switches so I was just going to connect the ECU outs to the fan relays where the switch grounds were. That seems like the easy part.

The new relays I'm adding are for the 12v ignition on for coil, ECU, fuel pump and one other 12v + wire on ECU harness.
      Lance

So I think my plan today is to extend and sleeve in tech flex all of the power and ground wires up to near the battery and label them...then sit down and draw up a schematic of how to wire them all to relays then battery connections. I'll post the drawing up before I begin actually hooking up though and ask for review if you dont mind.

Biggest pain I think will be extending the starter and Alt charge wires that used to go to side posts on battery.

Lance

Lance,

You're on the right track. If you're extending wires by buttsplicing, make sure you're following soldering best practices or that you're using quality unshielded butt connectors and a quality crimping tool. Them followed by adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks Andrew, I'm going to completely replace those two wires. I've got some 6 awg (I think it is) left over from the battery rewire on the RV that I think will work perfectly.
      Lance

Thanks Andrew, I'm going to completely replace those two wires. I've got some 6 awg (I think it is) left over from the battery rewire on the RV that I think will work perfectly.
      That's much better! I'm going to sound repetitive...lol...but use high quality, unshielded terminals (not from the auto parts store) and marine grade heat shrink. :-)
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

So here is what I have for connections to the battery for the ECU and fuel pump using two relays. I left the fan wiring out as it's pretty much as it was before. I'm mainly wanting to make sure I have the relay connections correct before I start pinning them.

The starter wire, charge wire from alternator, and positive for fan relays will also go on top positive battery post.

The engine ground, chassis ground, and ground from fan harness will go on top negative battery post.

I'm still trying to decide if I should put a third relay in to send 12v switched to the coil. If I do can I split off of the 12v key switched going to ECU relay to fire the coil relay also? If not I'll just find another 12v switched on fuse block and run it straight to coil.

Should the inline fuse for the fuel pump be between the battery and relay or relay and pump?

The relay box I bought on Amazon is pretty sweet I think, check it out. I will transfer the wires from my old fan harness shown below to the three bottom row relay sockets and can put the fuses for the fuel pump and fans right in the fuse slots.

Lance

Fuses go on the wire going to the 30 terminal, before the relay.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Fuses go on the wire going to the 30 terminal, before the relay.
      Thanks, if I switched 85 and 86 terminals on either one of those, would that matter? Not that I would, just trying to wrap my head around how relays work... I followed the wires into my fan harness relays to figure the above out. Two are ground switched and one is 12v positive switched...which is interesting.
      Lance

It doesn't matter how they are triggered, as long as your doing it according to what the source calls for. For instance, I am pretty sure the fan 1 and fan 2 outputs on the Holley are designated as ground. So in that case, both of the fan relays get constant +12v on the 86 terminal and the output wires from the Holley harness go to the 85 terminals.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

The ground is always on the 85 though right?
      Lance

The ground is always on the 85 though right?
      Yes
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Bosch has a pdf on relays. Has some pretty cool info on all sorts of things & ideas such as a magnetic activated trigger hidden in marker lights as a back up keyless entrance. So many different ways of doing them & certain wires are ok to reverse.
      Take 2 to 4 ibuprofen before reading though...

https://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=16784

Lance,

That Amazon box looks pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have a any internal busses. So you have to wire up all of the #30 terminals separately, instead of running one 4-6 gauge wire from the battery. This is why I suggested the Bussmann panel, as it is not just a relay center, but a power distribution module. Also, are you going to have the Holley control ignition timing? This is highly recommended. Which brings up the question of what ignition system you are using and how it will get powered.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 05-26-2019 at 12:37 PM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Lance,

That Amazon box looks pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have a any internal busses. So you have to wire up all of the #30 terminals separately, instead of running one 4-6 gauge wire from the battery. This is why I suggested the Bussmann panel, as it is not just a relay center, but a power distribution module. Also, are you going to have the Holley control ignition timing? This is highly recommended. Which brings up the question of what ignition system you are using and how it will get powered.

Andrew
      im guessing something along this line... 10 relays and 40 circuits might be a bit much lol
      http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...laymodule.html

Quote Originally Posted by Malubu795 View Post
      im guessing something along this line... 10 relays and 40 circuits might be a bit much lol
      http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...laymodule.html
      That's the big brother of the panel I was originally suggesting.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Lance,

are you going to have the Holley control ignition timing? This is highly recommended. Which brings up the question of what ignition system you are using and how it will get powered.

Andrew
      I have the Holley #8366 distributor (similar to GM small cap) with an ACDelco module in it and a Blaster SS coil and the harness that ties the distributor directly to the Holley engine harness which feeds it power. All I have to wire for ignition is white wire from engine harness to coil and tach and a power and ground to coil. I'll probably use the 6th socket for a relay to power coil.
      Lance

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com