Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      So it's free and you don't have to register...but I suggest getting there a bit earlier than I did as I got the last spot on the hot rod (80s and older) side.

Apparently they start lining up in the parking lot by the hotel about 3:30 or so and at 4 PM they move everyone into the inside part of the mall. I showed up right at 5 pm and barely got in. It is nice though as if you aren't blocked in you can leave early. I snuck out about 7:15 pm or so.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Thanks Lance. I'll try to make it on the 16th and be early.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

AZ Region SCCA Solo put on an awesome event yesterday with one of the best courses I've run on in a while. A Nationals quality course 30 minutes from home, that's hard to beat. I was a bit apprehensive walking the course as it was mostly large sweepers and straights and I've been tweaking my rear suspension setup for slaloms, not sweepers. Thankfully though the changes were good and the car handled pretty well...well enough in fact to finish 13th in Pax out of 130 drivers and 18th in raw time. Given the caliber of drivers and cars in this Region, I'm very happy with that. The latest tune in the Holley EFI really woke it up in the mid range and I can say now with certainty it makes more power everywhere than the carb and dual plane intake setup ever did. I also ran the fuel tank down to about a 1/4 tank and never once did it starve for fuel, Carl Cassonova's vaporworx setup just plain worx!

We even had a little fun in the Time Only runs swapping keys, I handed Barney's keys over to Mathew for a run while I scooted the M-T Pockets Monte around the course in exchange. Mat and Ray really have that car running faster now, I need to start watching my back as they are coming for me. Tommy still has us covered though as he finished 6th overall in Pax in his Camaro.

Here's a clip of my fastest run, check out the top speed in the straight across the middle of the course!! We race again with SCCA Nov 3rd at AMP and then Nov 15-17 at Good Guys in Scottsdale. Let me know if you want to come watch and possibly go for a ride along.

Here are the top 30 finishers sorted by PAX just to give you an idea of the cars and drivers we ran with yesterday.

Category Driver Car Best Raw Time Pax Time
      SPM Brian Peters 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE 45.428 36.706
      SPM Doug Rowse 2017 Chevrolet Corvette 45.214 36.940
      SPM Dave Schotz 2020 Toyota Supra 46.088 37.239
      SPM Steve Eymann 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46.572 38.049
      Open Tommy Tommerdal Chevrolet Camaro 47.280 38.155
      SPM Jason Bucki Camaro 47.489 38.371
      SPM Ron Bistrais 2007 Ford Shelby GT 47.073 38.412
      SPM Elliot Speidell 1995 BMW 325is 45.221 38.574
      SPM Dennis Riehle 1970 Chevrolet Camaro 46.646 38.623
      SPM Kenneth Mitchell 1989 Chevrolet Corvette 47.038 39.089
      Open Cameron Schotz Toyota Supra 48.393 39.102
      Open Lance Hamilton 1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 48.454 39.102
      Open Josh Johnston 2006 Mini Cooper JCW 49.286 39.133
      Open Sean Dickinson 2010 Chevrolet Corvette 48.346 39.354
      SPM Scot Spiewak 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 47.617 39.570
      Open James Frink 2014 Subaru BRZ 49.932 39.646
      Open Scott Urich 2015 Volkswagen Grand Tourer Injection 50.606 39.776
      Open Dave Young 2017 BMW M2 49.229 39.777
      Open Chris Groppi 2013 Subaru BRZ 49.356 40.126
      Open Matthew Edwards 2014 Ford Mustang 50.549 40.288
      Open Doug Osborne 2015 Volkswagen Golf R 49.063 40.428
      Open Martin Lippincott 2000 Mazda Miata 51.414 40.463
      Open Kim Kemper 2016 Porsche GT3RS 47.544 40.507
      Open ChrisSteele 2012 Mini Cooper S 51.079 40.557
      Open Mathew Leon 1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 50.325 40.612
      Open TimBergstrom 1993 Mazda Miata 47.418 40.637
      Ladies Kathi Van Der Werf 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS 49.988 40.840
      Open Todd Anderson 2016 Scion FRS 50.698 40.863
      Open Harry Berzes 2016 Mazda MX5 GT 50.881 40.959
      Lance

I think I'm due for a ride along. I'll be spectating at Good Guys.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      I think I'm due for a ride along. I'll be spectating at Good Guys.
      I think you'd enjoy riding along on an SCCA style course more than a Good Guys, you should try to make Nov 3rd at AMP.
      Lance

Same! I need to feel what this car can do!
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Lance:

Did you try a shock change on the TOs and if you did how did it work out? I enjoyed the ride with you on your last competition run.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      Lance:

Did you try a shock change on the TOs and if you did how did it work out? I enjoyed the ride with you on your last competition run.
      I did Kenny, I took 4 clicks of rebound out of the rear for my first run and it was better, the rear set right at the apex in the transitions and had good grip when back on throttle. I then took 3 more clicks of rear rebound out for my last run just to see and it went too far, the rear stayed under it even better...until I got back on the gas and then it was too loose. Lost too much forward bite with that change.

I've been working around several ideas of how to best mitigate my bandaids. The locker is a large contributing factor to the issue, but I can't change it out in the short term. I think what I need to do is just time how early or late the shocks\rear bar pick up and release the inside rear better in a slalom type transition. The 4 clicks out solution was pretty good. I might try the stiffest setting on the rear bar early next event just to see but I'm thinking the setup I had under it for my 2nd run in Time Onlys and just drive around it may be my best bet for now.

Did you see I was only a spot or two behind you in pax? :D I'm pretty happy with Sunday's results for certain...
      Lance

Yes I did notice the results. You did great. Hey, just throw in a 155 pound dummy like me in the passenger seat to blast the car. If my memory serves me right, you have coil-overs. Have you balance/corner weighed your car on laser level scales?
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

It's been a while and I've made some slight changes to the car since I last corner balanced it but yes...it has been done. With 57% on the front tires and left side heavy as well,, we shot for matching the cross weight % to the right side %. I then adjusted the rears slightly to make it react evenly on left and right turns. Wouldn't hurt to check it again now though. I have scales and a drive on lift so not a big deal to do.
      Lance

This shot shows how hard the car is digging a bit better I think...

Lance

More tuning on the Holley. Found and corrected several issues which created the touchy throttle and have it MUCH better now. Super easy to be very smooth on throttle now. Also added some enrichment on MAP rate of change which it didn't have before, helped tremendously with tip in power. Cant wait to race it again Sunday.

Video for attention...

Had a pretty scary hung throttle while testing yesterday. Had a green light with no traffic in front so made a pretty hard hit in first and second gear, then the throttle hung wide open going to third. Pedal was on the floor so I immediately hit the key to switch it off. After I caught my breath while still coasting I started it again with same result. Once stopped I pulled air cleaner but didn't see the culprit, fiddled with throttle cable and all seemed good so I started it again and it was fine. Once I got it back home, I discovered this...

The screws holding the throttle position sensor had come loose, one completely gone and the other finally loose enough that the shaft jumped the slot in the sensor and the sensor held the throttle open. Yes, the replacement screws got a dose of loc-tite upon reinstall and yes, throttle application is much smoother now.

I was running a datalog during the hung throttle...finally got up the nerve to look at it.

The green line is RPM... At least I know my rev limiter works now...

Lance

^^^Like
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Spent the day yesterday throwing Barney around another AZ Region SCCA Solo autocross course testing the recent changes made to correct the touchy throttle issue and I can report it is MUCH better...almost Quadrajet smooth once again. Thanks to all of those that helped diagnose and tweak the oddities that created the issue. The car ran great, rear end stayed under it for the most part and the engine made fantastic power everywhere.

Now if only the driver could do his part... The course was tough, it required patience, something I don't have much of as you'll see in the video. The real strange thing though was I ran a 54.541 on my 3rd run...AND my 4th run...using two completely different strategies... Both runs are in the attached video.

Now off to SEMA for a couple days... See a bunch of you there...

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Spent the day yesterday throwing Barney around another AZ Region SCCA Solo autocross course testing the recent changes made to correct the touchy throttle issue and I can report it is MUCH better...almost Quadrajet smooth once again. Thanks to all of those that helped diagnose and tweak the oddities that created the issue. The car ran great, rear end stayed under it for the most part and the engine made fantastic power everywhere.

Now if only the driver could do his part... The course was tough, it required patience, something I don't have much of as you'll see in the video. The real strange thing though was I ran a 54.541 on my 3rd run...AND my 4th run...using two completely different strategies... Both runs are in the attached video.

Now off to SEMA for a couple days... See a bunch of you there...

Love it. That car is mean!

Quote Originally Posted by TanMan View Post
      Love it. That car is mean!
      Thanks!!
      Lance

Still wore out from a fantastic motorsports filled weekend. Spent Friday and Saturday racing Barney at the Good Guys Fall Nationals and then spent Sunday wheeling our new Jeep up Crown King Road from Lake Pleasant to Crown King and back down.

Good Guys went fantastic. The changes made to the car to better prepare it for these kinds of courses worked great. The new rear suspension setup really helped plant the awesome power the new Holley EFI created which resulted in fast times comparable to or better than a lot of shop built, high horsepower, big tired cars on Friday. The newly sealed surface was challenging for sure but we made it work pretty well for us I thought. Then they used a vac truck to clean it up Saturday morning and man did the surface get better quick. Some drivers were running times 2-3 seconds faster Saturday morning than they did on Friday, I picked up about a second on Saturday...typically unheard of at any autocross event. We ended up 2 positions out of the 32 car field shootout after Saturday morning runs were done...then one car in the field could not continue, so Scot Spiewak made the field...leaving me out by just a few thousandths of a second. I'm okay with that as the field was stacked with purpose built cars and championship quality drivers, I was just happy to be in the running and able to head home early.

Here is my fastest run which was also my last run of the day on Saturday.

My friend Paul was in town from Iowa and took this video from the sidelines of the same run.

Had a great time seeing and hanging out with all of my racing friend from across the Country, love this event and the way it brings people to the wonderful fall weather here in Phoenix.

Speaking of wonderful fall weather, we took out Sunday morning in our other new vehicle to tackle some off road trails. The new to us Jeep did much better than even I expected and showed the 4 others with me a new form of recreation. I think they are all now fans of off roading and can't wait to do it again. The trail went from easy, to moderate, to difficult the higher we went and the Rubicon handled each obstacle with ease. Even had to go around a nice Can Am Side by Side so that we could pull him over a large rock he kept getting high centered on. Of course the Go Pro and cell phones were rolling the whole time. The views up the mountain were spectacular and the landscaped changed to 3 completely different ecosystems as we climbed. Hard to believe the views in these pics are from less than 30 miles from our house in a huge City like Phoenix. Love living here!!!

Here is a video I put together showing a bit of the trail and pulling the SXS out.

And a few of the pics from up above...

Lance

Last summer during our "off season" I made some significant changes to Barney, adding EFI to the SBC under the hood and making big changes to the rear suspension spring and bar rates. Both changes were meant to make the car not only more competitive on track, but also to make it more street friendly off the track.

It took some dialing in to make everything play nice together, not only a lot of street driving to dial the EFI in but several SCCA autocross events to dial the rear shocks and sway bars in to the new rear setup. I'm very happy with the results, Andrew helped a ton dialing the throttle response in and it is now buttery smooth in all instances and making great power every where. I also have the rear suspension dialed in so well that I have not touched a knob screw or bolt on the car since after the Sept 4th SCCA event.

Since then I drove the car to, raced, and drove home from:

A SCCA event Oct 13 (pax'd 13 out of 126)
      A SCCA event Nov 3rd (pax'd 23rd out of 110)
      A Good Guys weekend (missed top 32 shootout by .005s of a second)
      And a SCCA event Dec 1 (pax'd 15th out of 108)

All with the exact same setup in a 3500# small tire car with 57% of the weight on the front tires. Results like this are attributed to all of those that have helped me learn how to tune as well as learn how to drive over the past bunch of years. This hobby is filled with people that continue to pay it forward and this is what makes it so rewarding for me. I only hope I can continue to pay it forward to others in the same manner. Hopefully this car can be a testament that one can run competitively with purpose built autocross cars in a not so prepped, front heavy, stick axle old muscle car as long as you take the time to dial it (and the driver) in properly and still have a ton of fun in the process.

Here is a video of my fastest run at the last SCCA event. It was a tough course with several painfully slow corners that my locker did NOT agree with...but we still came away with a pretty good result.

Lance

Definitely impressive results for what truly is a street car. When I think Pro-touring, I think of a setup very much like yours.

You've paid it forward to me in multiple ways throughout my own project, thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing you at more events next season.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

So Andrew has been up to his tricks again... :D

Out of the blue I get an email from him couple days ago.

"I have a new tune for you to try. I completely reworked the fuel table and I changed the fueling strategy from speed density to VE based.

Load it up, drive it around, and let me know how it goes."

Oh My Goodness!!

He'd have to chime in with the mumbo jumbo of how and what he did, I only kind of "halfway" understand it. All I know is when I step on the loud pedal now, it goes MUCH faster!!!

I'd really like to strap this thing on a dyno now just to see not only the peak power it makes but also the curves and when it makes the power and where.
      Lance

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com